Velocity Reviews

-   -   nedit on windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t157023-nedit-on-windows.html)

Paul Furman 02-06-2004 05:09 PM

nedit on windows

What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
different os's but no mention of windows.

http://www.nedit.org

Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
confusing just to download.

Cameron 02-06-2004 05:17 PM

Re: nedit on windows

Paul Furman wrote:
> What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
> not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
> source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
> different os's but no mention of windows.
>
> http://www.nedit.org
>
> Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
> confusing just to download.

It tells you exactly what you must do for it to work with windows on the
website.

~Cameron

Paul Furman 02-06-2004 05:32 PM

Re: nedit on windows

Cameron wrote:

> Paul Furman wrote:
>
>> What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
>> not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
>> source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
>> different os's but no mention of windows.
>>
>> http://www.nedit.org
>>
>> Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
>> confusing just to download.
>>

> It tells you exactly what you must do for it to work with windows on the
> website.
>
> ~Cameron

OK I found that. http://www.nedit.org/platforms.shtml Looks like it's
got to install a unix emulator cygwin thing. Is this going to be able to
use the windows clipboard & other normal things?

Sorry if a bit grumpy today. pspad seems to be doing the trick for me.
PHPCoder is basically not usable yet from what I can see, the file
browser is broken and there is no indentation feature. 1stPage has some
issues with php also.

Cameron 02-06-2004 05:47 PM

Re: nedit on windows

Paul Furman wrote:
> Cameron wrote:
>
>> Paul Furman wrote:
>>
>>> What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
>>> not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
>>> source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions
>>> for different os's but no mention of windows.
>>>
>>> http://www.nedit.org
>>>
>>> Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
>>> confusing just to download.
>>>

>> It tells you exactly what you must do for it to work with windows on
>> the website.
>>
>> ~Cameron

> OK I found that. http://www.nedit.org/platforms.shtml Looks like it's
> got to install a unix emulator cygwin thing. Is this going to be able to
> use the windows clipboard & other normal things?
>
> Sorry if a bit grumpy today. pspad seems to be doing the trick for me.
> PHPCoder is basically not usable yet from what I can see, the file
> browser is broken and there is no indentation feature. 1stPage has some
> issues with php also.

I would presume it can, I don't use cygwin, I use FreeBSD Unix.

~Cameron

Jeffrey Silverman 02-06-2004 08:12 PM

Re: nedit on windows

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:09:56 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

> What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
> not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
> source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
> different os's but no mention of windows.
>
> http://www.nedit.org
>
> Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
> confusing just to download.

Question is, why do you want to use a (to quote the nedit site) "a
multi-purpose text editor for the X Window System"?? MS Windows is not X
Windows! (But I guess you know that.)

There are a gajillion (thats 1 with 72 zeroes after) text editors designed
for coding and that run *easily* on MS Windows. Just seems silly to not
use something else.

--
-------------------------
| Jeffrey Silverman |

m 02-06-2004 08:23 PM

Re: nedit on windows

Paul Furman wrote:

> What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
> not work on windows? If I go to the US download mirror, there's only
> source code, if I go to other mirrors there are different versions for
> different os's but no mention of windows.
>
> http://www.nedit.org
>
> Does it even have a gui? I'm thinking I won't like it if it's this
> confusing just to download.

This is a capable programmer's editor, but hardly my favorite, even under
'nix. It seems to have the kind of raw edges that
I associate with early X-Windows applications, but it's rock solid.
Editors like nedit and emacs can appear distinctly odd to someone
who's only been in the Windows world. Look into TextPad or
Note Tab.
--
cheers m

Toby A Inkster 02-07-2004 10:36 AM

Re: nedit on windows

Paul Furman wrote:

> What's the deal with this multi-platform code editor? does this thing
> not work on windows?

Yes it does. I have run it on Windows before. But you'll need an X server
installed first.

> Does it even have a gui?

Yes, it's a GUI text editor.
Screen shot: http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/nedit