Velocity Reviews

-   -   Redesign, give it me ! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t159716-redesign-give-it-me.html)

SamuŽl van Laere 10-19-2004 11:32 PM

Redesign, give it me !

Well i've done a redesign of a tables site.
My version isn't perfect, but its a whole lot better then the original, i
hope anyway.
Haven't got a clue why i'm here, does anyone know??

Some bits where left out, its the tought that counts right?
I'm aware of some isues; enlarging the textsize in the browser
causes IE to push the containing DIV out, while on Firefox
the contents of the list disappear under the DIV.
Ok leave some - nice if possible - remarks if you wish.
Do you know how to fix some of those isues? Come forward :))

Original version:
http://www.discriminatiezaken-wb.nl/
Sam's version:
http://www.fortron.net/bdwb/

<drunk>
I'm aware of the critique group, in case one object's with my post :P
O and if you do object go and see Brucie, he will sort ya out
Right Bruce? ;)
</drunk>

Regards,
Samuel

Henry 10-19-2004 11:48 PM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

SamuŽl van Laere wrote:

> Original version:
> http://www.discriminatiezaken-wb.nl/

Looks good and works good!

> Sam's version:
> http://www.fortron.net/bdwb/

Just bigger fonts and... I like the first one!

Smaller fonts and look more polished, mor 'pro'.

I didn't checked source but... loading speed is close to each other.

Of course new one is all in css! ;)

A lot of effort and... no visible results.

Al least you know how to use css now.

;)

Mark Parnell 10-20-2004 12:05 AM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:32:33 GMT, SamuŽl van Laere <ometoon@chello.nl>
declared in alt.html:

> Original version:
> http://www.discriminatiezaken-wb.nl/
> Sam's version:
> http://www.fortron.net/bdwb/

Hmmm...nicely done. A bandwidth saving of around 75% - not taking
cacheing into account.

Not sure that I like your choice of fonts, especially the first section
of the main content.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

SamuŽl van Laere 10-20-2004 12:20 AM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

"Mark Parnell" <webmaster@clarkecomputers.com.au> wrote:

> Hmmm...nicely done. A bandwidth saving of around 75% - not taking
> cacheing into account.
>
> Not sure that I like your choice of fonts, especially the first section
> of the main content.

I agree with you on the fonts in the content section.
If i just knew what the original uses, still have to find out.
I consider it nearly done, just the fonts and thats it for me.
75% mmm, how do you check for that?

Probally works fine under (most) Linux/Mac browsers, not checkt though.

Regards,
SamuŽl

Barefoot Kid 10-20-2004 01:01 AM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

:
[...]

not really a redesign looks like the 1st one but with bigger fonts
--
Hung Diep
http://www.intro-spect.co.uk

SamuŽl van Laere 10-20-2004 01:05 AM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

"Barefoot Kid" <hungdiep@intro-spect.co.uk> schreef in bericht
news:MNidd.115114$BI5.22297@fe2.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

> not really a redesign looks like the 1st one but with bigger fonts
> --
> Hung Diep

Very true.
Its not a redesign, its a css over tables design.

Regards,
Sam

Mark Parnell 10-20-2004 01:09 AM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:20:11 GMT, SamuŽl van Laere <ometoon@chello.nl>
declared in alt.html:

> I agree with you on the fonts in the content section.
> If i just knew what the original uses, still have to find out.

Verdana. *spit*.
http://www.discriminatiezaken-wb.nl/styles.css

> 75% mmm, how do you check for that?

Just looked at the page size for both, and added the size of the CSS
file to your version. Yours works out to be about 7k, the other is just
over 27k. That doesn't include images, though - so probably not as high
a % once you take that into account. But then again, it's probably
better when you take caching into account, because the images and css
file will generally only be downloaded the once.

*Eek!* Just looked at the source for their version. No wonder it is so
huge. There is a ridiculous amount of Javascript on that page.

> Probally works fine under (most) Linux/Mac browsers, not checkt though.

I only checked in Moz 1.7 and IE6 (Win2k).

Jeffrey Silverman 10-20-2004 04:27 PM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:20:11 +0000, SamuŽl van Laere wrote:

> Probally works fine under (most) Linux/Mac browsers, not checkt though.

Works fine in my browser -- Moz1.7/Linux

Except I can't read it at all!

--
Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffreyPANTS@jhu.edu
Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

nice.guy.nige 10-20-2004 04:58 PM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

While the city slept, SamuŽl van Laere (ometoon@chello.nl) feverishly
typed...
[...]
> <drunk>
> I'm aware of the critique group, in case one object's with my post :P
> O and if you do object go and see Brucie, he will sort ya out
> Right Bruce? ;)
> </drunk>

Ooh... you called him "Bruce"... now you're for it! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

Nik Coughin 10-20-2004 08:45 PM

Re: Redesign, give it me !

nice.guy.nige wrote:
> While the city slept, SamuŽl van Laere (ometoon@chello.nl) feverishly
> typed...
> [...]
>> <drunk>
>> I'm aware of the critique group, in case one object's with my post
>> :P O and if you do object go and see Brucie, he will sort ya out
>> Right Bruce? ;)
>> </drunk>

> Ooh... you called him "Bruce"... now you're for it! ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Nige

He might be able to apply for an exemption, on the grounds that as he got it
right earlier in the post, the latter occurrance was a typo. But he might
be turned down for the exemption because of his capitalisation.