Velocity Reviews

-   -   Photo resizing form and accessibility (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t156293-photo-resizing-form-and-accessibility.html)

Leif K-Brooks 12-18-2003 05:32 PM

Photo resizing form and accessibility

I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size, and that
would be meaningless to a blind person. What would be the most
accessible way to put the form?

m 12-18-2003 07:25 PM

Re: Photo resizing form and accessibility

Leif K-Brooks may have written:

> I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
> descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
> want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size, and that
> would be meaningless to a blind person. What would be the most
> accessible way to put the form?

Usually forms are not used -- you make the image a link, or
put a normal text link near the image. The alt information
gives the accessibility, so it should be filled
out meaningfully.
http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb/index.html
--
Cheers, m

brucie 12-18-2003 08:44 PM

Re: Photo resizing form and accessibility

in post <news:7xlEb.1207$MY.923976@monger.newsread.com>
Leif K-Brooks said:

> I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
> descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
> want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size,

whats wrong with links to the different sizes?

--
brucie
19/December/2003 06:43:33 am kilo

Leif K-Brooks 12-18-2003 10:27 PM

brucie wrote:
>>I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
>>descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
>>want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size,

> whats wrong with links to the different sizes?

I have a script resizing the image, and I would like the user to be able
to choose any size.

brucie 12-18-2003 10:54 PM

Re: Photo resizing form and accessibility

in post <news:VQpEb.1225$MY.934707@monger.newsread.com>
Leif K-Brooks said:

>> whats wrong with links to the different sizes?

> I have a script resizing the image,

i'd like to see that, all the resizing scripts i've seen do a very poor
job.

> and I would like the user to be able to choose any size.

i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

--
brucie
19/December/2003 08:46:59 am kilo

Cameron 12-18-2003 11:06 PM

brucie wrote:

> in post <news:VQpEb.1225$MY.934707@monger.newsread.com>
> Leif K-Brooks said:
>

>>>whats wrong with links to the different sizes?

>>I have a script resizing the image,

> i'd like to see that, all the resizing scripts i've seen do a very poor
> job.

I have seen a couple using the GD Lib I think, they seem to do it fairly
well.

>>and I would like the user to be able to choose any size.

> i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

Small image = less bandwidth yet people with poor eyesight may have
trouble seeing it

Big image = LOTS of bandwidth and would be pointless for all people,
like poor dialup users (me) ;)

~Cameron

brucie 12-18-2003 11:17 PM

Re: Photo resizing form and accessibility

in post <news:brtbsj$b5s$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>
Cameron said:

>>>and I would like the user to be able to choose any size.

>> i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

> Small image = less bandwidth yet people with poor eyesight may have
> trouble seeing it
>
> Big image = LOTS of bandwidth and would be pointless for all people,
> like poor dialup users (me) ;)

the initial image would just need to be a balance between the two. a
reasonable quality image of about 600x400 is only about 30k (depending
on what the image is). as well as the image size allow the quality level
to be adjusted. simple.

--
brucie
19/December/2003 09:07:38 am kilo

Leif K-Brooks 12-18-2003 11:41 PM

brucie wrote:
>>and I would like the user to be able to choose any size.

> i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

A blind person would be able to hear the description, but a size
selection form would be meaningles to them.

brucie 12-18-2003 11:49 PM

Re: Photo resizing form and accessibility

in post <news:AWqEb.886$7%6.545772@newshog.newsread.com>
Leif K-Brooks said:

>> i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

> A blind person would be able to hear the description, but a size
> selection form would be meaningles to them.

no it wouldn't. they just wouldn't bother using the form and there is
nothing stopping them sending the pic to a sighted person and would want
to select a size. disabled does not necessarily mean stupid.

--
brucie
19/December/2003 09:44:13 am kilo

Leif K-Brooks 12-19-2003 12:08 AM

brucie wrote:
> no it wouldn't. they just wouldn't bother using the form and there is
> nothing stopping them sending the pic to a sighted person and would want
> to select a size. disabled does not necessarily mean stupid.

I'm not sure about that. Wouldn't you be a bit confused by, say, a
volume control when you aren't hearing any audio?