Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: strange things that people search for (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t157042-ot-strange-things-that-people-search-for.html)

Toby A Inkster 02-08-2004 11:03 AM

OT: strange things that people search for

I've been going through my logs and noticing a few strange things that
people have Googled for in the referer field...

* "marcus patrick" gay
* how to prosecute someone in the USA from the UK
* the sleepover club TV series CITV
* buffy the vampire slayer main thame
* Willy Wombat treehouse

Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is. Never heard of the
Sleepover Club TV series either.

Best of all...

* ingredients in a tin of tomatos

Well, duh.

One thing I'm happy about though... I put up this page back in August:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=270

because I had been having trouble configuring the display on Linux for my
new computer at work. This page has been Googled for 74 times: potentially
74 people that have benefited from the 5 minutes it took to put that page
up. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :-)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Eric B. Bednarz 02-08-2004 12:04 PM

Re: OT: strange things that people search for

Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> writes:

> Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
> page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is. Never heard of the
> Sleepover Club TV series either.

Yes you did!

<http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Software/linux/tv2html/test.html>

You just didn't pay attention. :)

--
| ) 111010111011 | http://bednarz.nl/
-(

Toby A Inkster 02-08-2004 01:40 PM

Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

> Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> writes:
>
>> Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
>> page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is.

> Yes you did!

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Sof...html/test.html

Ah. That explains it.

The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andy Dingley 02-08-2004 05:21 PM

Re: OT: strange things that people search for

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:40:11 +0000, Toby A Inkster
<UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> wrote:

>The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
>any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

No (not to share !).

But if you look at the logs for a site (like, for instance a well
known magazine publisher), and this site occasionally features
innocent pictures of "eye candy totty" posing with the latest mobile
phone / CD player gadget, then you get some interesting search
phrases. Often involving some presumably fruitless search for said
totty, pr0n, and either kitchen appliances or farm animals.

And I've no idea why the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan has so much
connection with silicone. Maybe it's all that sand ?

Safalra 02-08-2004 07:38 PM

Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.02.08.13.40.11.585067@goddamn.co.uk >...
> The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
> any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

Sure... These ones are a bit cryptic:

husqzgimae8j
1117 microsoft errors
here outside error = 0 success = 0
#219 chain
10 formula errors

These ones imply some strange people are visiting:

dinosaurs evolved aliens
humans evolved from dolphins

This one is rather sinister:

mass extinctions experiments

This one sounds increasingly desparate as it goes along:

paradox nature or animal or star or galaxy -trek -game -poetry

--- Safalra (Stephen Morley) ---
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext

William Tasso 02-08-2004 08:34 PM

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else
> have any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

better than that: http://www.alltheweb.com/recentqueries can be a trifle
entertaining.

--
William Tasso

Nik Coughin 02-08-2004 08:47 PM

Re: strange things that people search for

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> I've been going through my logs and noticing a few strange things that
> people have Googled for in the referer field...
>
> * "marcus patrick" gay
> * how to prosecute someone in the USA from the UK
> * the sleepover club TV series CITV
> * buffy the vampire slayer main thame
> * Willy Wombat treehouse
>
> Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
> page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is. Never heard
> of the Sleepover Club TV series either.
>
> Best of all...
>
> * ingredients in a tin of tomatos
>
> Well, duh.
>
> One thing I'm happy about though... I put up this page back in August:
>
> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=270
>
> because I had been having trouble configuring the display on Linux
> for my new computer at work. This page has been Googled for 74 times:
> potentially 74 people that have benefited from the 5 minutes it took
> to put that page up. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :-)

I made a site quite some time ago that would generate some strange looking
searches. It uses several different dictionaries and word lists to put
together a "phrase" that it then Googles for, the intent being that you get
a fairly random site out of Google.

Firas D. 02-08-2004 10:25 PM

Also http://searchrequests.weblogs.com/

Eric Bohlman 02-08-2004 10:54 PM

Re: OT: strange things that people search for

Andy Dingley <dingbat@codesmiths.com> wrote in

> And I've no idea why the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan has so much
> connection with silicone. Maybe it's all that sand ?

Maybe it's to do with the fact that there's a supermodel named Jordan.

Zak McGregor 02-09-2004 10:10 PM

Re: OT: strange things that people search for

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 15:40:11 +0200, Toby A Inkster <"Toby A Inkster"
<UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com>> wrote:

> Eric B. Bednarz wrote:
>
>> Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> writes:
>>
>>> Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
>>> page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is.

>> Yes you did!

> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Sof...html/test.html
>
> Ah. That explains it.
>
> The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
> any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

I don't often look, but one I do remember: "how to be a playboy model"...
*grin*

Ciao

Zak

http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs