Velocity Reviews

-   -   SSI and SEO (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t158584-ssi-and-seo.html)

AyntRyte 07-03-2004 01:56 AM

SSI and SEO

Just curious...
Does Google (and other bots) consider the content of includes when
indexing a page?

Thanks,
--
\\// Robert

ayntryte @ (that new Google email thingy) dot com

brucie 07-03-2004 03:26 AM

Re: SSI and SEO

in post: <news:ZjoFc.4525$2Z3.1845@bignews6.bellsouth.net >
AyntRyte <ayntryte@ALL.invalid> said:

> Just curious...

curiosity killed the cat and my next door neighbor when he stuck his
nose into something that didn't concern him.

> Does Google (and other bots) consider the content of includes when
> indexing a page?

think about it for a few seconds. how is google (or anyone/thing else)
supposed to be able to determine if you're using includes or not?

--
b r u c i e

Neal 07-03-2004 04:12 AM

Re: SSI and SEO

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:56:27 -0500, AyntRyte <ayntryte@ALL.invalid> wrote:

> Just curious...
> Does Google (and other bots) consider the content of includes when
> indexing a page?

Google and other bots consider the page as served. So if you serve a page
assembled from 47 different includes, that's what Google will see.

AyntRyte 07-03-2004 04:49 AM

Re: SSI and SEO

Neal wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:56:27 -0500, AyntRyte <ayntryte@ALL.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Just curious...
>> Does Google (and other bots) consider the content of includes when
>> indexing a page?

> Google and other bots consider the page as served. So if you serve a
> page assembled from 47 different includes, that's what Google will see.

Thanks. I thought it odd that on a search result, the snippet following
a listing would contain irrelevant content from the bottom of the page
instead keyword-heavy content from the include.

Google can best be compared to a woman: Don't waste your time trying to
understand it; just appreciate it for what it is :)

Mitja 07-03-2004 06:23 AM

Re: SSI and SEO

(news:tJqFc.2317$Dv.1298@bignews2.bellsouth.net) wrote:
> Neal wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:56:27 -0500, AyntRyte <ayntryte@ALL.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious...
>>> Does Google (and other bots) consider the content of includes when
>>> indexing a page?

>> Google and other bots consider the page as served. So if you serve a
>> page assembled from 47 different includes, that's what Google will
>> see.

> Thanks. I thought it odd that on a search result, the snippet
> following a listing would contain irrelevant content from the bottom
> of the page instead keyword-heavy content from the include.

Weird... You don't, I hope, consider <iframe> a method of "including"
content? Or possibly any JS? Or even <object>? Google won't see those, only
server-side merged thigs count.

Big Bill 07-03-2004 11:54 AM

Re: SSI and SEO

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 13:26:57 +1000, brucie <usenetshit@brucie.name>
wrote:

>in post: <news:ZjoFc.4525$2Z3.1845@bignews6.bellsouth.net >
>AyntRyte <ayntryte@ALL.invalid> said:
>
>> Just curious...

>curiosity killed the cat and my next door neighbor when he stuck his
>nose into something that didn't concern him.
>
>> Does Google (and other bots) consider the content of includes when
>> indexing a page?

>think about it for a few seconds. how is google (or anyone/thing else)
>supposed to be able to determine if you're using includes or not?

See? This is what happens when you ask questions in the wrong group.
Brucie answers, that's what!

BB

Big Bill 07-03-2004 11:54 AM

Re: SSI and SEO

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 00:12:41 -0400, Neal <neal413@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:56:27 -0500, AyntRyte <ayntryte@ALL.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Just curious...
>> Does Google (and other bots) consider the content of includes when
>> indexing a page?

>Google and other bots consider the page as served. So if you serve a page
>assembled from 47 different includes, that's what Google will see.

and Neal.
Sometimes.

BB

Hywel 07-03-2004 04:49 PM

Re: SSI and SEO

In article <1fc9vz5jaywwe.dlg@brucie.name>, brucie says...
> in post: <news:ZjoFc.4525$2Z3.1845@bignews6.bellsouth.net >
> AyntRyte <ayntryte@ALL.invalid> said:
>
> > Just curious...

> curiosity killed the cat and my next door neighbor when he stuck his
> nose into something that didn't concern him.

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that
curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. I can't speak
for your neighbour, but he really should have given you your gimp suit
back on time, and clean, shouldn't he?

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

brucie 07-03-2004 10:48 PM

Re: SSI and SEO

in post: <news:4r2de01fq3uiufq1h2ualtongo6t109htn@4ax.com >
Big Bill <kruse@cityscape.co.uk> said:

>>> Just curious...

>>curiosity killed the cat and my next door neighbor when he stuck his
>>nose into something that didn't concern him.

>>> Does Google (and other bots) consider the content of includes when
>>> indexing a page?

>>think about it for a few seconds. how is google (or anyone/thing else)
>>supposed to be able to determine if you're using includes or not?

> See? This is what happens when you ask questions in the wrong group.
> Brucie answers, that's what!

what was wrong with my answer? it was very informative:

1. if you're ever my neighbor mind your own gowd damn business.
2. if you think for a few seconds (or less) of how SSIs work then the
answer is self evident.

i'm going to tell my mommy on you

--
b r u c i e