Velocity Reviews

-   -   users provide articles with formatted text (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t159687-users-provide-articles-with-formatted-text.html)

PeP 10-17-2004 11:26 AM

users provide articles with formatted text

hi,
i'd like to give the possibility to my website users
to publish their own articles made with formatted text
and an image.

they want to write the text connecting directly to a page
that provide them a html editor.
(one can select text and put it in bold or italic or underlined
and so on). (see www.peppe.info/articoli)

unfortunately it seems to work only on internet explorer for win.
no other browser/platform works.

is there another solution to that?

thanks in advance

brucie 10-17-2004 11:37 AM

Re: users provide articles with formatted text

In alt.html PeP said:

> hi,

g'day

> they want to write the text connecting directly to a page
> that provide them a html editor.
> (one can select text and put it in bold or italic or underlined
> and so on). (see http://www.peppe.info/articoli)

flash with a normal form as backup if flash is unavailable

--

v o i c e s

PeP 10-17-2004 12:12 PM

"brucie" <****@usenetshit.info> ha scritto nel messaggio
> In alt.html PeP said:
>
> > hi,

> g'day
>
> > they want to write the text connecting directly to a page
> > that provide them a html editor.
> > (one can select text and put it in bold or italic or underlined
> > and so on). (see http://www.peppe.info/articoli)

> flash with a normal form as backup if flash is unavailable

do you mean macromedia flash?
i don't understand ...

brucie 10-17-2004 12:14 PM

In alt.html PeP said:

>> flash with a normal form as backup if flash is unavailable

> do you mean macromedia flash?

yes, for the functionality you want it'll give you the best cross
browser compatibility but not everyone has it so a normal form should
still be available for those people.

> i don't understand ...

design the form with flash.

--

v o i c e s

PeP 10-17-2004 12:21 PM

> In alt.html PeP said:
>
> >> flash with a normal form as backup if flash is unavailable

> > do you mean macromedia flash?

> yes, for the functionality you want it'll give you the best cross
> browser compatibility but not everyone has it so a normal form should
> still be available for those people.
>
> > i don't understand ...

> design the form with flash.

ok now it's clear
but i do not use flash so i ask you one more thing:

once i provide the flash text-area or text-box,
users can edit the text formatting it .. ok?
and when they submit the form, what happens to the text?
does it work as a normal form? i need to pass the formatted text to a cgi or
perl script

thank you for your attention

brucie 10-17-2004 12:25 PM

In alt.html PeP said:

>> design the form with flash.

> ok now it's clear

great

> but i do not use flash

nor i

> so i ask you one more thing:

ask a flash person

--

v o i c e s

Jukka K. Korpela 10-17-2004 04:26 PM

"PeP" <iosono@inwind.it> wrote:

> hi,
> i'd like to give the possibility to my website users
> to publish their own articles made with formatted text
> and an image.

First, stop multiposting.

Second, learn to use the "shift" key. It is minimal courtesy to people
who you ask to help you for free.

Third, tell the users how to create Web pages and upload them onto a
server. That way they will have the opportunity to test them locally
before uploading _and_ to maintain them normally.

If you business idea consists of trying to make people submit their
material onto your site, for whatever purpose, please note that the idea
has been invented umpteen times, and found wanting.

This is _so_ revealing (part of the search engine spamming attempt
omitted here for brevity):

FRAME: inteframe
FRAME: mainframe

Peppe.Info richiede un browser che supporti i frame.
Peppe.Info requires a browser supporting frames.
L'Informatica di Peppe Cervera. Siti, assistenza, consulenza, lezioni
private, ECDL.
[...]

Fourth, post again if problems remain, but note the advice above.

Fifth, allow 8 days for delivery of useful advice after you've presented
your question properly.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

PeP 10-17-2004 05:13 PM

Re: users provide articles with formatted text

> First, stop multiposting.

I posted my question on two newsgroups, why should it be wrong? I don't
think it's spamming.

> Second, learn to use the "shift" key. It is minimal courtesy to people
> who you ask to help you for free.

I really don't understand, I used all small characters, it's a common use
with e-mails, chats and newsgroups, isn't it?
If not, I'm sorry but please don't take offence!

> Third, tell the users how to create Web pages and upload them onto a
> server. That way they will have the opportunity to test them locally
> before uploading _and_ to maintain them normally.

I have my reasons to prefer my way to do in this case.
My users don't want to learn anything about HTML and Web stuff,
they only want to publish articles. That's all!

> If you business idea consists of trying to make people submit their
> material onto your site, for whatever purpose, please note that the idea
> has been invented umpteen times, and found wanting.
>
> This is _so_ revealing (part of the search engine spamming attempt
> omitted here for brevity):
>
> FRAME: inteframe
> FRAME: mainframe
>
> Peppe.Info richiede un browser che supporti i frame.
> Peppe.Info requires a browser supporting frames.

And so?
What should this reveal?
I have no idea of business, I'm only a HTML self-thaught, peppe.info is my
personal website, infact Peppe is my first name,
it's an empty website because I use it to learn HTML and do my tests,
what's wrong with this?

> Fourth, post again if problems remain, but note the advice above.

Sure, I'll post every time I want.

> Fifth, allow 8 days for delivery of useful advice after you've presented
> your question properly.

I think I did.
In fact I received an useful answer from Brucie.

After all, I believe you're angry(?) with me for no reason,
and please have more doubts in your life,
you seem too sure of yourself, maybe you're wrong sometimes!

And finally, sorry if my English is not perfect, I'm a self-thaught.
Best Regards, Mr Jukka K. Korpela

PeP

P.S.: if you know the answer to my question please post it. Thank You.

Jukka K. Korpela 10-17-2004 05:47 PM

"PeP" <iosono@inwind.it> wrote:

>> First, stop multiposting.

> I posted my question on two newsgroups, why should it be wrong? I
> don't think it's spamming.

Nobody said it was spamming. Just that it was wrong.

And it is wrong to E-mail _and_ post your reply, especially when you
didn't even tell what you were doing.

> I really don't understand,

I won't argue with that.

> I have my reasons to prefer my way to do in this case.

Have fun with them.

> My users don't want to learn anything about HTML and Web stuff,
> they only want to publish articles. That's all!

That's all you tell us.

> And so?
> What should this reveal?

Your cluelessness. Attempt to spam search engines, with an insult to all
people who actually view your page in a noframes-capable browser.

> it's an empty website because I use it to learn HTML and do my tests,
> what's wrong with this?

So what were your users, then?

>> Fourth, post again if problems remain, but note the advice above.

> Sure, I'll post every time I want.

Fine. Knowledgeable people already have sufficient reasons for plonking
you, so you won't become a serious nuisance as long as you keep using the
same From line.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

PeP 10-17-2004 06:29 PM

Re: users provide articles with formatted text

> Nobody said it was spamming. Just that it was wrong.
I said before, you never have doubts...
How many times I posted on this newsgroup? Once or twice.
That's enough for you to say that I'm the wrong guy to be plonked!
But you must know that there is the possibility that I sent my post on two
newsgroups by mistake.
And I know by myself that's wrong.

> I won't argue with that.

Please explain me the use of Shift key.

> Your cluelessness. Attempt to spam search engines, with an insult to all
> people who actually view your page in a noframes-capable browser.

Stop it. In two years that website had very few hits (and many are mine).
I don't need to spam search engines nor insult anyone,
it's an empty site for personal use only.
Why it is so hard to understand?

> > it's an empty website because I use it to learn HTML and do my tests,
> > what's wrong with this?

> So what were your users, then?

I do my tests on that website.
That page is an example and will be uploaded on another site
if it will work.

> > Sure, I'll post every time I want.

> Fine. Knowledgeable people already have sufficient reasons for plonking
> you, so you won't become a serious nuisance as long as you keep using the
> same From line.

I intented to say that I know by myself when to post ... and don't need your
advice
and your nuisance.
Have a nice day tomorrow, it seems today you had a bad one.