Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   Posting data - Forms vs Tables (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160157-posting-data-forms-vs-tables.html)

Fernie 12-02-2004 10:56 PM

Posting data - Forms vs Tables
 
I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different ways:

1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
2. Creating a table without using a form.

In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem. The only
difference that I was able to see is that using a form helps me to organize
and keep my labels and fields aligned on the table. Without the form, I
noticed that the first row would get out of alignment.

Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)? Are there benefits to what
gets posted to the webserver, i.e. only the fields within the form?

Thank you,

Fernie



--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

David Dorward 12-02-2004 11:12 PM

Re: Posting data - Forms vs Tables
 
Fernie wrote:

> Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)? Are there benefits to what
> gets posted to the webserver, i.e. only the fields within the form?


You shouldn't be able to have successful form controls without a <form>
element. I can only imagine that you have discovered for rather extreme
form of error correction which goes "Submitting a form... no form... lets
assume one is around the entire page... no action attribute... lets assume
its the current URI".

Depending on error correction is a very bad idea. Other (or newer versions
of the same) browsers might try to correct for your mistake in a different
way (or fail entirely).

If you want to submit form data, you must have a <form> element.

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Fernie 12-02-2004 11:40 PM

Re: Posting data - Forms vs Tables
 
Thanks David. I have both IE and Mozilla Firefox and it works fine and I've
noticed no variable accessing problems so far and we have about 6500
internet submissions using a few of my butchered forms. I really appreciate
your response and I'll get that corrected right away.

Best regards,

Fernie



--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Michael Fesser 12-03-2004 04:26 PM

Re: Posting data - Forms vs Tables
 
.oO(Fernie)

>I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
>information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different ways:
>
>1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
>2. Creating a table without using a form.
>
>In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem.


I would like to see 2) in action. I guess it's either invalid code or
unreliable Javascript. Or both.

>Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)?


To submit data to a webserver, either using GET or POST method.

Micha

Adrienne Boswell 12-03-2004 10:25 PM

Re: Posting data - Forms vs Tables
 
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Fernie"
<Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> writing in
news:6585354075B6E240Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.ne t:

> I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
> information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different
> ways:
>
> 1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
> 2. Creating a table without using a form.
>
> In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem.


As others have noted, you need that Form element.

> The only
> difference that I was able to see is that using a form helps me to
> organize and keep my labels and fields aligned on the table. Without
> the form, I noticed that the first row would get out of alignment.
>


Use CSS to align your forms - here's an example:
http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/requiredform.asp .

That form uses ASP but can easily be ported to another language. Take a
look at the source code and the CSS.

> Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)? Are there benefits to
> what gets posted to the webserver, i.e. only the fields within the
> form?
>


You would do well to read this http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/

--
Adrienne Boswell
Please respond to the Group so others can share

Fernie 12-04-2004 12:29 AM

Re: Posting data - Forms vs Tables
 

"Adrienne Boswell" <arbpen2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Xns95B492B0199A4arbpen2003sbcglobaln@64.164.9 8.29...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Fernie"
> <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> writing in
> news:6585354075B6E240Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.ne t:
>
>> I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
>> information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different
>> ways:
>>
>> 1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
>> 2. Creating a table without using a form.
>>
>> In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem.

>
> As others have noted, you need that Form element.
>
>> The only
>> difference that I was able to see is that using a form helps me to
>> organize and keep my labels and fields aligned on the table. Without
>> the form, I noticed that the first row would get out of alignment.
>>

>
> Use CSS to align your forms - here's an example:
> http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/requiredform.asp .
>
> That form uses ASP but can easily be ported to another language. Take a
> look at the source code and the CSS.
>
>> Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)? Are there benefits to
>> what gets posted to the webserver, i.e. only the fields within the
>> form?
>>

>
> You would do well to read this http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell
> Please respond to the Group so others can share


Thanks for the links, and I like your product website.

Regards,

Fernie



--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

Fernie 12-04-2004 12:29 AM

Re: Posting data - Forms vs Tables
 

"Michael Fesser" <netizen@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:sn41r05nvdaps1qn8g2do5vf3ofn7tcash@4ax.com...
> .oO(Fernie)
>
>>I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
>>information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different
>>ways:
>>
>>1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
>>2. Creating a table without using a form.
>>
>>In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem.

>
> I would like to see 2) in action. I guess it's either invalid code or
> unreliable Javascript. Or both.
>
>>Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)?

>
> To submit data to a webserver, either using GET or POST method.
>
> Micha


Thanks for your response. Now I'm using forms.

Fernie



--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.