Velocity Reviews

-   -   personal pet hate (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t156059-personal-pet-hate.html)

Rob 12-03-2003 12:01 PM

personal pet hate

I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains (25
each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
here)...

Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...

"It's obviously a 'personal pet hate' of yours when people want to buy more
than one name..."

Comments please, so that I can forward them on to her. Personally, I dont
really agree with domain hogging, and dont feel 75 for three domains is a
good investment. The money would be better used to promote the site in other
ways. I am just trying to be fair to her.

brucie 12-03-2003 12:13 PM

Re: personal pet hate

in post <news:bqkjao$fe4$1@hercules.btinternet.com>
Rob said:

> I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
> person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
> registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains (25
> each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
> here)...
>
> Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
> that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
> domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...
>
> "It's obviously a 'personal pet hate' of yours when people want to buy more
> than one name..."
>
> Comments please, so that I can forward them on to her. Personally, I dont
> really agree with domain hogging, and dont feel 75 for three domains is a
> good investment. The money would be better used to promote the site in other
> ways. I am just trying to be fair to her.

my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.

my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

--
brucie
03/December/2003 10:06:52 pm kilo

Rob 12-03-2003 12:28 PM

Re: personal pet hate

> my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
>
> my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
> just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
> wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

I will, without delay. Its shitty, cause she is a whiner, and she
*explicitly said* tell me everything you think, about my choices and
decisions on all matters relating to my website.

I had to sit through a 30 minute lecture on the phone about it... She wakes
me up at the crack of dawn on saturday mornings (i work from home) and calls
on sundays too. Her old web designer wont work with her... you know the
type.

I was hoping (tongue in cheek) to get a list of coments from people here,
which I could pass on to her... something along the lines of domain hog etc
hehe

Matthias Gutfeldt 12-03-2003 01:39 PM

Re: personal pet hate

brucie wrote:
> in post <news:bqkjao$fe4$1@hercules.btinternet.com>
> Rob said:
>

>>I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
>>person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
>>registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains (25
>>each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
>>here)...
>>
>>Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
>>that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
>>domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...
>>
>>"It's obviously a 'personal pet hate' of yours when people want to buy more
>>than one name..."
>>
>>Comments please, so that I can forward them on to her. Personally, I dont
>>really agree with domain hogging, and dont feel 75 for three domains is a
>>good investment. The money would be better used to promote the site in other
>>ways. I am just trying to be fair to her.

> my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
>
> my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
> just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
> wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

I'll keep that in mind next time a client wants a Flash intro and
Javascript-only navigation for his 1024x786-optimized brochureware site.

Matthias

Matthias Gutfeldt 12-03-2003 01:41 PM

Re: personal pet hate

Rob wrote:
>>my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
>>
>>my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
>>just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
>>wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

> I will, without delay. Its shitty, cause she is a whiner

If you don't get along with a client:

"How to Fire a Client and Protect a Reputation"
<http://www.laurabenjamin.com/Articles/fireaclient.htm>

Matthias

brucie 12-03-2003 02:28 PM

Re: personal pet hate

in post <news:bqkp2p$23scgd$1@ID-16734.news.uni-berlin.de>
Matthias Gutfeldt said:

>> my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
>> just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
>> wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

> I'll keep that in mind next time a client wants a Flash intro and
> Javascript-only navigation for his 1024x786-optimized brochureware site.

totally different situation.

--
brucie
04/December/2003 12:26:37 am kilo

Tina - AffordableHOST.com 12-03-2003 03:34 PM

Re: personal pet hate

"Rob" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> > my advice to you is if she wants 3 or 300 domains give them to her.
> >
> > my advice to her would be to register her domains somewhere cheaper,
> > just about anywhere would be and she wouldn't have to justify why she
> > wants them or sit through a lecture on why she shouldn't want them.

> I will, without delay. Its shitty, cause she is a whiner, and she
> *explicitly said* tell me everything you think, about my choices and
> decisions on all matters relating to my website.
>
> I had to sit through a 30 minute lecture on the phone about it... She

wakes
> me up at the crack of dawn on saturday mornings (i work from home) and

calls
> on sundays too. Her old web designer wont work with her... you know the
> type.

Yeah, the type that you can bill them for any phone time after X amount of
hours. Love 'em. You do have that in the contract, don't you? ;-)

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com
20% Discount Code: newsgroup

Jeff Thies 12-03-2003 05:15 PM

Re: personal pet hate

"Rob" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
> person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
> registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains

(25
> each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
> here)...

I never get involved in this, but...

There are valid reasons to have multiple domains. Typically this is done
when you wish to grab a larger market share of a large market. Normally the
people that do this have their own servers and adding domains is just part
of the job.

I would think that a specialized business or a major brand would be
disadvantaged by this. You would be competing against yourself...

On the other hand, good domain names, are hard to find. If you have a
potential use for it is it a bad idea to lock it up?

Jeff

Jay 12-03-2003 05:48 PM

Re: personal pet hate

"Rob" <test@test.com> wrote in message
> I have a client who wants to register three domains for her small (one
> person) business. Given that I make a small amount of money with each
> registration, its surely in my interests to register all three domains

(25
> each, thats the price, always has been, but lets not dispute the price
> here)...
>
> Obviously the client is going to remain un-named, but when I advised her
> that the most sensible thing to do would be to register one appropriate
> domain name, one which she liked, and stick with it she said...
>
> "It's obviously a 'personal pet hate' of yours when people want to buy

more
> than one name..."
>
> Comments please, so that I can forward them on to her. Personally, I dont
> really agree with domain hogging, and dont feel 75 for three domains is a
> good investment. The money would be better used to promote the site in

other
> ways. I am just trying to be fair to her.

If she wants to by more than one domain name, why not? They're not yours to
decide how they are distributed. Domain names have been around for years. If
she found some that are available, there's probably not much of a demand for
them so I don't see how you could consider her a domain hog.

Besides, if you don't sell them to her and she really wants them, someone
else will end up making money on the sale. Especially when she finds them
cheaper.

- J

Rob 12-03-2003 08:26 PM

Re: personal pet hate

> If she wants to by more than one domain name, why not? They're not yours
> decide how they are distributed. Domain names have been around for years.

If
> she found some that are available, there's probably not much of a demand

for
> them so I don't see how you could consider her a domain hog.
>
> Besides, if you don't sell them to her and she really wants them, someone
> else will end up making money on the sale. Especially when she finds them
> cheaper.

The client found a bunch of pathetic domain names, whined about the price
(the price comes with the best service I am able to give, and... its my
price at the end of the day) and got upset when I gave her my advice. I told
her I would do whatever she asked of me, but... some clients you just cant
please.

If she had a little extra to spend (as did another cilent of mine who bought
3 domains, and wanted three websites to promote one product, which was
discounted of course) she woudl have a point. But, buying shitty (and I do
mean shitty) domains for the sake of it...

I at least expexted her to thank me for my advice, but perhaps agree to
disagree. I didnt expect to get what was at the end of the day, a rather
nasty attack from her. Now I know why her old web designer refused to work
with her.