Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using non-"websafe" colors (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t155514-using-non-websafe-colors.html)

TheKeith 10-27-2003 11:34 PM

Using non-"websafe" colors

I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit color
depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

Mark Parnell 10-27-2003 11:38 PM

Re: Using non-"websafe" colors

Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:34:58 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
have stated:

> I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
> websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit color
> depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
> stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
> usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

Did you check the archives? It has been discussed here a number of times
recently. Web safe colours are of historical interest only. They are
irrelevant in the modern web.

BTW: What does putting them in quotes have to do with anything?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

William Tasso 10-27-2003 11:44 PM

Re: Using non-"websafe" colors

TheKeith wrote:
> I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint
> completely websafe, particularly when users are running machines set
> to a 16-bit color depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group
> as far as standards and stuff, I was wondering what you thought about
> using other colors besides the usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

don't give it a moments thought. folk using machines with ancient graphics
processors are accostomed to seeing a weird world of crazy colours. when
your client or their customers have a problem you'll hear about it soon
enough.

It's not an issue if your carefully thought out pastel background looks
(almost) white or if your deep rich headings are (almost) a strong solid
colour. Contrast is more important.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

TheKeith 10-27-2003 11:50 PM

Re: Using non-"websafe" colors

"Mark Parnell" <webmaster@clarkecomputers.com.au> wrote in message
> Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:34:58 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
> have stated:
>
> > I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
> > websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit

color
> > depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards

and
> > stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides

the
> > usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

> Did you check the archives? It has been discussed here a number of times
> recently. Web safe colours are of historical interest only. They are
> irrelevant in the modern web.
>
> BTW: What does putting them in quotes have to do with anything?

thanks for the advice. I put it in quotes because that's what people refer
to those 216 colors as--"websafe color palette"

TheKeith 10-27-2003 11:54 PM

Re: Using non-"websafe" colors

"William Tasso" <news27@tbdata.com> wrote in message
> TheKeith wrote:
> > I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint
> > completely websafe, particularly when users are running machines set
> > to a 16-bit color depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group
> > as far as standards and stuff, I was wondering what you thought about
> > using other colors besides the usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

> don't give it a moments thought. folk using machines with ancient

graphics
> processors are accostomed to seeing a weird world of crazy colours. when
> your client or their customers have a problem you'll hear about it soon
> enough.
>
> It's not an issue if your carefully thought out pastel background looks
> (almost) white or if your deep rich headings are (almost) a strong solid
> colour. Contrast is more important.

ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned as to
whether my stuff will look radically different on a different platform? I
want to be sure I can safely make the switch without any unanticipated
problems. But since I'm not too concerned about the small number of people
using ancient machines, I guess I'll just use whichever colors I want.
Thanks again.

Mark Parnell 10-28-2003 12:02 AM

Re: Using non-"websafe" colors

Sometime around Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:50:10 -0500, TheKeith is reported to
have stated:

> thanks for the advice. I put it in quotes because that's what people refer
> to those 216 colors as--"websafe color palette"

Sorry - I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant that you
quoted the colour values in your code, rather than the word "websafe" when
writing about it. Understand now. :-)

My other comments still stand, of course.

rf 10-28-2003 12:22 AM

Re: Using non-"websafe" colors

"TheKeith" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

> "William Tasso" <news27@tbdata.com> wrote in message
> > TheKeith wrote:
> > > I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint
> > > completely websafe,

> > don't give it a moments thought. folk using machines with ancient

> graphics
> > processors are accostomed to seeing a weird world of crazy colours.

when
> > your client or their customers have a problem you'll hear about it soon
> > enough.

> ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned as to
> whether my stuff will look radically different on a different platform?

It's going to be different anyway. No two screens (even of the same model)
display colours exactly the same.

Cheers
Richard.

William Tasso 10-28-2003 12:46 AM

Re: Using non-"websafe" colors

TheKeith wrote:
> ok thanks. As a graphic designer though--I'm just a little concerned
> as to whether my stuff will look radically different on a different
> platform?

it will - as Richard said.

> I want to be sure I can safely make the switch without any
> unanticipated problems. But since I'm not too concerned about the
> small number of people using ancient machines,

It's not the number of people - we have no way of knowing that. It's just
the simple fact that these older systems will be displaying a messed up web
of odd colours to their users already - they'll be used to it.

> I guess I'll just use
> whichever colors I want.

That's the way ;o)

don't forget contrast.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Barefoot Kid 10-28-2003 01:55 AM

Re: Using non-"websafe" colors

"TheKeith" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:Gv6dna1oK74CNgCiRVn-hA@giganews.com...
| I put websafe in quotes because apparently even websafe aint completely
| websafe, particularly when users are running machines set to a 16-bit color
| depth. Knowing how strict people are in this group as far as standards and
| stuff, I was wondering what you thought about using other colors besides the
| usual 216 "websafe" ones. Thoughts?

i've never been overly concerned with using web safe colours myself
Hung Diep
New Media Designer
www.intro-spect.co.uk
0795 6576 319