Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question about frames (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t160057-question-about-frames.html)

Miss Jacky 11-23-2004 03:52 AM

Question about frames

Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.
There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming. The right
side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks.

-Jackie.

rf 11-23-2004 04:02 AM

Re: Question about frames

Miss Jacky wrote:

> Hi.

G'day.

> I am starting up a new web site and need some advice.

Fine. Don't use a WYSIWYDG editor and don't use frames :-)

> I was
> wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.

Don't.
Go over to google and search for "frames are evil".

> There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
> left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming.

Which will sit there forever taking up valuable real-estate?

> The right
> side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
> everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
> up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
> wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated! Thanks.

target="_top" in your home link?

Without a URL it is hard to tell.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell 11-23-2004 04:05 AM

Re: Question about frames

Previously in alt.html, Miss Jacky <missjackie@gmail.com> said:

> Hi.

G'day.

> I am starting up a new web site and need some advice.

No problem.

http://www.markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php

> The problem I'm having is that
> everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
> up

target="_top"

But not until you have read and understood the following:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
frames")

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Roy Schestowitz 11-23-2004 04:06 AM

Re: Question about frames

Miss Jacky wrote:

> Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
> wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.
> There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
> left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming. The right
> side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
> everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
> up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
> wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated! Thanks.

You could (/should) assign names your frames and then use the target
attribute in links, e.g. <a href="mypage.htm" target="body">. For the main
page you might want to try target="_top".

However, please _avoid_ frames. See the thread from 3:38 on November 15th.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Neal 11-23-2004 11:07 AM

Re: Question about frames

Miss Jacky wrote:

> The left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming.

For what reason does this need a frame? Can't it be put in the regular
content?

Sorry, but this isn't really a suitable reason to use a frame.

neredbojias 11-24-2004 07:00 AM

Re: Question about frames

Without quill or qualm, Miss Jacky quothed:

> Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
> wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.

Oh goody! Another framer! Don't expect a bunch of well-wishes and
kudos, etc., here because these guys (and broads) are prejudiced.
However, my motto is "Frames are your Friends".

> There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
> left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming. The right
> side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
> everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
> up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
> wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated! Thanks.

Post a url and I'll fix it for you free of charge.

(PS: Css sucks.)

--
Neredbojias

Duende 11-24-2004 07:04 AM

Re: Question about frames

While sitting in a puddle neredbojias scribbled in the mud:

> (PS: Css sucks.)

Great, where do I stick it in?

--
Avoid reality at all costs.

Richard 11-24-2004 07:26 AM

Re: Question about frames

Miss Jacky wrote:

> Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
> wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.
> There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
> left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming. The right
> side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
> everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
> up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
> wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated! Thanks.

> -Jackie.

Frames are out.....CSS is IN!
You can do more with CSS and not have the problems frames create.
You can create a multitude of "pages" that get shown as needed and all load
at the same time.

I'd forget that left side as a thank you thingy and put something more
useful in it like a good navigation bar.
In CSS, that would remain in place while the remainder changes as desired.

You learned html, now complement it with CSS.
I learned. You can too.

neredbojias 11-24-2004 07:37 AM

Re: Question about frames

Without quill or qualm, Duende quothed:

> While sitting in a puddle neredbojias scribbled in the mud:
>

> > (PS: Css sucks.)
> >

> Great, where do I stick it in?

If the w3c would have approached the problem from the correct angle in
the first place there would be no hole in which to insert anything.

--
Neredbojias

Barbara de Zoete 11-24-2004 09:11 AM

Re: Question about frames

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:26:53 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

> Miss Jacky wrote:
>
>> Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
>> wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.

> Frames are out...

No, they are not. They are very useful in certain situations.

> ..CSS is IN!

It's not IN at all. It is just a very efficient way to create and maintain
presentation and layout for you pages if rendered in amodern graphical
browser.

> You can do more with CSS

Can yuo substantiate that claim? Can you for instance, create a fixed top
and left column with valid HTML 4.01 strict, CSS2.1 and rendered in
standards compliant mode that works cross browser (including the ancient
browser IE6)?

> and not have the problems frames create.

If frames are done properly, there are no problems. As always it is the
designer/developer of a site that has to apply the chosen technique
properly and with frames it is certainly more easy to do it wrong than
without frames, but that is no excuse.

> You can create a multitude of "pages" that get shown as needed and all
> load at the same time.

I am not sure what you are saying here? Why would anyone want a multitude
of "page" (what's with the quotes?) load at the same time?

> I'd forget that left side as a thank you thingy and put something more
> useful in it like a good navigation bar.
> In CSS, that would remain in place while the remainder changes as
> desired.

As it does with frames.

Don't get me wrond. I don't like frames any more than you do, but throwing
around unargumented claims is not likely going to convince anyone that
they should grow a dislike for them too (or atleast some healthy
suspicion).

--
Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>