Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to test for speech browsers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t158752-how-to-test-for-speech-browsers.html)

Sally Thompson 07-17-2004 05:27 PM

How to test for speech browsers

I've been experiment with putting a "skip navigation" link on my
website (only on the home page at present). I'd be very glad if
someone could tell me if it works (URL in sig).

Secondly, is there a free talking browser I could download to test my
pages? Or one which simulates text to speech?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap

David Dorward 07-17-2004 05:37 PM

Re: How to test for speech browsers

Sally Thompson wrote:

> I've been experiment with putting a "skip navigation" link on my
> website (only on the home page at present). I'd be very glad if
> someone could tell me if it works (URL in sig).

It doesn't. You haven't got an id="content" anywhere.

> Secondly, is there a free talking browser I could download to test my
> pages? Or one which simulates text to speech?

Well... there is Emacspeak - I've never managed to get it working though.

JAWS has a 30 demo available, and I assume IBM Homepage Reader does too.

Lynx is usually enough of a test for most authors, and that is free.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

jake 07-17-2004 07:19 PM

Re: How to test for speech browsers

In message <40f960eb.29545792@news.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
<sallynewsgroup@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>I've been experiment with putting a "skip navigation" link on my
>website (only on the home page at present). I'd be very glad if
>someone could tell me if it works (URL in sig).

Yes, it would work if "content" had been specified somewhere.
i.e <....... id="content" ........>

See http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/ng/ST1X.JPG (95k)

>Secondly, is there a free talking browser I could download to test my
>pages? Or one which simulates text to speech?

There's a 30-day free trial of IBM's HPR:
http://www-306.ibm.com/able/solution_offerings/hpr.html

>Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 'alternative text on a 1-pixel .gif' approach always works; however
you can also use a CSS approach (if you want to) to hide the link from
graphical browsers while making it available to asssistive technology
(AT) devices:

e.g

..hideit {
height : 0;
width : 0;
overflow : hidden;
position : absolute;
}

regards.
--
Jake

Sally Thompson 07-17-2004 08:26 PM

Re: How to test for speech browsers

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:19:52 +0100, jake <jake@gododdin.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <40f960eb.29545792@news.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
><sallynewsgroup@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>
>>I've been experiment with putting a "skip navigation" link on my
>>website (only on the home page at present). I'd be very glad if
>>someone could tell me if it works (URL in sig).

>Yes, it would work if "content" had been specified somewhere.
>i.e <....... id="content" ........>
>
>See http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/ng/ST1X.JPG (95k)

Thanks Jake (and to David who made the same point). So if I add
id="content" to my <div class="content"> to read <div class="content"
id="content">, will that do it, or I have missed the plot somewhere?
(I still have the L plates on.) Also, I looked at the link you gave,
and I just wondered why the phrase "non-smoking" was highlighted?

..

>The 'alternative text on a 1-pixel .gif' approach always works; however
>you can also use a CSS approach (if you want to) to hide the link from
>graphical browsers while making it available to asssistive technology
>(AT) devices:
>
>e.g
>
>.hideit {
> height : 0;
> width : 0;
> overflow : hidden;
> position : absolute;
> }

I'll experiment with this. Thanks again to both of you.

brucie 07-17-2004 10:00 PM

Re: How to test for speech browsers

in post: <news:40f960eb.29545792@news.individual.net>
Sally Thompson <sallynewsgroup@yahoo.co.uk> said:

> I've been experiment with putting a "skip navigation" link on my
> website (only on the home page at present).

you don't need to reinvent the wheel. assistive tech already has various
ways for people to jump around pages. some people consider skip links
condescending.

> Secondly, is there a free talking browser I could download to test my
> pages?

if the below aren't free then they usually have a demo available.
haven't checked the links for a while:

sensus: http://www.sensus.dk/sib10uk.htm
ReadPlease http://www.readplease.com/
simply web 2000: http://www.econointl.com/sw/
pwwebspeak: http://www.soundlinks.com/pwgen.htm
web talkster: http://www.code-it.com/web_talkster.htm
multiweb: http://www.deakin.edu.au/infosys/multiweb/mwIndex.htm
outspoken (mac): http://www.aagi.com/downloads/download_demo.asp?25
outloud: http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_...re_connect.asp
ibm home page reader: http://www-3.ibm.com/able/solution_offerings/hpr.html
HPR download: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/sns/hpr/hpr3021trial_enu.exe
windows eyes: http://www.gwmicro.com/products/
super nova: http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/products/supernova.htm
hal: http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/products/hal.htm

--
b r u c i e

brucie 07-17-2004 10:07 PM

Re: How to test for speech browsers

in post: <news:beDQr+MYvX+AFwYV@gododdin.demon.co.uk>
jake <jake@gododdin.demon.co.uk> said:

> The 'alternative text on a 1-pixel .gif' approach always works;

you'd better let firewalls/proxies/filters know that so they stop
filtering them out as webbugs.

> however you can also use a CSS approach (if you want to) to hide the
> link from graphical browsers while making it available to asssistive
> technology (AT) devices:

that technique can also (and does) hide the link from assistive tech.

--
b r u c i e

Leif K-Brooks 07-17-2004 11:11 PM

jake wrote:
> The 'alternative text on a 1-pixel .gif' approach always works

What about Lynx users, people with image loading turned off, and people
viewing your page offline without your images downloaded?

Sally Thompson 07-18-2004 07:36 AM

Re: How to test for speech browsers

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:00:00 +1000, brucie <****@usenetshit.info>
wrote:

>in post: <news:40f960eb.29545792@news.individual.net>
>Sally Thompson <sallynewsgroup@yahoo.co.uk> said:
>
>> I've been experiment with putting a "skip navigation" link on my
>> website (only on the home page at present).

>you don't need to reinvent the wheel. assistive tech already has various
>ways for people to jump around pages. some people consider skip links
>condescending.

Food for thought there. I didn't know that.

>> Secondly, is there a free talking browser I could download to test my
>> pages?

>if the below aren't free then they usually have a demo available.
>haven't checked the links for a while:

<snip list>
Thanks Brucie - that's great.

brucie 07-18-2004 07:47 AM

Re: How to test for speech browsers

in post: <news:40fa2814.609263@news.individual.net>
Sally Thompson <sallynewsgroup@yahoo.co.uk> said:

>>you don't need to reinvent the wheel. assistive tech already has various
>>ways for people to jump around pages. some people consider skip links
>>condescending.

> Food for thought there. I didn't know that.

semantically markup your pages and be careful of link and alt text and
you're 99% there. skip links are just a gimmick to make you feel all
warm and fuzzy helping out the poor disabled people. gowd knows how they
managed before skip links became trendy.

--
b r u c i e

jake 07-18-2004 09:15 AM

Re: How to test for speech browsers

In message <2ltq0aFgshqhU2@uni-berlin.de>, Leif K-Brooks
<eurleif@ecritters.biz> writes
>jake wrote:
>> The 'alternative text on a 1-pixel .gif' approach always works

>What about Lynx users, people with image loading turned off, and people
>viewing your page offline without your images downloaded?

You might want to re-read the context of this thread (hint:
'accessibility').

Putting alternative text on a 1-pixel .gif has been used since time
immemorial for providing a method of supplying 'assisting' text that AT
UAs can output (e.g. through a speech synthesizer) but that remains
invisible to graphical browsers.

A number of sites will make the 'skip to content', 'skip navigation' or
whatever text visible on the page -- but a lot of designers don't like
their pages being cluttered with such things ;-)

regards.

ps. If I've misunderstood your comment, please let me know.

--
Jake