Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dynamic Layers and IE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154883-dynamic-layers-and-ie.html)

kev 09-16-2003 11:09 PM

Dynamic Layers and IE

Hi
I have a problem with the way IE displays layer. I have layers in a
table, links on the left td . and the corresponding layer on the right
td.
However, IE places a big gap when I mouseover the link. If I use Opera
or Netscape 7, it appears flush with where I positioned the tables in
DW.
Yes it used js, but hey I am a newbie ok?!?
lol
Advice appreciated considering that most of my users use IE...
link is:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sparrow/uwb/stoz.htm

Kev

kev 09-17-2003 10:01 AM

Re: Dynamic Layers and IE

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:09:38 +0100, kev <sparrow@ntlworldNOSPAM.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>I have a problem with the way IE displays layer. I have layers in a
>table, links on the left td . and the corresponding layer on the right
>td.
>However, IE places a big gap when I mouseover the link. If I use Opera
>or Netscape 7, it appears flush with where I positioned the tables in
>DW.
>Yes it used js, but hey I am a newbie ok?!?
>lol
>Advice appreciated considering that most of my users use IE...
>link is:
>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sparrow/uwb/stoz.htm
>

>Kev

No one have an idea why IE is doing this? How can I overcome it?
Thanks
Kevin

rf 09-17-2003 10:41 AM

Re: Dynamic Layers and IE

"kev" <sparrow@ntlworldNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:09:38 +0100, kev <sparrow@ntlworldNOSPAM.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >I have a problem with the way IE displays layer.

<snip>

> No one have an idea why IE is doing this? How can I overcome it?

I had a look earlier this morning but I decided that as your design in
flawed [1] I wouldn't go any further, waiting for somebody else to tell you
about the flaw.

I think you have found one of the many bugs with the IE box model.
Restructure your layout and you may avoid the bug. You may have to rewrite
the layout from the ground up.

[1] You are relying on javascript to present your content. This means that
tens or perhaps hundreds of millions of viewers out there can not view your
content. Stats suggest that 10 to 15% of viewers do not have/can not have
javascript.

What is wrong with a simple page hierarchy, a normal home page with links to
normal child pages?

Cheers
Richard.