Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with Favicon (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t155457-problem-with-favicon.html)

Mika Stenberg 10-23-2003 07:35 PM

Problem with Favicon

I cant get my IE6 to show any favicons next to URL. Wonder what is wrong?
Mozilla does it ok.

Mika

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 10-23-2003 07:58 PM

Re: Problem with Favicon

Mika Stenberg pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
> I cant get my IE6 to show any favicons next to URL. Wonder what is wrong?
> Mozilla does it ok.

IIRC, IE never uses a favicon in the address bar, only on the "favorites"
menu when the page is bookmarked. And then it disappears when the visitor
clears history and Temporary Internet Files.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

rf 10-23-2003 08:02 PM

Re: Problem with Favicon

"Mika Stenberg" <mika.stenberg@welho.com> wrote in message
> I cant get my IE6 to show any favicons next to URL. Wonder what is wrong?

You haven't bookmarked the page.

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell 10-23-2003 10:35 PM

Re: Problem with Favicon

Sometime around Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:35:59 +0300, Mika Stenberg is reported
to have stated:

> I cant get my IE6 to show any favicons next to URL. Wonder what is wrong?

You're using IE. :-)

Yes, it's a bug (shock, horror!) - it won't show until you bookmark it.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Dan 10-23-2003 10:45 PM

Re: Problem with Favicon

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:58:56 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
<a.nony.nous@example.invalid> wrote...
| IIRC, IE never uses a favicon in the address bar, only on the "favorites"
| menu when the page is bookmarked.

It will also appear in the address bar on visits after you have
bookmarked the page. But as you suggested, it can be erratic.

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.

Dan 10-24-2003 03:24 AM

Re: Problem with Favicon

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:35:45 +1000, Mark Parnell
<webmaster@clarkecomputers.com.au> wrote...
| You're using IE. :-)
|
| Yes, it's a bug (shock, horror!) - it won't show until you bookmark it.

Because IE can be so flakey, it is probably better to confirm that the
icon is up and working using Mozilla or another browser.

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.

Mark Parnell 10-24-2003 03:55 AM

Re: Problem with Favicon

Sometime around Fri, 24 Oct 2003 03:24:59 GMT, Dan is reported to have
stated:

> Because IE can be so flakey, it is probably better to confirm that the
> icon is up and working using Mozilla or another browser.

I find that that is the best way to go for any testing - test on Mozilla
(or _something_ other than IE), and then check in IE once it looks right.