Velocity Reviews

-   -   Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t157003-public-web-site-where-i-can-check-usage-statistics-on-other-sites.html)

Stephanie Wilks 02-05-2004 04:17 PM

Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites?

Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site, and
not actually viewing the page.

I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in the
top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you statistics of
the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it was on the
Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors it received a
day, etc. Is there anything like this still around that I can use to
prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

Thanks for any help!

Cameron 02-05-2004 04:26 PM

Re: Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites?

Stephanie Wilks wrote:
> Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
> someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
> receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
> receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site, and
> not actually viewing the page.
>
> I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
> in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in the
> top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you statistics of
> the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it was on the
> Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors it received a
> day, etc. Is there anything like this still around that I can use to
> prove this site doesn't get that many hits?
>
> Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"
>
> Thanks for any help!

Errrr, the google toolbar has a page rank feature that shows you how
people that use the google toolbar like the page, but there is no way
for any application to just see how many hits a site has had without the
server admins specifically setting it up.

http://www.google.com

~Cameron

Mark Parnell 02-05-2004 09:45 PM

Re: Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites?

On 5 Feb 2004 08:17:16 -0800, doghowlett@yahoo.com (Stephanie Wilks)
declared in alt.html:

> Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
> someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
> receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
> receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site, and
> not actually viewing the page.

They're probably just making it up.

> I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
> in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in the
> top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you statistics of
> the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it was on the
> Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors it received a
> day, etc. Is there anything like this still around that I can use to
> prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

The Alexa toolbar does a similar thing as the Google toolbar, though as
Cameron said, there is no way to know how many "hits" the site has
unless they want you to.

> Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

Whatever the site owner wants it to mean. IOW, it is meaningless.
Unfortunately it impresses those who don't know better.

Even if you could prove they were lying, what do you think you could do
about it?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Nik Coughin 02-06-2004 01:37 AM

Mark Parnell wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2004 08:17:16 -0800, doghowlett@yahoo.com (Stephanie Wilks)
> declared in alt.html:
>
>> Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
>> someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
>> receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
>> receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site,
>> and not actually viewing the page.

> They're probably just making it up.
>

>> I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
>> in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in
>> the top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you
>> statistics of the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it
>> was on the Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors
>> it received a day, etc. Is there anything like this still around
>> that I can use to prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

> The Alexa toolbar does a similar thing as the Google toolbar, though
> as Cameron said, there is no way to know how many "hits" the site has
> unless they want you to.
>

>> Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

> Whatever the site owner wants it to mean. IOW, it is meaningless.
> Unfortunately it impresses those who don't know better.
>
> Even if you could prove they were lying, what do you think you could
> do about it?

Hi Mark,

Forgive my ignorance, but what does IOW mean?

Mark Parnell 02-06-2004 01:43 AM

Re: Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:37:30 +1300, "Nik Coughin"
<nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> declared in alt.html:

> Forgive my ignorance, but what does IOW mean?

In Other Words

:-)

Paul Furman 02-06-2004 03:53 AM

Re: Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites?

I thought there was a tracker out there that you can set up to track
someone else's (or your own) site. Doesn't sound possible but I do
recall seeing such a thing recently. Sorry not more help.

Thomas Mlynarczyk 02-06-2004 10:01 AM

Re: Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites?

Do you mean something like http://www.nedstatbasic.net/? (Example:
www.jaas.de, click on the tiny logo at the very bottom of the page.)

Paul Furman 02-06-2004 01:54 PM

Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
> Do you mean something like http://www.nedstatbasic.net/? (Example:
> www.jaas.de, click on the tiny logo at the very bottom of the page.)

Here's the terms for the 4-week free trial (non-commercial sites only):
http://www.nedstat.com/usa/f80125e80150_index.htm

I thought there was one that you could attach to somebody else's site,
unlikely as that sounds.

How do you attach this to your site? You have to upload a utility to
your site I assume?

Thomas Mlynarczyk 02-06-2004 04:11 PM

Re: Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites?

Also sprach Paul Furman:

> I thought there was one that you could attach to somebody else's site,
> unlikely as that sounds.

Unlikely indeed. Unless you resort to illegal means.

> How do you attach this to your site? You have to upload a utility to
> your site I assume?

Well, I guess everytime someone visits the site, that little icon must be
loaded from nedstat and so they can keep track of all the visitors.
But I think it would be more appropriate to write a PHP script which
extracts the data from your own logfiles.