Velocity Reviews

-   -   external embedded or inline (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t155208-external-embedded-or-inline.html)

shank 10-06-2003 09:56 PM

external embedded or inline

I use an external style sheet mostly.
But if I have attributes on my home page that will never be used elsewhere,
does it really make a difference if I just use the inline CSS and move on?
Are there potential hazards with inline? It just seems like embedded is
overkill and external just adds clutter to the *.css file.

thanks!

Toby A Inkster 10-06-2003 10:06 PM

Re: external embedded or inline

shank wrote:

> I use an external style sheet mostly.
> But if I have attributes on my home page that will never be used elsewhere,
> does it really make a difference if I just use the inline CSS and move on?
> Are there potential hazards with inline? It just seems like embedded is
> overkill and external just adds clutter to the *.css file.

Better to put page-specific styles into a <style>...</style> block in the
document head. Opera does weird things with inline styles if the user
enables their own style sheet.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

William Tasso 10-06-2003 10:10 PM

shank wrote:
> I use an external style sheet mostly.
> But if I have attributes on my home page that will never be used
> elsewhere, does it really make a difference if I just use the inline
> CSS and move on? Are there potential hazards with inline? It just
> seems like embedded is overkill and external just adds clutter to the
> *.css file.

the 'hazards' are apparent rather than real until you repeat the style.

in addition it is a waste of bandwidth in situations where css is not
supported - your favourite se spider for example.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Jordge W. L. 10-07-2003 03:14 AM

shank wrote:

> I use an external style sheet mostly.
> But if I have attributes on my home page that will never be used elsewhere,
> does it really make a difference if I just use the inline CSS and move on?
> Are there potential hazards with inline? It just seems like embedded is
> overkill and external just adds clutter to the *.css file.

i use inline styles if it's just one page. I havn't had any problems
with it so far...