Velocity Reviews

-   -   LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t159077-link-alink-vlink-colours-dont-behave.html)

Peter Charles 08-15-2004 01:37 PM

LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
not so the internal references.

The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
colour will never appear again on that computer.

I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
returns to its proper colour.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Peter Charles 08-15-2004 01:44 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

I should add that this problem exists in IE6. I get the reverse
problem in Mozilla -- again, external references are fine but with
Mozilla, the colour always stays at the LINK setting and VLINK never
appears. In both cases, ALINK works fine.

PeterMcC 08-15-2004 01:51 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

Peter Charles wrote in
<tvouh0935m2m6560qs62git5mpgaavgvld@4ax.com>

> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
> same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
> not so the internal references.
>
> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
> a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
> the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
> never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
> colour will never appear again on that computer.

Isn't that what they're supposed to do, unless the history is cleared?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Dylan Parry 08-15-2004 01:59 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

Spake Peter Charles unto thee:

> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the same
> page. The colours of the external references work fine, however, not so
> the internal references.

I assume you've done this in the correct cascade order? (link, visited,
active, hover).

> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use a
> computer for the first time, access a page with internal references, the
> colours for LINK are displayed properly.

With you so far. Sounds about right.

> Once I use that link, it never displays the LINK colour again, only the
> VLINK colour. The LINK colour will never appear again on that computer.

This is normal behaviour. Once a link has been visited it is supposed to
show the a:visited colour and not the a:link colour. This will continue
to be the case until the visitor clears their history, or the history
entry for that link expires according to the browser settings.

> I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
> returns to its proper colour.

It _is_ it's proper colour. When a visitor has clicked a link they want to
know that they have, and you shouldn't try to change the behaviour of
their browser.

--
Dylan Parry
http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

'I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me.' -- A A Milne

Peter Charles 08-15-2004 02:11 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:59:49 +0100, Dylan Parry
<usenet@dylanparry.com> wrote:

>> I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
>> returns to its proper colour.

>It _is_ it's proper colour. When a visitor has clicked a link they want to
>know that they have, and you shouldn't try to change the behaviour of
>their browser.

OK, I wasn't concerned with changing it immediately, rather I would
have liked the external references and internal references to behave
the same. The external references behave as one would expect but the
internal references have this degree of permanence. One other
behaviour, once you visit one internal reference, exit the page, then
return, all internal references are the VLINK colour.

Peter Charles 08-15-2004 02:12 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:51:35 +0100, "PeterMcC" <peter@mccourt.org.uk>
wrote:

>Peter Charles wrote in
><tvouh0935m2m6560qs62git5mpgaavgvld@4ax.com>
>
>> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
>> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the
>> same page. The colours of the external references work fine, however,
>> not so the internal references.
>>
>> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use
>> a computer for the first time, access a page with internal references,
>> the colours for LINK are displayed properly. Once I use that link, it
>> never displays the LINK colour again, only the VLINK colour. The LINK
>> colour will never appear again on that computer.

>Isn't that what they're supposed to do, unless the history is cleared?

I should have made it clearer that the external references behave
properly, the internal ones do not. I would like the internal
references to behave like the external ones.

Dylan Parry 08-15-2004 02:19 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

Spake Peter Charles unto thee:

> OK, I wasn't concerned with changing it immediately, rather I would
> have liked the external references and internal references to behave
> the same. The external references behave as one would expect but the
> internal references have this degree of permanence. One other
> behaviour, once you visit one internal reference, exit the page, then
> return, all internal references are the VLINK colour.

I knew what you meant, but it doesn't change anything - it's still normal
browser behaviour. The reason why you are seeing this behaviour is because
the fragment (bit after the #) is not part of the URL and so #marker1 and
#marker2 are not considered distinct history entries if part of the same
page.

This means that if you visited example.com/index.html#marker1 then
all the other anchors on the page that referenced other markers on the
page would also be shown as visited. This is because in essence you have
only visited the one page, index.html, and all those other links also
point to index.html - the fragment makes no difference whatsoever.

Peter Charles 08-15-2004 02:20 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:59:49 +0100, Dylan Parry
<usenet@dylanparry.com> wrote:

>Spake Peter Charles unto thee:
>
>> I've set colours for LINK, ALINK, VLINK via a style sheet for anchors
>> that reference other URLs as well as internal references within the same
>> page. The colours of the external references work fine, however, not so
>> the internal references.

>I assume you've done this in the correct cascade order? (link, visited,
>active, hover).
>
>> The internal references work properly once on a computer. So if I use a
>> computer for the first time, access a page with internal references, the
>> colours for LINK are displayed properly.

>With you so far. Sounds about right.
>
>> Once I use that link, it never displays the LINK colour again, only the
>> VLINK colour. The LINK colour will never appear again on that computer.

>This is normal behaviour. Once a link has been visited it is supposed to
>show the a:visited colour and not the a:link colour. This will continue
>to be the case until the visitor clears their history, or the history
>entry for that link expires according to the browser settings.
>
>> I need to have some way of refreshing the colours so that the LINK
>> returns to its proper colour.

>It _is_ it's proper colour. When a visitor has clicked a link they want to
>know that they have, and you shouldn't try to change the behaviour of
>their browser.

I should add that I didn't explain the Mozilla behaviour quite
correctly -- I shouldn't have relied on an old memory :) -- it retains
the LINK colour as long as you remain on that page. If you exit and
return, it displays the correct LINK and VLINK colours, as one would
expect them. While Mozilla doesn't behave correctly until an exit and
return, at least it is behaving close to what it should and it is
generally consistent between internal and external references. IE 6
is more of a problem.

Peter Charles 08-15-2004 02:21 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:19:07 +0100, Dylan Parry
<usenet@dylanparry.com> wrote:

>Spake Peter Charles unto thee:
>
>> OK, I wasn't concerned with changing it immediately, rather I would
>> have liked the external references and internal references to behave
>> the same. The external references behave as one would expect but the
>> internal references have this degree of permanence. One other
>> behaviour, once you visit one internal reference, exit the page, then
>> return, all internal references are the VLINK colour.

>I knew what you meant, but it doesn't change anything - it's still normal
>browser behaviour. The reason why you are seeing this behaviour is because
>the fragment (bit after the #) is not part of the URL and so #marker1 and
>#marker2 are not considered distinct history entries if part of the same
>page.
>
>This means that if you visited example.com/index.html#marker1 then
>all the other anchors on the page that referenced other markers on the
>page would also be shown as visited. This is because in essence you have
>only visited the one page, index.html, and all those other links also
>point to index.html - the fragment makes no difference whatsoever.

OK, got it. So I'm stuck with this beahviour -- no problem -- I was
just looking to have it behave consistently but your explanation ices
it.

Thanks

Dylan Parry 08-15-2004 02:26 PM

Re: LINK, ALINK, VLINK colours don't behave

Spake Peter Charles unto thee:

> OK, got it. So I'm stuck with this beahviour -- no problem -- I was
> just looking to have it behave consistently but your explanation ices
> it.

No problem. The real problem here is that the specifications don't say
exactly what /should/ happen in this case, and so different browsers treat
it in different ways. I personally think that it would be a good idea if
browsers did treat markers within a page as separate URLs, but whether
others would agree with me or not is another matter entirely :)