Velocity Reviews

-   -   Links and status-area (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154725-links-and-status-area.html)

xxx 09-07-2003 10:09 PM

Links and status-area

When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to appear
there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text there
myself.

Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link that
a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something about
the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or something
in visual basic.

Appreciate any help :)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-07-2003 10:47 PM

Re: Links and status-area

xxx pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
> When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
> button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to appear
> there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text there
> myself.

Why do you want to do that? What evil place are you going to take me that
you need to conceal it from me before I click? A porn site?

> Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link that
> a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something about
> the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or something
> in visual basic.

<a title="just a small help sentence" href="otherpage.html">My link</a>

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Andrew Davidson 09-07-2003 11:26 PM

Re: Links and status-area

"xxx" <email@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3f5bad15$1@news.broadpark.no...
> When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
> button of the screen (left hand corner).

That's the status bar / status message. It's there to help the user.

> I dont want the link to appear
> there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text there
> myself.

Yes, but (see above) you would be removing something that helps the user. Why
would you want to do that?

> Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link that
> a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something about
> the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or something
> in visual basic.

Yes, but why would you want to take away some useful text and then re-engineer
it somewhere else? Are you aiming to annoy your users?

>Appreciate any help :)

Give up these ideas - that's the best help I can give you right now.

--
Andrew Davidson

xxx 09-08-2003 06:42 AM

Re: Links and status-area

"Andrew Davidson" <andrew@NOSPAMThankyoucyber-home.net> wrote in message
> "xxx" <email@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
> > button of the screen (left hand corner).

> That's the status bar / status message. It's there to help the user.
>
> > I dont want the link to appear
> > there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text

there
> > myself.

> Yes, but (see above) you would be removing something that helps the user.

Why
> would you want to do that?

It was actually more out of curiosity that I was asking. Was thinking about
placing the name of the site now there instead of the link but I guess I'll
scratch that I idea.

> > Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link

that
> > a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something

about
> > the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or

something
> > in visual basic.

> Yes, but why would you want to take away some useful text and then

re-engineer
> it somewhere else? Are you aiming to annoy your users?
>
> >Appreciate any help :)

> Give up these ideas - that's the best help I can give you right now.

Think you missunderstood me. I'd like to add a informative text when the
user holds the mouse-poiner over a link and not the url which at times can
be very un-informative.

xxx 09-08-2003 06:42 AM

Re: Links and status-area

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.nous@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> xxx pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
> > When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at the
> > button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to appear
> > there, is there someway i can disable this or even better place a text

there
> > myself.

> Why do you want to do that? What evil place are you going to take me that
> you need to conceal it from me before I click? A porn site?
>
> > Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a link

that
> > a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might say something

about
> > the link, just a small help sentence, think it's call tooltip or

something
> > in visual basic.

> <a title="just a small help sentence" href="otherpage.html">My link</a>

Thanks :)

Nico Schuyt 09-08-2003 07:11 AM

Re: Links and status-area

xxx wrote:
> When a user holds the mouse over a link, the link address appears at
> the button of the screen (left hand corner). I dont want the link to
> appear there, is there someway i can disable this or even better
> place a text there myself.
>
> Another thing, is it possble to when a user holds the mouse over a
> link that a text field appear next to the mouse-pointer that might
> say something about the link, just a small help sentence, think it's
> call tooltip or something in visual basic.

Before you ask: Do a search in Google.
In this case look for: "html links" and "hide link address" First or second
hit wil do.
Nico

David Dorward 09-08-2003 08:42 AM

Re: Links and status-area

xxx wrote:
> It was actually more out of curiosity that I was asking. Was thinking
> about placing the name of the site now there instead of the link but I
> guess I'll scratch that I idea.

That's what the <title> tag is for.

>> Give up these ideas - that's the best help I can give you right now.

> Think you missunderstood me. I'd like to add a informative text when the
> user holds the mouse-poiner over a link and not the url which at times can
> be very un-informative.

I would hope that the content of the anchor element (<a>this bit here</a>)
would be enough to give the user enough of a clue as to the destination.
However, check out the title attribute as a means to give advisory
information about an element.

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/