Velocity Reviews

-   -   Questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t158548-questions.html)

Mr. Teatime 06-29-2004 09:08 AM

Questions

If you go to my site (linked in signature), click on the music section, does
it load with the
information under 'More information' for each track expanded or collapsed?
It should be collapsed, but it's expanded when I load it from the server on
my PC (if I load the page from the HD, it's collapsed), and my friend says
it's collapsed when he loads the page... but something's making it load
expanded on my PC (if I load the page from the HD< however, they are
collapsed). I am using IE 6.
Other questions:
How do I get the 'Time... Size... .Download' parts to line up with each
other without having a seperate table for each track?

Any comments on this design as well are welcome. Thanks to rf for his
extensive help.

--
My music - http://www.teatime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Whitecrest 06-29-2004 09:34 AM

Re: Questions

In article <2kaEc.5661$6E1.62458100@news-text.cableinet.net>,
mr_teatime007@hotmail.com says...
> If you go to my site (linked in signature), click on the music section, does
> it load with the...

Collapsed

They are aligned
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Mr. Teatime 06-29-2004 09:59 AM

Re: Questions

"Whitecrest" <whitecrest@whitecrestziopzap.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b4b01b4c0518201989d4d@news.charter.net.. .
> In article <2kaEc.5661$6E1.62458100@news-text.cableinet.net>,
> mr_teatime007@hotmail.com says...
> > If you go to my site (linked in signature), click on the music section,

does
> > it load with the...

> Collapsed
>
> They are aligned

For some people they display collapsed, but for others, like myself and a
few others I've spoken to, they load expanded (but the script still works),
and I was wondering if anyone could help with sorting that out.
And as for aligning, they look aligned but they're not, I'd much rather have
a table like function that gets them exactly in line, rather than using
manual spaces to align them... if anyone could help with that (for some
reason I can't seem to insert a table next to the 'More Information' text,
it always comes on the line below which I don't want). TIA.

--
My music - http://www.teatime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Whitecrest 06-29-2004 10:58 AM

Re: Questions

In article <34bEc.5685$q22.62757030@news-text.cableinet.net>,
mr_teatime007@hotmail.com says...
> And as for aligning, they look aligned but they're not...

If they "look" aligned, how would your visitor tell they weren't?
Especially since alignment is visual.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Els 06-29-2004 11:02 AM

Re: Questions

Whitecrest wrote:

> In article
> <34bEc.5685$q22.62757030@news-text.cableinet.net>,
> mr_teatime007@hotmail.com says...
>> And as for aligning, they look aligned but they're not...

> If they "look" aligned, how would your visitor tell they
> weren't? Especially since alignment is visual.

Cause he's using &nbsp;, any change in font settings will change
the alignment. Plus it isn't very nice markup using &nbsp;'s.

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Whitecrest 06-29-2004 11:18 AM

Re: Questions

In article <Xns951784C0CE097Els@130.133.1.4>, els.aNOSPAM@tiscali.nl
says...
> > If they "look" aligned, how would your visitor tell they
> > weren't? Especially since alignment is visual.

> Cause he's using &nbsp;, any change in font settings will change
> the alignment. Plus it isn't very nice markup using &nbsp;'s.

I hardly have enough time to change the fonts on my own pages let
alone on someone elses....
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Els 06-29-2004 11:21 AM

Re: Questions

Whitecrest wrote:

> In article <Xns951784C0CE097Els@130.133.1.4>,
> els.aNOSPAM@tiscali.nl says...
>> > If they "look" aligned, how would your visitor tell they
>> > weren't? Especially since alignment is visual.

>> Cause he's using &nbsp;, any change in font settings will
>> change the alignment. Plus it isn't very nice markup using
>> &nbsp;'s.

> I hardly have enough time to change the fonts on my own
> pages let alone on someone elses....

Some people have their browsers set to use a font they like.
Besides, I think it calls for a table anyway, no need for
&nbsp;'s at all. It's tabular data, or at least I like to think
so.

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

rf 06-29-2004 12:08 PM

Re: Questions

"Els" <els.aNOSPAM@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Whitecrest wrote:
>
> > If they "look" aligned, how would your visitor tell they
> > weren't? Especially since alignment is visual.

> Cause he's using &nbsp;, any change in font settings will change
> the alignment.

Nope. If he has managed to [roughly] align them with &nbsp;s on *his* system
then any change in font size will not have a large effect. Each glyph will
expand and contract proportionally leaving the "columns" roughly aligned.
There will be a small shift as the font rastifier rounds to the nearest
pixel but that won't really be noticable. More noticable would be the fact
that one can not align columns using spaces to start with (spaces being n
pixels wide), unless one is using a monospaced font.

A change of font *face* will cause dramatic effects.

> Plus it isn't very nice markup using &nbsp;'s.

True.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Els 06-29-2004 12:13 PM

Re: Questions

rf wrote:

> "Els" <els.aNOSPAM@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
>> Whitecrest wrote:
>>
>> > If they "look" aligned, how would your visitor tell they
>> > weren't? Especially since alignment is visual.

>> Cause he's using &nbsp;, any change in font settings will
>> change the alignment.

> Nope. If he has managed to [roughly] align them with
> &nbsp;s on *his* system then any change in font size will
> not have a large effect. Each glyph will expand and
> contract proportionally leaving the "columns" roughly
> aligned. There will be a small shift as the font rastifier
> rounds to the nearest pixel but that won't really be
> noticable. More noticable would be the fact that one can
> not align columns using spaces to start with (spaces being
> n pixels wide), unless one is using a monospaced font.
>
> A change of font *face* will cause dramatic effects.

True, that's why I used the words 'font settings' and not
font-size. I should not have said 'any change' though, as this
could possibly mean just the size ;-)

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Mr. Teatime 06-29-2004 02:10 PM

Re: Questions

Is there an alternative to &nbsp?
I tried to put a table in for each track, but I can only ever get it to
display on the line below 'more information', not alongside it (to get the
equivalent visual effect to the way it is now).

--
My music - http://www.teatime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/