Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: Dedicated Server (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t159671-ot-dedicated-server.html)

Jeff Thies 10-15-2004 07:15 PM

OT: Dedicated Server

I'm getting very tired of bad tech support and am considering a
dedicated server. I see that you can get these now for under $100/month.

I'd probably go Linux and Apache, although I see that win2000 and
win2003 boxes run MySQL, perl, php and other typical *nix stuff rather well.

I'm concerned about security, as I have little knowledge of this.
Setting up the box is less problematic but I would need a utility to
manage multiple domains graphically (editing Apache config files is no joy).

Opinions?

Jeff

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. 10-15-2004 09:15 PM

Re: Dedicated Server

"Jeff Thies" <jeff@spamalanadingong.com> wrote in message
news:glVbd.5401$SZ5.1898@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> I'm getting very tired of bad tech support and am considering a
> dedicated server. I see that you can get these now for under $100/month.
>
> I'd probably go Linux and Apache, although I see that win2000 and
> win2003 boxes run MySQL, perl, php and other typical *nix stuff rather
> well.
>
> I'm concerned about security, as I have little knowledge of this.
> Setting up the box is less problematic but I would need a utility to
> manage multiple domains graphically (editing Apache config files is no
> joy).
>
> Opinions?

Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none of
the administration hassles of having your own server.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts

Toby Inkster 10-16-2004 12:26 PM

Re: Dedicated Server

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

> Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none of
> the administration hassles of having your own server.

The administration hassles *are* the fun!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./goo_goo_dolls/name.ogg

Karl Core 10-17-2004 01:01 PM

Re: Dedicated Server

"Toby Inkster" <usenet200410@tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.10.16.12.26.33.445841@tobyinkster.co .uk...
> Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:
>
>> Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none
>> of
>> the administration hassles of having your own server.

> The administration hassles *are* the fun!

Masochist!

-Karl

Ken 10-17-2004 04:21 PM

Re: Dedicated Server

Hi Karl and Toby -

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:01:29 -0400, "Karl Core"
<karl@NOSPAMkarlcore.com> wrote:

>"Toby Inkster" <usenet200410@tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:pan.2004.10.16.12.26.33.445841@tobyinkster.c o.uk...
>> Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:
>>
>>> Get a managed dedicated server. That way you get all the fun and none
>>> of
>>> the administration hassles of having your own server.

>> The administration hassles *are* the fun!
>>

>Masochist!

I guess it depends on how you define "hassles". Dealing with problems
is not fun; but editing your own config files is.

I consider it fun to be in complete control over my domains; that's
why I went from virtual hosting to a virtual server and then to an
in-house server that's sitting about five feet away from me. I built
it. I installed the operating system (linux) and application
software. I configured it using a text editor.

Ditto for my firewall/router, whose iptables script I developed
myself, so I understand what it is doing.

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/