Velocity Reviews

-   -   reloading a frame on a timer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t157187-reloading-a-frame-on-a-timer.html)

Ike 02-17-2004 05:03 PM

reloading a frame on a timer

Suppose I have two frames, as shown in the script below. One of the frames,
I would like to have reload every ten minutes or so. Hower, the frame I wish
to reload is a php script, which executes and creates a png image which gets
displayed directly to the browser frame (therefore, the image is NOT written
to the server itself, and the page that gets displayed in the frame I wish
to update is a png image mime type).

How can I amend my script in my page which holds the frameset (i.e. the
parent) such that only one particular frame is updated at a fixed interval?

Thanks, Ike

<frameset rows="10%,90%>
<frame src="ggtab1a.php" name="main" scrolling="no" noresize
FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 marginwidth="1"
marginheight="1">
<?php
echo "<frame src=\"reports/homepages/" . $username.".php\" ";
?>
name="work1" FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 marginwidth="0"

CountScubula 02-17-2004 07:04 PM

Re: reloading a frame on a timer

I think something like this could benifiet you:
http://gzen.myhq.info/test/time.php

example source shown here:
http://www-4.gzentools.com/snippetvi...pts&v=time.php

--
Mike Bradley
http://www.gzentools.com -- free online php tools
news:OPrYb.8611$W74.2335@newsread1.news.atl.earthl ink.net...

Mike Discenza 02-18-2004 12:24 AM

CountScubula wrote:

> I think something like this could benifiet you:
> http://gzen.myhq.info/test/time.php
>
> example source shown here:
> http://www-4.gzentools.com/snippetvi...pts&v=time.php
>

> --
> Mike Bradley
> http://www.gzentools.com -- free online php tools
> "Ike" <rxv@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OPrYb.8611$W74.2335@newsread1.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
>> Suppose I have two frames, as shown in the script below. One of the

> frames,
>> I would like to have reload every ten minutes or so. Hower, the frame I

> wish
>> to reload is a php script, which executes and creates a png image which

> gets
>> displayed directly to the browser frame (therefore, the image is NOT

> written
>> to the server itself, and the page that gets displayed in the frame I
>> wish to update is a png image mime type).
>>
>> How can I amend my script in my page which holds the frameset (i.e. the
>> parent) such that only one particular frame is updated at a fixed

> interval?
>>
>> Thanks, Ike
>>
>> <frameset rows="10%,90%>
>> <frame src="ggtab1a.php" name="main" scrolling="no" noresize
>> FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 marginwidth="1"
>> marginheight="1">
>> <?php
>> echo "<frame src=\"reports/homepages/" . $username.".php\" ";
>> ?>
>> name="work1" FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 marginwidth="0"

Not too hard to pull off. I've got something that does this myself, but it
reads and displays a log file.

Use some JavaScript. It works wonderfully.

(Might not work as is)
function reloadWindow(frameNameOrIndex)
{parent.frames[frameNameOrIndex].location.href =
parent.frames[frameNameOrIndex].location;}

function reloadKickOff(minutesToReload,frameNameOrIndex)
{
secondsToReload = 60 * minutesToReload;
setTimeOut(reloadWindow(frameNameOrIndex),10);
}

Stick that in a javascript block in one of the frames and call the
reloadKickOff function.