Velocity Reviews

-   -   Q. How to dynamically update a web page, from user's input? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154829-q-how-to-dynamically-update-a-web-page-from-users-input.html)

Jim Jones 09-14-2003 02:57 PM

Q. How to dynamically update a web page, from user's input?

Hi,

I wantt o make a simple web pae, as an advertisement for a car repair
service. This is more of a friend to friend thing, rather than a paid
work assignment.

I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
scenario:

OK, he has a busy auto shop, repairing cars, and other equipment.
On some days, he may be so busy, he has to schedule his breathing.

How, by logging in to the net, could he fill out a simple form and
submit it to the net, and have it update a simple schedule on the
simple web page I'll create for him, to indicate something to the
effect of:

************************************************** ********************************
On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being busiest, John's shop for this week
looks like this:

Monday 3
Tuesday 2
Wednesday 5
Thursday 6
Friday 7

Customers, for this week, please note the lower numbers would be
better days for you to bring your car in for service.
************************************************** *********************************

I hope I've explained myself clearly enough, if not, I'd be delighted
to expand further, but let's keep this thread here, for others who may
possible wonder about such a task.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

Hywel Jenkins 09-14-2003 08:00 PM

Re: Q. How to dynamically update a web page, from user's input?

In article <bee8mv003lk3ms9oddrq4k7cvg4ndmobvs@4ax.com>,
harley.davidson@mailcity.com says...

http://www.php.net/
http://www.mysql.com/

--
Hywel

Chris Leonard 09-14-2003 08:14 PM

Re: Q. How to dynamically update a web page, from user's input?

> I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
> scenario:

There are so many different tools available to you, the fact you need to ask
this sort f question quite possibly means you've not got that much
experience so I'd stick to something simple.

Why not just upload different pages for busy, not so busy etc ...

If you want to get more complicated and use forms you will need to add a
database of some description.

Using a simple database and ASP code you could achieve this task quite
easily and with little code but you need to know how to write ASP code and
get it to create an on-the-fly web page. You will also need to set up your
friends site with a host etc etc ....

If this guy is so busy why doesn't he pay someone to do the work for him ?

If you really want to do this start by making the HTML pages with some nice
graphics on and then get someone to host these pages for you. When you're
happy with this code and you can access it on the net then try making a form
and using an ASP page to translate this form. When you've done this then go
for the database.

Jim Jones 09-14-2003 09:18 PM

Re: Q. How to dynamically update a web page, from user's input?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:14:34 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Leonard"
<c.leonardNOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
>> scenario:

>There are so many different tools available to you, the fact you need to ask
>this sort f question quite possibly means you've not got that much
>experience

gee, you think that's why i may have posted such an inquiry?
wild guess, but i'd say it is.

>so I'd stick to something simple.
>
>Why not just upload different pages for busy, not so busy etc ...
>
>If you want to get more complicated and use forms you will need to add a
>database of some description.
>
>Using a simple database and ASP code you could achieve this task quite
>easily and with little code but you need to know how to write ASP code and
>get it to create an on-the-fly web page. You will also need to set up your
>friends site with a host etc etc ....
>
>If this guy is so busy why doesn't he pay someone to do the work for him ?

Now, why would you ask something totally non-related to what I posted
in the original thread?

>If you really want to do this start by making the HTML pages with some nice
>graphics on and then get someone to host these pages for you. When you're
>happy with this code and you can access it on the net then try making a form
>and using an ASP page to translate this form. When you've done this then go
>for the database.

Chris, I kindly ask you not to bother with future questions I post
here.

Jim

Jim Jones 09-14-2003 09:19 PM

Re: Q. How to dynamically update a web page, from user's input?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:00:09 +0100, Hywel Jenkins
<hyweljenkins@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <bee8mv003lk3ms9oddrq4k7cvg4ndmobvs@4ax.com>,
>harley.davidson@mailcity.com says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wantt o make a simple web pae, as an advertisement for a car repair
>> service. This is more of a friend to friend thing, rather than a paid
>> work assignment.
>>
>> I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
>> scenario:
>>
>> OK, he has a busy auto shop, repairing cars, and other equipment.
>> On some days, he may be so busy, he has to schedule his breathing.
>>
>> How, by logging in to the net, could he fill out a simple form and
>> submit it to the net, and have it update a simple schedule on the
>> simple web page I'll create for him, to indicate something to the
>> effect of:

>http://www.php.net/
>http://www.mysql.com/

Thank You. They seem like interesting options for what I venture.
Now I have a decent clue.

Jim

William Tasso 09-15-2003 12:34 AM

Jim Jones wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:14:34 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Leonard"
> <c.leonardNOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>> I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
>>> scenario:

>> If this guy is so busy why doesn't he pay someone to do the work for
>> him ?

> Now, why would you ask something totally non-related to what I posted
> in the original thread?

This is usenet, not your personal helpdesk. Things get discussed, chewed
over and sapt out on news groups. Live with it.

> Chris, I kindly ask you not to bother with future questions I post
> here.

Please leave your ego at the door. Don't be so sensitive.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com