Velocity Reviews

-   -   font size issues (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t158057-font-size-issues.html)

Tom 05-16-2004 09:47 PM

font size issues

Hi
Have just released the following site to the world (www.clearpower.ie) - and
it works fine on IE 6, Mozilla Firefox 0.8 and Opera 7 on a PC.
The client was looking at the site on a friend's laptop this evening and
commented that the font size was rendered unreadable on their particular
machine. He was unclear of the setup but I was hoping that you guys could
take a look at it and let me know if you come across any problems.
Thanks

Whitecrest 05-16-2004 09:54 PM

Re: font size issues

In article <c88o0c$cks$1@kermit.esat.net>, tom@digital-haze.com says...
> Hi
> Have just released the following site to the world (www.clearpower.ie) - and
> it works fine on IE 6, Mozilla Firefox 0.8 and Opera 7 on a PC.
> The client was looking at the site on a friend's laptop this evening and
> commented that the font size was rendered unreadable on their particular
> machine. He was unclear of the setup but I was hoping that you guys could
> take a look at it and let me know if you come across any problems.
> Thanks

Change the size of your text and watch it fall apart
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Els 05-16-2004 09:56 PM

Re: font size issues

Tom wrote:

> Hi
> Have just released the following site to the world (www.clearpower.ie) - and
> it works fine on IE 6, Mozilla Firefox 0.8 and Opera 7 on a PC.
> The client was looking at the site on a friend's laptop this evening and
> commented that the font size was rendered unreadable on their particular
> machine. He was unclear of the setup but I was hoping that you guys could
> take a look at it and let me know if you come across any problems.
> Thanks

I'm on 19inch set at 1280x1024, and I can read it. But my
dad won't be able to without his reading glasses.
0.7em is too small.

Now imagine if I wouldn't have Verdana...
Just set your own screen resolution as high as you can, take
Verdana out of your css, and see if your dad (or your
granddad if you're young enough ;-) ) can read it.

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 05-16-2004 10:01 PM

Re: font size issues

Quoth the raven Tom:
> Hi Have just released the following site to the world
> (www.clearpower.ie) - and it works fine on IE 6, Mozilla Firefox
> 0.8 and Opera 7 on a PC. The client was looking at the site on a
> friend's laptop this evening and commented that the font size was
> rendered unreadable on their particular machine. He was unclear of
> the setup but I was hoping that you guys could take a look at it
> and let me know if you come across any problems. Thanks T

Same old issue here. Drop Verdana from your font choices and change
your content font sizes to 100% rather than 0.7em. That is 70% of my
default. And apparently the client's default. Use percent instead of
em due to the weird IE bug that won't render ems correctly in some
versions.

You also have h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 all set as 1em. Why not vary them
in accordance with the level, say h1 at 150-200%, h2 at 140-175% and
so forth.

Get rid of the scrolling div on the Contact us page.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

David Dorward 05-16-2004 10:01 PM

Re: font size issues

Tom wrote:
> Have just released the following site to the world (www.clearpower.ie) -
> and it works fine on IE 6, Mozilla Firefox 0.8 and Opera 7 on a PC.
> The client was looking at the site on a friend's laptop this evening and
> commented that the font size was rendered unreadable on their particular
> machine. He was unclear of the setup but I was hoping that you guys could
> take a look at it and let me know if you come across any problems.

It looks like you have hit the "Internet Explorer gets em wrong when the
user has something other then Medium for their font size".

The fix is:

body { font-size: 100.01%; }

(Actually, just setting the body to 100% is enough, but that triggers
another bug in some versions of Opera which treats 100 per cent as 100 per
cent less one pixel, so the .01 work around is added for that.)

Browser bugs. Such fun.

Marc Nadeau 05-17-2004 12:57 AM

Re: font size issues

Tom a schtroumphé:

> Hi
> Have just released the following site to the world
> (www.clearpower.ie) - and it works fine on IE 6, Mozilla
> Firefox 0.8 and Opera 7 on a PC. The client was looking at the
> site on a friend's laptop this evening and commented that the
> font size was rendered unreadable on their particular machine.
> He was unclear of the setup but I was hoping that you guys
> could take a look at it and let me know if you come across any
> problems. Thanks T

Try replacing

font-size 1em;

with

font-size: 100%;

Althought the former is correct and conforming with the
standards, most if not all versions of MSIE do not interpret
those the way they should.

Your page may seem ok in IE6 on a desktop but the fonts do not
resize correctly with the browser's configuraton of the laptop.

--
mv sco /dev/null
Marc Nadeau # La Pagerie /* http://www.pagerie.com */

Tom 05-17-2004 08:04 AM

Re: font size issues

> Same old issue here. Drop Verdana from your font choices and change
> your content font sizes to 100% rather than 0.7em. That is 70% of my
> default. And apparently the client's default. Use percent instead of
> em due to the weird IE bug that won't render ems correctly in some
> versions.

Thanks for the comments guys
Have implemented the 100.01% fix and changed the font size from 0.7 to 0.8
em.
Not clear on your issue with Verdana? What would you propose replacing it
with?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 05-17-2004 02:23 PM

Re: font size issues

Quoth the raven Tom:

>> Same old issue here. Drop Verdana from your font choices and
>> change your content font sizes to 100% rather than 0.7em. That
>> is 70% of my default. And apparently the client's default. Use
>> percent instead of em due to the weird IE bug that won't render
>> ems correctly in some versions.

> Thanks for the comments guys Have implemented the 100.01% fix and
> changed the font size from 0.7 to 0.8 em. Not clear on your issue
> with Verdana? What would you propose replacing it with? T

Verdana is too large. It may look ok to your eyes, on your monitor.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

0.8em is still only 80% of your visitor's default, desired size. You
need to remove the font-size from #rightcontent and #rightcontent2 so
as to allow the body's font-size to cascade.

You might consider fonts:
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

Neal 05-17-2004 03:06 PM

Re: font size issues

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:04:00 +0100, Tom <tom@digital-haze.com> wrote:

>> Same old issue here. Drop Verdana from your font choices and change
>> your content font sizes to 100% rather than 0.7em. That is 70% of my
>> default. And apparently the client's default. Use percent instead of
>> em due to the weird IE bug that won't render ems correctly in some
>> versions.

> Thanks for the comments guys
> Have implemented the 100.01% fix and changed the font size from 0.7 to
> 0.8
> em.
> Not clear on your issue with Verdana? What would you propose replacing it
> with?

Good luck finding a suitable replacement on anyone's computer. That's part
of the problem.

When you set Verdana to 100%, it looks awkwardly big. So authors generally
scale it down. However, when a user without Verdana reads the site, the
font is replaced by, say, Arial, which at the same font size you put
Verdana is terribly illegible. So wither you make Verdana look goofy big
so that the replacements won't be too small, or you make the replacement
font the UA uses instead illegible because it's a good size for Verdana.