Velocity Reviews

-   -   Devious linkage to enter Web site (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t158609-devious-linkage-to-enter-web-site.html)

Don@NoSpam 07-05-2004 04:54 PM

Devious linkage to enter Web site

I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy Guestbook. I found an interesting page today that gets around crawlers (hopefully) by a technique I can't figure out from the raw HTML code, which seems basic and simple.

Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by a word in the image admits you. It sounds like what I'm looking for without going to JS or Java.

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
Don
Username munged by FixNews

Don@NoSpam 07-05-2004 05:11 PM

Re: Devious linkage to enter Web site

Don@NoSpam wrote:

> I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy Guestbook. I found an interesting page today that gets around crawlers (hopefully) by a technique I can't figure out from the raw HTML code, which seems basic and simple.
> http://www.sonic.net/~melvaw/
>
> Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by a word in the image admits you. It sounds like what I'm looking for without going to JS or Java.
>
> Can someone help please?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Username munged by FixNews

Hywel 07-05-2004 07:36 PM

Re: Devious linkage to enter Web site

In article <40E987CE.25DEF71A@icehouse.net>, says...
> I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy Guestbook. I found an interesting page today that gets around crawlers (hopefully) by a technique I can't figure out from the raw HTML code, which seems basic and simple.
>
> Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by a word in the image admits you. It sounds like what I'm looking for without going to JS or Java.
>
> Can someone help please?

Do it with a bit of PHP and the GD or GD2 library.

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

brucie 07-05-2004 09:53 PM

Re: Devious linkage to enter Web site

in post: <news:40E987CE.25DEF71A@icehouse.net>
<Don@NoSpam> said:

> I've been having all sorts of problems with spam/porn in my genealgy
> Guestbook. [...] Clicking on an image and asking people to sign in by
> a word in the image admits you.

what you're looking for is a CAPTCHA[1] script. while they look like
they're effective against non-humans they're not. rates for successfully
cracking them are around 80-95% depending on the method CAPTCHA used to
generate the image.

if you implemented CAPTCHA i don't think anyone would go to the effort
of cracking it just to spam a guestbook so you're probably safe. in fact
you could probably get away without it. just use a normal image changed
every week or so. on the form ask people to enter the text on the image.
simple.

[1]
CAPTCHA - Completely Automated Public Turing test to Tell Computers and
Humans Apart

OCR CAPTCHA
http://phpclasses.dknss.com/browse/package/1538.html
HN CAPTCHA