Velocity Reviews

-   -   FRAME DISAPPEARS WHEN IE SIDE BAR ON ?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t157871-frame-disappears-when-ie-side-bar-on.html)

Racket 04-30-2004 01:44 AM

FRAME DISAPPEARS WHEN IE SIDE BAR ON ??

Built a page with left and top frame for nav bar etc. When viewed in IE6, if
the left bar ( favorites or hisory etc) is open, only the left frame( nav
bar) shows up! Move the side bar to the left or remove it and the body
page returns.
Anyone know how to fix this.
Done lots of frames (hate 'em but client requirement) and have never seen
this before.
Thaks all

Mark Parnell 04-30-2004 02:26 AM

Re: FRAME DISAPPEARS WHEN IE SIDE BAR ON ??

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:44:34 +1000, "Racket" <rhg@optushome.com.au>
declared in alt.html:

> Built a page with left and top frame for nav bar etc.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzo...eb/frames.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
frames")

> Done lots of frames (hate 'em but client requirement)

Upgrade your clients. :-)

Seriously though, have you explained to them all the problems that
frames cause, and that to do them properly would take you 3 times as
long as a non-frames site? Are they paying you by the hour? I hope so
for your sake... :-D

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Augustus 04-30-2004 05:51 AM

"Mark Parnell" <webmaster@clarkecomputers.com.au> wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:44:34 +1000, "Racket" <rhg@optushome.com.au>
> declared in alt.html:
>
> > Built a page with left and top frame for nav bar etc.

> http://html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzo...eb/frames.html
> http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
> http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
> frames")
>
> > Done lots of frames (hate 'em but client requirement)

> Upgrade your clients. :-)

I don't know about that... there are times when frames can be useful and the
right solution for a website (I have a couple of sites that use frames in
places... not on the whole site for navigation, but other parts of the site)

Racket 04-30-2004 07:05 AM

Re: FRAME DISAPPEARS WHEN IE SIDE BAR ON ??

Gee thanks Mark.

Now maybe somebody can actually help me.
Racket

Mark Parnell 04-30-2004 07:07 AM

Re: FRAME DISAPPEARS WHEN IE SIDE BAR ON ??

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:05:12 +1000, "Racket" <rhg@optushome.com.au>
declared in alt.html:

> Gee thanks Mark.

You're welcome.

> Now maybe somebody can actually help me.

I gave you plenty of material to take back to your clients to help you
convince them that frames are not the way to go. That's the best help
anyone could give you.

BTW: Please don't post upside-down.

This will help:

The Doormouse 04-30-2004 07:13 AM

"Racket" <rhg@optushome.com.au> wrote:

> Gee thanks Mark.
>
> Now maybe somebody can actually help me.

Do we only get a cookie if we solve your problem to your liking? You did
not appreciate Mark's opinions, and he went to alot of effort for you.

The Doormouse

Whitecrest 04-30-2004 09:16 AM

Re: FRAME DISAPPEARS WHEN IE SIDE BAR ON ??

In article <Xns94DB247968D3doormouseattnet@68.12.19.6>,
doormouse@att.net says...
> > Gee thanks Mark.
> > Now maybe somebody can actually help me.

> Do we only get a cookie if we solve your problem to your liking? You did
> not appreciate Mark's opinions, and he went to alot of effort for you.

Yea, a lot of effort... cut... paste...
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Els 04-30-2004 06:53 PM

Racket wrote:

> Now maybe somebody can actually help me.
> Racket

If you want anyone to help you other than pointing out
what's wrong with frames, I suggest mentioning a url to the
page that displays your problem.

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/