Velocity Reviews

-   -   What Editor Do the Pros Use? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154517-what-editor-do-the-pros-use.html)

MiOc3n3 08-19-2003 12:56 AM

What Editor Do the Pros Use?

Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
designers use?
I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :-))

Thanks,
John

Gary 08-19-2003 01:10 AM

Re: What Editor Do the Pros Use?

In bhrsmt$2if8v$1@ID-45681.news.uni-berlin.de, MiOc3n3 at
miocene*nospam*@usa.com said:

> Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the
> pro designers use?
> I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
> scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other
> opinions.) :-))

An editor like Homesite or for building web sites via GUI Dreamweaver is
great.

Mark Parnell 08-19-2003 01:10 AM

http://polls.tdhay.com/poll_9.php?ac...s&poll_ident=9

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Pixel McGee 08-19-2003 01:12 AM

Re: What Editor Do the Pros Use?

"MiOc3n3" <miocene*nospam*@usa.com> wrote in

> Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of
> the pro designers use?
> I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html
> from scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some
> other opinions.) :-))
>
> Thanks,
> John

He's probably close to the truth. Most use a simple text editor. And if
they don't write their code from scratch (ie: don't use FrontPage,
ColdFusion, etc) then they really aren't "pros".

--
Pixel McGee
"The world is coming to an end. Please log off."

Adrienne 08-19-2003 01:17 AM

Re: What Editor Do the Pros Use?

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "MiOc3n3"
<miocene*nospam*@usa.com> writing in

> Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the
> pro designers use?
> I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
> scratch in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other
> opinions.) :-))
>
> Thanks,
> John

I use HTML-Kit because it colorizes the code that I write from scratch.
Since I do a lot of development in ASP, it's important to be able to
distinguish server side code from client side markup. I suppose one
*could* use a WYSISYG, but I don't trust them. It's easier for me to hand
code than to have to go back later to debug bloated tag soup some editor
spit out.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

e n | c k m a 08-19-2003 01:19 AM

Re: What Editor Do the Pros Use?

> Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
> designers use?
> I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from

scratch
> in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :-))
>
> Thanks,
> John

Speaking of editors, has anyone tried out TopStyle Pro 3.1 lately? It's
brilliant!
I thought it was really cool for CSS and XHTML development [especially for
standards compliancy].

Anyway, check it out if you get the time.
www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/ I think that's the URL.

Nick.

Kevin Scholl 08-19-2003 01:58 AM

MiOc3n3 wrote:

> Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
> designers use?
> I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
> in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :-))

Doesn't really matter. Any application is but a tool, what really
matters is the person using it. That is to say, if one knows how to use
an app properly, their results can be as good as any other.

That said, I think with any reasonable research you'd find that
color-coded text editors are popular for dynamic coding (ASP, PHP, JSP,
etc.), while Dreamweaver factors heavily in the mix for generating
simple HTML templates/files.

Kevin Scholl
kscholl@comcast.DELETE.net
Web Development and Graphic Design
http://www.interimag.com/~kscholl/professional/
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers
of the dreams...

Jim Royal 08-19-2003 02:09 AM

Re: What Editor Do the Pros Use?

In article <bhrsmt$2if8v$1@ID-45681.news.uni-berlin.de>, MiOc3n3
<miocene*nospam*@usa.com> wrote:

> Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
> designers use?
> I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from scratch
> in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :-))

I use BBEdit and hand-write all my page templates. For small sites, I
hand-write the entire site. It's not so bad when you use CSS-P and
server-side includes.

For large sites, I use a graphical tool for automation, although I keep
bouncing back and forth between DreamWeaver and GoLive.

--
Jim Royal
"Understanding is a three-edged sword"

Augustus 08-19-2003 03:56 AM

"MiOc3n3" <miocene*nospam*@usa.com> wrote in message
> Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
> designers use?
> I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from

scratch
> in Notepad. (I think he's nuts, but I wanted some other opinions.) :-))

I use Visual InterDev... I would suspect that most (but not all)
programmers who work with ASP use Visual InterDev/Visual Studio

As for writing HTML from scratch in Notepad... I think everybody who
considers themselves a pro at this should be able to code by hand, but that
doesn't mean they have to.

Personally, I don't really care what "most pros" use.... I do what I do and
I appear to be quite successful at it - I think if there is something that
makes you more productive and makes your work easier then it would be very
unprofessional to NOT use just because you thought it would be
unprofessional if you did

Clint

David Dorward 08-19-2003 05:06 AM

MiOc3n3 wrote:

> Of course the answer to this will vary, but what editor do most of the pro
> designers use?
> I ask this because a colleague swears that most pros write html from
> scratch in Notepad.

Emacs for designing templates, and (lately) Amaya to knock out text (which I
then double check by hand).

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/