Velocity Reviews

-   -   imagemaps and css (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t155770-imagemaps-and-css.html)

Paul F. Johnson 11-14-2003 11:04 AM

imagemaps and css

Hi,

I've done a bit of googling to see if I can find how to do this...

Currently, I have a website in design which needs an imagemap. Now, I
already have a stylesheet setup which loads the background image for me
via

background : #dbdbdb
url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;

I've defined my image map for this banner.

As I'm loading in the banner via the stylesheet, I'd like to say which to
use the map within the stylesheet.

While there is a map, there isn't a usemap. Do I just swap one for the
other and have something like

.... no-repeat map("#logo-map");

or do I need a separate line which reads

map : url("#logo-map");

?

TTFN

Paul

rf 11-14-2003 11:15 AM

Re: imagemaps and css

"Paul F. Johnson" <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.11.14.11.04.16.262094@spammersahoy!. co.uk...
> Hi,
>
> I've done a bit of googling to see if I can find how to do this...
>
> Currently, I have a website in design which needs an imagemap. Now, I
> already have a stylesheet setup which loads the background image for me
> via
>
> background : #dbdbdb
> url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
>
> I've defined my image map for this banner.

Er, banner? It's a background.

Image maps don't apply to backgrounds.

> As I'm loading in the banner via the stylesheet, I'd like to say which to
> use the map within the stylesheet.

Hmmm. It's not a banner, it's a background.

Image maps don't apply to backgrounds

> While there is a map, there isn't a usemap. Do I just swap one for the
> other and have something like

> ... no-repeat map("#logo-map");
>
> or do I need a separate line which reads
>
> map : url("#logo-map");

Read this.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html#h-13.6

Cheers
Richard.

Sid Ismail 11-14-2003 11:16 AM

Re: imagemaps and css

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:04:16 +0000, "Paul F. Johnson"
<paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote:

: background : #dbdbdb
: url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
:
: I've defined my image map for this banner.

Wont work. It is a _background_, and will render differently depending on
resolution.

Sid

Paul F. Johnson 11-14-2003 11:21 AM

Re: imagemaps and css

Hi

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:15:54 +0000, rf wrote:

> "Paul F. Johnson" <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote in message

>> background : #dbdbdb
>> url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
>>

> Er, banner? It's a background.

D'oh!

It must be Friday....

Thanks :-)

TTFN

Paul

rf 11-14-2003 11:41 AM

Re: imagemaps and css

"Sid Ismail" <elsid@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:04:16 +0000, "Paul F. Johnson"
> <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote:
>
> : background : #dbdbdb
> : url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
> :
> : I've defined my image map for this banner.
>

> Wont work. It is a _background_, and will render differently depending on
> resolution.

How so Sid? What does 'resolution' have to do with the rendering of a
background?

Cheers
Richard.

Sid Ismail 11-14-2003 01:54 PM

Re: imagemaps and css

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:41:52 GMT, "rf" <making.it.up@the.time> wrote:

:
: "Sid Ismail" <elsid@nospam.com> wrote in message
: news:obe9rvok58vo9mjeun6n8nqtcp398j5t4e@4ax.com...
: > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:04:16 +0000, "Paul F. Johnson"
: > <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote:
: >
: > : background : #dbdbdb
: > : url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
: > :
: > : I've defined my image map for this banner.
: >
: >
: > Wont work. It is a _background_, and will render differently depending on
: > resolution.
:
: How so Sid? What does 'resolution' have to do with the rendering of a
: background?
:

If you're on a 640 width, and the image map points to 700,30 e.g.... see ?

Sid