Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using domain name question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t157853-using-domain-name-question.html)

Tony Cooper 04-28-2004 10:39 PM

Using domain name question

I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
used) until I work it out.

I did sign up with a hosting service: Quickfox.

Right now, I could put up a page using:

http://users.quickfox.org/xxxxx/image.jpg

xxxx = my user name

I would like the site to be:

http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg

yyyyy = my domain name

Can anyone either explain what I need to do or point me to a url that
tells me?

nospam@geniegate.com 04-29-2004 12:53 AM

Re: Using domain name question

Tony Cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
> I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
> used) until I work it out.

[snip]

> I would like the site to be:
>
> http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg
>
> yyyyy = my domain name

It takes a few days for all the DNS servers across the net to
synchronize, which is why a domain isn't immediately accessible.

Just wait a few days (trying occasionally) until it resolves.

Jamie

User Management Solutions Perl / PHP / Java / UNIX

Tony Cooper 04-29-2004 02:05 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:53:36 GMT, nospam@geniegate.com wrote:

>Tony Cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
>> I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
>> used) until I work it out.

>[snip]
>
>> I would like the site to be:
>>
>> http://yyyyy.com/image.jpg
>>
>> yyyyy = my domain name

>It takes a few days for all the DNS servers across the net to
>synchronize, which is why a domain isn't immediately accessible.
>
>Just wait a few days (trying occasionally) until it resolves.

Sorry, but I don't know what to "try" or how to go about it. That's
the question.

Augustus 04-29-2004 02:34 AM

"Tony Cooper" <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
> I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
> used) until I work it out.

If you registered your domain name with your hosting company then most
likely you'll just have to wait a couple of days for it to resolve and then
when people enter your domain name they'll end up at your site

If you registered your domain name with somebody other than your hosting
company then you will have to get the addresses for the DNS servers of your
hosting company (should be in the "setup" or "welcome to our service" email)
and then go and log in to the management section for whoever you registered
your domain with and there will be a section for you to enter name server
information

Both your host and the company you registered your domain name with (if
different from your host) should have help files (or atleast be able to
point you to some) for how to set this up

Tony Cooper 04-29-2004 04:22 AM

Re: Using domain name question

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:34:51 -0700, "Augustus"
<Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote:

>"Tony Cooper" <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:cac090l640blbild79i3tvhcn6jkjshm0q@4ax.com.. .
>> I just purchased a domain name and I have no idea of how to use it.
>> I'd like to put up a temporary page ("under construction will *not* be
>> used) until I work it out.

>If you registered your domain name with your hosting company then most
>likely you'll just have to wait a couple of days for it to resolve and then
>when people enter your domain name they'll end up at your site
>
>If you registered your domain name with somebody other than your hosting
>company then you will have to get the addresses for the DNS servers of your
>hosting company (should be in the "setup" or "welcome to our service" email)
>and then go and log in to the management section for whoever you registered
>your domain with and there will be a section for you to enter name server
>information
>
>Both your host and the company you registered your domain name with (if
>different from your host) should have help files (or atleast be able to
>point you to some) for how to set this up

Thanks.