Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   Superimposed Text (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t156865-superimposed-text.html)

Nehmo Sergheyev 01-27-2004 08:02 PM

Superimposed Text
 
Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/produ...sons/chart.htm
I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
background cells.

If I save the page locally and then view in Dreamweaver MX 2004, design
view of the document window, I don't see the text superimposed over
text. But if I preview in browser, which is IE6, I again see the
superimposed text.

And if I view the locally saved page with Front Page 2003 in Design or
Preview, I see the superimposed text.

This is the code of one of the cells:

<TD bgColor=#ffff90 colSpan=11><B><FONT face=Arial size=2>Four Seasons
MC<SUP>2</SUP> WonderGlass</FONT><SPAN
style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"><FONT
face=Verdana,Arial
size=1>TM</FONT></SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=2> [ E =
MC<SUP>2</SUP> ]</B>
[Energy efficiency = Multi Coat Double Glazed Glass] Double Glazed
with
Argon Gas Filling and Dual Seal Silicone with PIB Primary Seal
<FONT
face=Arial size=1>Proprietary advanced technology multiple
coatings with
such exotic metals as titanium and silver are applied. Corners are
bent to
be air/gas tight. Superior construction assures long term
durability.
</FONT></FONT></TD>

Did the designer do something wrong? What caused the text to be
superimposed over the other text? Is this just a problem with my browser
and FP too?

Finally, is there any reliable way to *deliberately* superimpose text
over other text? That is, without rendering one piece of text as an
image?

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************



Mark Fitzpatrick 01-27-2004 08:28 PM

Re: Superimposed Text
 
It's the trademark I believe. Dump the entire <span style="line-height: 0px;
vertical-align: super"><font FACE="Verdana,Arial" size="1">TM</font></span>
and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark symbol.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Nehmo Sergheyev" <nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gtzRb.116881$fq1.80213@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
> http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/produ...sons/chart.htm
> I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
> background cells.
>
> If I save the page locally and then view in Dreamweaver MX 2004, design
> view of the document window, I don't see the text superimposed over
> text. But if I preview in browser, which is IE6, I again see the
> superimposed text.
>
> And if I view the locally saved page with Front Page 2003 in Design or
> Preview, I see the superimposed text.
>
> This is the code of one of the cells:
>
> <TD bgColor=#ffff90 colSpan=11><B><FONT face=Arial size=2>Four Seasons
> MC<SUP>2</SUP> WonderGlass</FONT><SPAN
> style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"><FONT
> face=Verdana,Arial
> size=1>TM</FONT></SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=2> [ E =
> MC<SUP>2</SUP> ]</B>
> [Energy efficiency = Multi Coat Double Glazed Glass] Double Glazed
> with
> Argon Gas Filling and Dual Seal Silicone with PIB Primary Seal
> <FONT
> face=Arial size=1>Proprietary advanced technology multiple
> coatings with
> such exotic metals as titanium and silver are applied. Corners are
> bent to
> be air/gas tight. Superior construction assures long term
> durability.
> </FONT></FONT></TD>
>
> Did the designer do something wrong? What caused the text to be
> superimposed over the other text? Is this just a problem with my browser
> and FP too?
>
> Finally, is there any reliable way to *deliberately* superimpose text
> over other text? That is, without rendering one piece of text as an
> image?
>
> --
> *********************
> * Nehmo Sergheyev *
> *********************
>
>




Richard 01-27-2004 09:17 PM

Re: Superimposed Text
 
Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

> Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
> http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/produ...sons/chart.htm
> I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
> background cells.


It's not the browser fault, but that of the writer in attempting to make
something look fancy.

LINE-HEIGHT: 0px

What's wrong with this idea? If a line has no height, where can the text go?
Perhaps he wanted to use 40px but didn't check his typing that closely.
Try other height's and see what happens.



Nehmo Sergheyev 01-27-2004 11:03 PM

Re: Superimposed Text
 
- Nehmo -
> > Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
> > http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/produ...sons/chart.htm
> > I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
> > background cells.


- Richard -
> It's not the browser fault, but that of the writer in attempting to

make
> something look fancy.
>
> LINE-HEIGHT: 0px
>
> What's wrong with this idea? If a line has no height, where can the

text go?
> Perhaps he wanted to use 40px but didn't check his typing that

closely.
> Try other height's and see what happens.


- Nehmo -
When I eliminate the entire span tag,
<SPAN style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"> ,
it works the way the author intended.

Interesting. I wonder if this peculiarity can be used.
I got a page at http://home.kc.rr.com/plumb/SasciiBW.html

I'm going to see if I can superimpose some more text on it, keeping the
existing text as a background.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************




Nehmo Sergheyev 01-27-2004 11:22 PM

Re: Superimposed Text
 

- Mark Fitzpatrick -
> It's the trademark I believe.


- Nehmo -
Maybe your're right in that's it's deliberate. I notice something
similar with the TM on another page of the site:
http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/produ...ns/compare.htm

- Mark Fitzpatrick -
> Dump the entire <span style="line-height: 0px;
> vertical-align: super"><font FACE="Verdana,Arial"

size="1">TM</font></span>
> and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark

symbol.

- Nehmo -
Well, that's right.

I notice the author didn't use ™


--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************






Rob Duval 01-28-2004 12:23 PM

Re: Superimposed Text
 
interesting...it formats correctly in netscape, regardless of browser
window size. ie shows the super-imposed text that you describe.

as posted elsewhere in this thread, looks to probably be the TM being
super-scripted.

strange...



Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
> Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
> http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/produ...sons/chart.htm
> I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
> background cells.
>
> If I save the page locally and then view in Dreamweaver MX 2004, design
> view of the document window, I don't see the text superimposed over
> text. But if I preview in browser, which is IE6, I again see the
> superimposed text.
>
> And if I view the locally saved page with Front Page 2003 in Design or
> Preview, I see the superimposed text.
>
> This is the code of one of the cells:
>
> <TD bgColor=#ffff90 colSpan=11><B><FONT face=Arial size=2>Four Seasons
> MC<SUP>2</SUP> WonderGlass</FONT><SPAN
> style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"><FONT
> face=Verdana,Arial
> size=1>TM</FONT></SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=2> [ E =
> MC<SUP>2</SUP> ]</B>
> [Energy efficiency = Multi Coat Double Glazed Glass] Double Glazed
> with
> Argon Gas Filling and Dual Seal Silicone with PIB Primary Seal
> <FONT
> face=Arial size=1>Proprietary advanced technology multiple
> coatings with
> such exotic metals as titanium and silver are applied. Corners are
> bent to
> be air/gas tight. Superior construction assures long term
> durability.
> </FONT></FONT></TD>
>
> Did the designer do something wrong? What caused the text to be
> superimposed over the other text? Is this just a problem with my browser
> and FP too?
>
> Finally, is there any reliable way to *deliberately* superimpose text
> over other text? That is, without rendering one piece of text as an
> image?
>



Kim André Akerĝ 01-28-2004 05:41 PM

Re: Superimposed Text
 
"Mark Fitzpatrick" <markfitz@fitzme.com> skrev i melding
news:egcWyQR5DHA.2412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Nehmo Sergheyev" <nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gtzRb.116881$fq1.80213@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> > Using IE6 viewing this (not my) page
> > http://www.sunlifesunrooms.com/produ...sons/chart.htm
> > I see text superimposed on text in the fourth and fifth yellow
> > background cells.
> >
> > If I save the page locally and then view in Dreamweaver MX 2004, design
> > view of the document window, I don't see the text superimposed over
> > text. But if I preview in browser, which is IE6, I again see the
> > superimposed text.
> >
> > And if I view the locally saved page with Front Page 2003 in Design or
> > Preview, I see the superimposed text.
> >
> > This is the code of one of the cells:
> >
> > <TD bgColor=#ffff90 colSpan=11><B><FONT face=Arial size=2>Four Seasons
> > MC<SUP>2</SUP> WonderGlass</FONT><SPAN
> > style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: super; LINE-HEIGHT: 0px"><FONT
> > face=Verdana,Arial
> > size=1>TM</FONT></SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=2> [ E =
> > MC<SUP>2</SUP> ]</B>
> > [Energy efficiency = Multi Coat Double Glazed Glass] Double Glazed
> > with
> > Argon Gas Filling and Dual Seal Silicone with PIB Primary Seal
> > <FONT
> > face=Arial size=1>Proprietary advanced technology multiple
> > coatings with
> > such exotic metals as titanium and silver are applied. Corners are
> > bent to
> > be air/gas tight. Superior construction assures long term
> > durability.
> > </FONT></FONT></TD>
> >
> > Did the designer do something wrong? What caused the text to be
> > superimposed over the other text? Is this just a problem with my browser
> > and FP too?
> >
> > Finally, is there any reliable way to *deliberately* superimpose text
> > over other text? That is, without rendering one piece of text as an
> > image?
> >

> It's the trademark I believe. Dump the entire <span style="line-height:

0px;
> vertical-align: super"><font FACE="Verdana,Arial"

size="1">TM</font></span>
> and replace it with ™ this is the code for a trademark symbol.


Better yet, use &trade; instead. Much easier to remember. Also, for the
<sup>2</sup>, you can use &sup2;. Both are in the W3C recommendation for
HTML 4.0 (meaning, it's not just certain browsers).

List of entities, if you like the geek talk:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html

Without too much geek talk (same list, easier to read):
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- kimandre@NOSPAMbetadome.com
(remove NOSPAM to contact me directly)




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.