Velocity Reviews

-   -   Zooming again (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t158958-zooming-again.html)

Peter 08-04-2004 02:41 PM

Zooming again

Richard supplied me with the solution so (older) visitors can enlarge
the fonts on the site.
It is: <input type="button" value="KLIK HIER VOOR GROTE LETTERS"
onclick="document.body.style.fontSize = '2em'">
<input type="button" value="klik hier voor standaard letters"
onclick="document.body.style.fontSize = '1em'">
Building antother site for elderly people I found this solution:
Vergroot deze pagina door in het rondje te klikken met:<br>
<input type="radio" name="z"
onclick="document.body.style.zoom=1.0;this.blur(); ">
100%
<input type="radio" name="z"
onclick="document.body.style.zoom=1.5;this.blur(); ">
150%
<input type="radio" name="z"
onclick="document.body.style.zoom=2.0;this.blur(); ">
200%
<input type="radio" name="z"
onclick="document.body.style.zoom=3.0;this.blur(); ">
300%
This works perfectly in IE. But nothing happens in Mozilla.
Can anybody tell me why ?
Richard´s solution can be seen at : http://pjm.fateback.com
My new one can be seen at : http://pjm.fateback.com/swoa/swoaindex.htm
Thanks
Peter

SpaceGirl 08-04-2004 02:56 PM

Re: Zooming again

Peter wrote:

> <zoom stuff>

Looks proprietry to me? Here's the Microsoft 'official' way of doing it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...rties/zoom.asp

I did a quick google and it seems to be an IE-only feature.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Toby Inkster 08-05-2004 06:07 AM

Re: Zooming again

Peter wrote:

> This works perfectly in IE. But nothing happens in Mozilla.
> Can anybody tell me why ?
> Richard´s solution can be seen at : http://pjm.fateback.com
> My new one can be seen at : http://pjm.fateback.com/swoa/swoaindex.htm

Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
document.body.style.zoom.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Peter 08-05-2004 11:04 AM

Re: Zooming again

Toby Inkster wrote:

> Peter wrote:

> Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
> and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
> document.body.style.zoom.

And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?
(I never suggested I could improve Richard!)
Peter

rf 08-05-2004 11:34 AM

Re: Zooming again

Peter wrote
> Toby Inkster wrote:
> > Peter wrote:

> > Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
> > and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
> > document.body.style.zoom.
> >

> And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?
> (I never suggested I could improve Richard!)

Do I *need* improving? <checks.../> Hmmm, perhaps. A couple of weeks at the
snow may help. It's puking down at the hill right now :-)

Zoom does not work in mozilla (or other non-IE browsers) because it is a
microsoft proprietory property. It is not part of the W3C standard.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rties/zoom.asp

(watch the wrap) scroll down to the bit where it says <q>This property is a
Microsoft extension to [CSS]</q>

--
Cheers
Richard.

SpaceGirl 08-05-2004 12:24 PM

Re: Zooming again

rf wrote:

> Peter wrote

>>And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?
>>(I never suggested I could improve Richard!)

> Zoom does not work in mozilla (or other non-IE browsers) because it is a
> microsoft proprietory property. It is not part of the W3C standard.

Didn't I like, say this a day ago?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf 08-05-2004 12:45 PM

Re: Zooming again

SpaceGirl
> rf wrote:

> > Zoom does not work in mozilla (or other non-IE browsers) because it is a
> > microsoft proprietory property. It is not part of the W3C standard.

> Didn't I like, say this a day ago?

Yep. Peter often misses posts :-)

--
Cheers
Richard.

Peter 08-05-2004 02:48 PM

Re: Zooming again

rf wrote:
> SpaceGirl
>
>>rf wrote:

>>>Zoom does not work in mozilla (or other non-IE browsers) because it is a
>>>microsoft proprietory property. It is not part of the W3C standard.

>>Didn't I like, say this a day ago?

> Yep. Peter often misses posts :-)

Ho!Ho!Ho1
I didn´t miss Her Majesty´s post. I followed the link she pointed.
But I couldn´t believe and understand that IE had this exclusively.
Furthermore I was given the impression by all the experts here,
that Mozilla was one of the best. So nowadays I use that and IE only for
testing purposes. I´m still trying to find some way to achieve a similar
result for Mozilla. I refuse to believe that no one in this part of www
can´t find my solution.
Miranda and Richard thank you very much for making things clearer for me.
Don´t forget I´m a (dirty) old man with deminishing grey stuff.
Peter

Toby Inkster 08-05-2004 04:46 PM

Re: Zooming again

Peter wrote:
> Toby Inkster wrote:
>
>> Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
>> and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
>> document.body.style.zoom.

> And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?

I already have told you -- because it's "totally made up". If you want
something to work reliably, use techniques defined by a standard. Don't
use things that you (or somebody else) just made up on a whim.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./james/the_best_of_james/03_shes_a_star.ogg

Peter 08-05-2004 05:33 PM

Re: Zooming again

Toby Inkster wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
>>Toby Inkster wrote:
>>

>>>Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
>>>and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
>>>document.body.style.zoom.

>>And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?

> I already have told you -- because it's "totally made up". If you want
> something to work reliably, use techniques defined by a standard. Don't
> use things that you (or somebody else) just made up on a whim.

What if one is dumb like me?
Peter