Velocity Reviews

-   -   SSL Certificates (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t157727-ssl-certificates.html)

Andrew Banks 04-20-2004 08:53 AM

SSL Certificates

I know it's not strivtly HTML but probably the most relevant group for this
question.

Who are the trusted authorities for issuing SSL certificates?

My host provides SSL with CPanel but the certificate that I am provided with
gives me the warning

"The security certificate was issued by a company you have chosen not to
trust....."

Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?

I know of Thawte and verisign

Toby A Inkster 04-20-2004 05:13 PM

Re: SSL Certificates

Andrew Banks wrote:

> Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?

Trusted by whom?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andrew Banks 04-20-2004 06:06 PM

Re: SSL Certificates

> > Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?
>
> Trusted by whom?

The web browser.

If you visit https://www.console-gamer.co.uk in IE or Firefox you will get a
warning as the certificate providor isn't reckognised by default.

Owen Jacobson 04-20-2004 08:19 PM

Re: SSL Certificates

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:06:59 +0000, Andrew Banks wrote:

>> > Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?

>> Trusted by whom?

> The web browser.

That would be up to those who manufacture the browser, by default, and the
user. To which browser do you refer?

--
Some say the Wired doesn't have political borders like the real world,
but there are far too many nonsense-spouting anarchists or idiots who

Toby A Inkster 04-20-2004 08:42 PM

Re: SSL Certificates

Andrew Banks wrote:
> Toby Inkster wrote:
>> Andrew Banks wrote:
>>
>>> Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?

>> Trusted by whom?

> The web browser.

Which web browser?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andrew Banks 04-20-2004 08:50 PM

Re: SSL Certificates

> That would be up to those who manufacture the browser, by default, and the
> user. To which browser do you refer?

The majority of them to be honest. I'm looking for the "most trusted" SSL
certificate authorities.

For example, I've never had problems with any browser with certificates
issued by Thawe or Verisign. I'm using most browsers trust these.

Can anyone suggest anyothers that are automatically trusted by most
browsers?

I can't rely on users adding my certificate themselves so need to use a
certificate issuing authority that is trusted by most browsers. If a user
sees any sort of problem with an SSL certificate it will make them question
the site security and turn customers away.

Andrew Banks 04-20-2004 09:24 PM

Re: SSL Certificates

> Which web browser?

Toby, I think my reply to Owen Jacobson might clear this up

Toby A Inkster 04-21-2004 06:21 AM

Re: SSL Certificates

Andrew Banks wrote:

> Toby Inkster wrote:
>
>> Which web browser?

> Toby, I think my reply to Owen Jacobson might clear this up

Owen made the same point that I did, just using a lot less sarcasm.

Which hosts are trusted depends on the web browser being used[1]. Which
web browser being used depends on who's visiting your site.

And please do not remove the attribution line from your posts. It's there
for a reason.

________
[1] amongst other factors -- e.g. the ISP may have included other trusted
certificates on the installation disc.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS