Velocity Reviews

-   -   Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html, Javascript etc (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t157136-required-and-optional-software-and-utilities-for-creating-html-javascript-etc.html)

Sean 02-14-2004 12:06 AM

Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html, Javascript etc

I have just started learning html, webdesign etc at TAFE.

I would like to know what software and utilities to use.

Freeware & shareware (preferable freeware)

HTML Validators.
Java script editors.
Notepad replacements.
XML Editors.
PDF creation (including locking documents)
Text only browser for Windows XP.
Other good browsers.
Tutorials, useful websites with resources,
Other useful software.

Regards

Sean

Paul Furman 02-14-2004 12:37 AM

Re: Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html,Javascript etc

Sean wrote:
> Java script editors.
> Notepad replacements.
> XML Editors.

I've been using PsPad with good results. Handles many languages.

Leif K-Brooks 02-14-2004 02:58 AM

http://validator.w3.org/

> Java script editors.
> Notepad replacements.

KWrite.

> Text only browser for Windows XP.

Lynx.

> Other good browsers.

Mozilla, Opera, IE/Mac, Konqueror or Safari, Amaya.

Toby A Inkster 02-14-2004 10:17 AM

Sean wrote:

> HTML Validators.

Tidy? Otherwise just use the w3.org validator online.

> Java script editors.
> Notepad replacements.
> XML Editors.

All the above: nedit.

> PDF creation (including locking documents)

OpenOffice.org or Ghostscript.

> Text only browser for Windows XP.

Lynx.

> Other good browsers.

Opera, Mozilla, Konqueror, Netscape 4.

> Tutorials, useful websites with resources,
> Other useful software.

Download and install Opera and then visit:
http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=10

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Spartanicus 02-14-2004 12:02 PM

Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> wrote:

>> HTML Validators.

>Tidy?

Tidy is a linter, and a poor one.

--
Spartanicus

Toby A Inkster 02-14-2004 01:12 PM

Spartanicus wrote:

> Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> wrote:
>
>>> HTML Validators.

>>Tidy?

> Tidy is a linter, and a poor one.

"tidy -e" mainly just sticks to validation.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Spartanicus 02-14-2004 02:29 PM

Re: Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html, Javascript etc

>>>Tidy?

>> Tidy is a linter, and a poor one.

>"tidy -e" mainly just sticks to validation.

It's a linter, *not* a validator (unless something radically changed
since the last time I looked at it ). And the last time I checked tidy
insisted on removing valid code that it didn't like with no option to
prevent that from happening.

--
Spartanicus

John Smith 02-14-2004 02:43 PM

Re: Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html, Javascript etc

> HTML Validators.
> Notepad replacements.

CSE HTML Validator allows you to edit and check your HTML and the PRO
version can also check links
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

Mark Parnell 02-15-2004 11:24 PM

Re: Required & Optional software and utilities for creating html, Javascript etc

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:43:37 +0100, "John Smith" <someone@nobody.com>
declared in alt.html:

> CSE HTML Validator

Despite its name, CSE is a linter, not a validator.

That said, it can be a useful tool, but you need a proper validator
(such as http://validator.w3.org/ or
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/) as well.

--
Mark Parnell