Velocity Reviews

-   -   Printer Friendly Version? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t159540-printer-friendly-version.html)

Les Coover 10-02-2004 05:40 AM

Printer Friendly Version?

Where can I get some information about making
a printer friendly version (prints as hardcopy
without URL address--just document) of
a Web page?

Thanks in advance,

Les

David Dorward 10-02-2004 06:46 AM

Re: Printer Friendly Version?

Les Coover wrote:

> Where can I get some information about making
> a printer friendly version

Look up the media types section of the CSS 2 specification.

> (prints as hardcopy without URL address--just document) of
> a Web page?

That header isn't part of the document. Author code can't remove it.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Spartanicus 10-02-2004 07:04 AM

"Les Coover" <lcc66604@cox.net.spam> wrote:

>Where can I get some information about making
>a printer friendly version

There's this thing they've invented (perhaps you've heard your friends
talk about it): it's called the world wide web and it's full of
information: http://www.google.com/search?q=css+print

Beware of the many UA media type bugs:
http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/p...rSummary.shtml

--
Spartanicus

Nico Schuyt 10-02-2004 07:30 AM

Les Coover wrote:
> Where can I get some information about making
> a printer friendly version (prints as hardcopy
> without URL address--just document) of
> a Web page?

First CSS. Step by step: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/
In addition (suppressing headers and footers of the browser):
http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/u...N?OpenDocument

--
Nico
www.nicoschuyt.nl

Les Coover 10-03-2004 10:54 PM

"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Les Coover wrote:
> > Where can I get some information about making
> > a printer friendly version (prints as hardcopy
> > without URL address--just document) of
> > a Web page?

> First CSS. Step by step: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/
> In addition (suppressing headers and footers of the browser):
> http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/u...N?OpenDocument
>
> --
> Nico
> www.nicoschuyt.nl

Thank you for the information, We already have Acrobat files that users can
print but of course
they have to download Adobe Acrobat. I was trying to find a way where no
install is necessary.
The information you gave me seemed complicated to me (I'm fairly new at this
and need to
keep it simple). If I delete the title of the Web page the following code
will print documents
with the Web page address in the footer and a page number in the header
(that may be enough
for very short forms).

<P><font size="+0" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><a
href="javascript:print()">Print
Page</a></font>

Is there a tag I can put in to make the "Print Page" text visible on screen,
but not on paper?

Les

Toby Inkster 10-03-2004 11:05 PM

Les Coover wrote:

> Is there a tag I can put in to make the "Print Page" text visible on screen,
> but not on paper?

As Nico said -- look into the CSS print media.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Nico Schuyt 10-04-2004 06:41 AM

Les Coover wrote:

> Is there a tag I can put in to make the "Print Page" text visible on
> screen, but not on paper?

Use the code below and see what happens when printed.
Look at http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_examples.asp too.

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<title>Test</title>
body {margin-left: 10%; color: blue; background: white}
h1 {color: red; background: transparent}
p.special {color: red; font-weight: bold}
p.special {display:none}
</head>
<h1>CSS</h1>

--