Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   Images (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t155386-images.html)

nerdy 10-20-2003 11:28 AM

Images
 
I'm new here so here goes. Just started playing arund with html and I
wonder if there is a correct way. Or does anything go. Ill tell you what I
mean. I want to break a htm page with bars. Now I know the standard "rule"
to break up a page in html. When using an image of a bar that I downloaded
from the net, is it correct, or the done thing to use, for instance,
numbers that you would use to set the size of a picture image ? I hope this
makes sense. I'm still trying to get a handle on the jargon.



nerdy 10-20-2003 11:46 AM

Re: Images
 

"nerdy" <nhope_nz@yahool.com> wrote in message
news:3f93c676@news.iconz.co.nz...
> I'm new here so here goes. Just started playing arund with html and I
> wonder if there is a correct way. Or does anything go. Ill tell you what

I
> mean. I want to break a htm page with bars. Now I know the standard

"rule"
> to break up a page in html. When using an image of a bar that I

downloaded
> from the net, is it correct, or the done thing to use, for instance,
> numbers that you would use to set the size of a picture image ? I hope

this
> makes sense. I'm still trying to get a handle on the jargon.
>
>

Oh, and also, are there any other "rules" that can be used to break the page
up. Or is using images of rules the "correct" way to do it.



William Tasso 10-20-2003 11:54 AM

Re: Images
 
nerdy wrote:
> I'm new here so here goes.


Then pull up a chair, sit down and crack open a cold one. While you're
chillin', take a look at previous posts, perhaps dig even further back at
http://groups.google.com

> Just started playing arund with html and I
> wonder if there is a correct way.


Indeed there is: The specs are here: http://w3.org/

> Or does anything go.


No - you can't just make stuff up and expect it to work.

> Ill tell you
> what I mean. I want to break a htm page with bars.


Sounds like visual styling, perhaps you should take a look at CSS here:
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

Unfortunately, the crystal ball is at the cleaners so I'm gonna have to
guess unless you can supply a url that shows what you mean.

> Now I know the
> standard "rule" to break up a page in html.


I don't.

> When using an image of a
> bar that I downloaded from the net, is it correct, or the done thing
> to use, for instance, numbers that you would use to set the size of a
> picture image ?


For an image? you mean width and height? It doesn't matter, some folk say
you should always specify them (it helps stop some browsers 'jumping about'
when loading the page), others say don't waste your time (you have to
remember to keep your markup in tune with your graphic).

Just a thought - is this a background image? take a google at "CSS
background".

> I hope this makes sense.


almost - as I said, the crystal ball facility is not currently available.

> I'm still trying to get a handle on the jargon.


The 'jargon' is in the specs.

Once again - a URL speaks a thousand words.

In any event, good luck.
--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com



Adrienne 10-20-2003 07:30 PM

Re: Images
 
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "nerdy" <nhope_nz@yahool.com>
writing in news:3f93caad$1@news.iconz.co.nz:

>
> "nerdy" <nhope_nz@yahool.com> wrote in message
> news:3f93c676@news.iconz.co.nz...
>> I'm new here so here goes. Just started playing arund with html and I
>> wonder if there is a correct way. Or does anything go. Ill tell you
>> what I mean. I want to break a htm page with bars. Now I know the
>> standard "rule" to break up a page in html. When using an image of a
>> bar that I downloaded from the net, is it correct, or the done thing
>> to use, for instance, numbers that you would use to set the size of a
>> picture image ? I hope this makes sense. I'm still trying to get a
>> handle on the jargon.
>>
>>

> Oh, and also, are there any other "rules" that can be used to break the
> page up. Or is using images of rules the "correct" way to do it.
>
>


My crystal ball says you're looking to break up the page with some sort of
horizontal rule, whether it be using the HR element, or a long, thin image.

Without images:
<p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890 times.
</p>
<hr>
<p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890 times.
</p>

With an image. Yes, you should include the actual width and height of the
image.

<p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890 times.
</p>
<img src="bar.jpg" height="25" width="400" alt="">
<p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890 times.
</p>


--
Adrienne Boswell
Please respond to the group so others can share
http://www.arbpen.com

nerdy 10-21-2003 11:09 AM

Re: Images
 

"Adrienne" <arbpen2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Xns941A7F0D53527arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158 ...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "nerdy" <nhope_nz@yahool.com>
> writing in news:3f93caad$1@news.iconz.co.nz:
>
> >
> > "nerdy" <nhope_nz@yahool.com> wrote in message
> > news:3f93c676@news.iconz.co.nz...
> >> I'm new here so here goes. Just started playing arund with html and I
> >> wonder if there is a correct way. Or does anything go. Ill tell you
> >> what I mean. I want to break a htm page with bars. Now I know the
> >> standard "rule" to break up a page in html. When using an image of a
> >> bar that I downloaded from the net, is it correct, or the done thing
> >> to use, for instance, numbers that you would use to set the size of a
> >> picture image ? I hope this makes sense. I'm still trying to get a
> >> handle on the jargon.
> >>
> >>

> > Oh, and also, are there any other "rules" that can be used to break the
> > page up. Or is using images of rules the "correct" way to do it.
> >
> >

>
> My crystal ball says you're looking to break up the page with some sort of
> horizontal rule, whether it be using the HR element, or a long, thin

image.
>
> Without images:
> <p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890 times.
> </p>
> <hr>
> <p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890 times.
> </p>
>
> With an image. Yes, you should include the actual width and height of the
> image.
>
> <p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890 times.
> </p>
> <img src="bar.jpg" height="25" width="400" alt="">
> <p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890 times.
> </p>
>
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell
> Please respond to the group so others can share
> http://www.arbpen.com


thank you Adrienne. Very helpful. I just wanted to check if had dont it
right. After all, as with most things theres a right way and a wrong way.
I was just checkin.



nerdy 10-21-2003 11:15 AM

Re: Images
 

"nerdy" <nhope_nz@yahool.com> wrote in message
news:3f951373@news.iconz.co.nz...
>
> "Adrienne" <arbpen2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns941A7F0D53527arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158 ...
> > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "nerdy" <nhope_nz@yahool.com>
> > writing in news:3f93caad$1@news.iconz.co.nz:
> >
> > >
> > > "nerdy" <nhope_nz@yahool.com> wrote in message
> > > news:3f93c676@news.iconz.co.nz...
> > >> I'm new here so here goes. Just started playing arund with html and

I
> > >> wonder if there is a correct way. Or does anything go. Ill tell you
> > >> what I mean. I want to break a htm page with bars. Now I know the
> > >> standard "rule" to break up a page in html. When using an image of a
> > >> bar that I downloaded from the net, is it correct, or the done thing
> > >> to use, for instance, numbers that you would use to set the size of a
> > >> picture image ? I hope this makes sense. I'm still trying to get a
> > >> handle on the jargon.
> > >>
> > >>
> > > Oh, and also, are there any other "rules" that can be used to break

the
> > > page up. Or is using images of rules the "correct" way to do it.
> > >
> > >

> >
> > My crystal ball says you're looking to break up the page with some sort

of
> > horizontal rule, whether it be using the HR element, or a long, thin

> image.
> >
> > Without images:
> > <p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890

times.
> > </p>
> > <hr>
> > <p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890

times.
> > </p>
> >
> > With an image. Yes, you should include the actual width and height of

the
> > image.
> >
> > <p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890

times.
> > </p>
> > <img src="bar.jpg" height="25" width="400" alt="">
> > <p>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back 01234567890

times.
> > </p>
> >
> >
> > --
> > Adrienne Boswell
> > Please respond to the group so others can share
> > http://www.arbpen.com

>
> thank you Adrienne. Very helpful. I just wanted to check if had dont it
> right. After all, as with most things theres a right way and a wrong way.
> I was just checkin.
>


Um, by the way, I never said I was a tipist.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.