Velocity Reviews

-   -   critique these sites please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t159395-critique-these-sites-please.html)

Developwebsites 09-14-2004 01:34 AM

critique these sites please

http://www.siggraph.org

WebcastMaker 09-14-2004 02:05 AM

Re: critique these sites please

In article <20040913213437.09431.00000723@mb-m05.aol.com>,
developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM says...
> http://www.siggraph.org

For the most part I like it, but...

Run it through the validator and fix the few errors you have. Nothing
serious, and easy to fix.

I don't like pages that have multiple columns that by the bottom of the
page there is only 1 thin column with content.

Why is the menu on every page BUT the helpdesk?
--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

The Doormouse 09-14-2004 02:19 AM

developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM (Developwebsites) wrote:

> http://www.siggraph.org

It does not validate.

Would you like a critique of the design? That sucks, too.

The Doormouse

Neal 09-14-2004 03:20 AM

Re: critique these sites please

On 14 Sep 2004 01:34:37 GMT, Developwebsites
<developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM> wrote:

> http://www.siggraph.org

"These sites" implies more than one. This is one site.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...iggraph.org%2F

7 errors.

1) script requires type attribute.

2) link element must go in body.

3) table does not take attribute height

4, 7) img requires attribute alt

5) tr cannot take attribute height

6) some unallowed characters in there - looks like maybe a long dash
character.

Karl Groves 09-14-2004 10:26 AM

"Developwebsites" <developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM> wrote in message
> http://www.siggraph.org

Above & beyond the HTML issues mentioned by others, this thing is in serious
trouble from an Information Architecture & navigation standpoint.
The front page is just vomitting links on your user's screen and the rest of
the site isn't much better.

-Karl

nice.guy.nige 09-14-2004 10:57 AM

Re: critique these sites please

While the city slept, Developwebsites (developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM)
feverishly typed...

> http://www.siggraph.org

Quite nice. Crisp design. Good use of colour. However...

It would be nice on the home page to start off with a short description of
who and what the organisation is.
There seem to be too many links to articles down the right hand side. Maybe
a short list of the latest news items, followed by a link to "more news"?
The top menu bar is just white text on a dark blue background, so why not
use ordinary text for this instead of images? Will load quicker, and the
text can then be resized.
As others have said, fix your HTML errors.

Other than that, like I said, a quite nice and crisp design.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

mark | r 09-14-2004 11:11 AM

Re: critique these sites please

add line spacing its way too bunched up, also use a bullet point or
somethgin on the side meny to separate the items

all the internal pages differ in design?

rf 09-14-2004 11:24 AM

mark | r wrote:

> add line spacing its way too bunched up, also use a bullet point or
> somethgin on the side meny to separate the items

Er, are you replying to somebody?

<checks rest of thread>
Oh I see.

Well I don't agree. The line spacing is at its default, as it should be. If
you don't like it then construct yourself a user style sheet.

> all the internal pages differ in design?

True, confusing.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Barefoot Kid 09-14-2004 05:04 PM

Re: critique these sites please

"Developwebsites" <developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM> wrote in message
: http://www.siggraph.org

info overload on front page but saying the visitor has no idea wot the site
is about, for an organisation devoted to computer graphics the design(???)
is very dull
--
Hung Diep
http://www.intro-spect.co.uk

Developwebsites 09-15-2004 01:55 AM

Re: critique these sites please

>Run it through the validator and fix the few errors you have.

I didnt create this site, just asking what your opinion of it is.
It's like if I ask you to critique a movie, that doesnt mean I made it, right?