Velocity Reviews

-   -   Good Picture Editor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t159151-good-picture-editor.html)

James Smith 08-22-2004 12:43 PM

Good Picture Editor

Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :-)

Nico Schuyt 08-22-2004 12:49 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

Try http://www.irfanview.com/ or http://www.xnview.com/

--
Nico
www.nicoschuyt.nl

nice.guy.nige 08-22-2004 12:52 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

While the city slept, James Smith (jncsmith@optusnet.com.au) feverishly
typed...

> Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
> Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :-)

Erm... but Gimp *is* free!

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss
http://www.nigenet.org.uk

David Dorward 08-22-2004 12:56 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

James Smith wrote:

> Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
> Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :-)

Try Gimp - its EXACTLY like Gimp, but free!

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Toby Inkster 08-22-2004 01:00 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

James Smith wrote:

> Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
> Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :-)

The GIMP is free.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

James Smith 08-22-2004 01:26 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

James.

David Dorward 08-22-2004 01:58 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

James Smith wrote:

> Alright, so it's late at night for me

Please don't top post.

> , I know gimp is free. but I can't
> seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
> does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

Well, 30 seconds with Google found me:
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/No...ticle121.shtml

.... which shows how to do that about 1/3rd of the way down the page. (OK, so
it fades to a different image... just make that other images 100%
transparent).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Deryck 08-22-2004 02:26 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

"James Smith" <jncsmith@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:412894dd$0$31399$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
> Hi, just wondering if anyone has come accross a good picture editor?
> Something similar to Gimp or Paint Shop Pro. But free. :-)

Try Picasa, www.picasa.com. It's more of a photo organiser but has some
features for editing pictures: red-eye removal, cropping, etc, etc.

Youre right that Paintshop Pro isnt free but you can sometimes find an
earlier release of it free on the front of PC magazine covers. You still pay
for the magazine of course. :)

HTH

Deryck

Toby Inkster 08-22-2004 02:34 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

James Smith wrote:

> Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
> seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
> does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

That's easy.

1. Start the GIMP.

2. File > New > whatever size you like.

3. Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel.

4. Hit Ctrl+K.

5. Hit "L".

6. In the "Tool Options" dialogue box, click the "Gradient" button.

7. Select "FG to transparent".

8. On the main dialogue box, select the colour you want as a foreground
colour.

9. Drag a line in the image.

(These instructions are based on The GIMP 2.0pre3. Other versions may
differ slightly.)

e.g. http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/fade2transparent.html
(Note the purple image fades into transparency. Tested in Opera 7.53 Linux.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Blinky the Shark 08-22-2004 10:27 PM

Re: Good Picture Editor

James Smith wrote:

> Alright, so it's late at night for me, I know gimp is free. but I can't
> seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I want to have a picture that
> does a gradient on one side to a transperent colour.

Along with the answers you've received from others:

comp.graphics.apps.gimp for next time.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New Link - Aug 19