Velocity Reviews

-   -   readOnly attribute doesn't work for drop down list? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t158538-readonly-attribute-doesnt-work-for-drop-down-list.html)

Matt 06-28-2004 04:28 PM

readOnly attribute doesn't work for drop down list?

I want to know if readOnly attribute doesn't work for drop down list?
If I try disabled attribute, it works fine for drop down list. When I
try text box, it works fine for both disabled and readOnly attribute.

For example, #1 will work, but #2 doesn't work

1) <SELECT name="streetDirection" class="FormInput" DISABLED>
In JavaScript, I have InputForm.streetDirection.disabled = false;

2) <SELECT name="streetDirection" class="FormInput" readOnly>
In JavaScript, I have InputForm.streetDirection.readOnly= false;

any ideas? thanks!!

Hywel 06-28-2004 06:08 PM

Re: readOnly attribute doesn't work for drop down list?

In article <ba8a039e.0406280828.13e80676@posting.google.com >, Matt
says...
> I want to know if readOnly attribute doesn't work for drop down list?
> If I try disabled attribute, it works fine for drop down list. When I
> try text box, it works fine for both disabled and readOnly attribute.
>
> For example, #1 will work, but #2 doesn't work
>
> 1) <SELECT name="streetDirection" class="FormInput" DISABLED>
> In JavaScript, I have InputForm.streetDirection.disabled = false;
>
> 2) <SELECT name="streetDirection" class="FormInput" readOnly>
> In JavaScript, I have InputForm.streetDirection.readOnly= false;

Considering that you can't change the content of a drop-down list
(without using scripting) is there any point in making it read only?
After all, it already is.

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

DU 06-29-2004 12:22 AM

Matt wrote:

> I want to know if readOnly attribute doesn't work for drop down list?
> If I try disabled attribute, it works fine for drop down list. When I
> try text box, it works fine for both disabled and readOnly attribute.
>
> For example, #1 will work, but #2 doesn't work
>
> 1) <SELECT name="streetDirection" class="FormInput" DISABLED>
> In JavaScript, I have InputForm.streetDirection.disabled = false;
>
> 2) <SELECT name="streetDirection" class="FormInput" readOnly>
> In JavaScript, I have InputForm.streetDirection.readOnly= false;
>
> any ideas? thanks!!

I don't see any readonly attribute in the list of valid attributes for
select:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interac...ml#edef-SELECT

DU