Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Why VALIGN is not working in IE6, but is in dreamweaver (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154496-re-why-valign-is-not-working-in-ie6-but-is-in-dreamweaver.html)

Talc Ta Matt 08-16-2003 05:14 AM

Re: Why VALIGN is not working in IE6, but is in dreamweaver

> recommend Mozilla (or another browser which respects
>standards). ]

This is like recommending changing screen resolution to view the site, only
worse.

And anyone who doesn't build for MSIE is just asking for up to 95% of their
online income to fly out the window.

JT 08-16-2003 06:33 AM

Talc Ta Matt wrote in answer to:

>>> recommend Mozilla (or another browser which respects
>>>standards). ]

>This is like recommending changing screen resolution to view the site,
>only worse.
>And anyone who doesn't build for MSIE is just asking for up to 95%
>of their online income to fly out the window.

The browser stats for my 700 member club are:-
all versions of MSIE = 99% - other versions 1%

OS stats are 98% all Windows versions
1% Mac - 1% other versions

Steven 08-16-2003 07:18 AM

JT wrote:

>> This is like recommending changing screen resolution to view the
>> site, only worse.
>> And anyone who doesn't build for MSIE is just asking for up to 95%
>> of their online income to fly out the window.

> The browser stats for my 700 member club are:-
> all versions of MSIE = 99% - other versions 1%
>
> OS stats are 98% all Windows versions
> 1% Mac - 1% other versions

That's rather high, but indeed, most stats give IE at least 90%. Just sites
with a high-level technical/scientific content may get 20% and more for the
alternatives.

Would none of your club members convert to Mozilla (or Opera or ...) when
given the Choice? Almost no-one actually has chosen to use IE. Free Choice
is MS's major enemy, but as long as people are too daft to use their senses
MS is safe.
I can't understand that IT managers, who _have_ the choice, stay with IE
when everybody knows that its security leaks are a permanent threat on the
stability of the computer system. And most also use Outlook, which is even
worse.

My home page was built for Mozilla and has just 1 minor quirk in IE: 2 menu
items where there's no vertical spacing between them. Standard HTML 4.01. No
problem with Mozilla.
You don't loose all of your customers on that. Maybe one, and is s/he worth
the extra time and money you spent "fixing" it? I don't have the time to
dance to MS's tune.

BTW, as for the recommendation I clearly said "esp. for non-commercial
sites".

Steven

JT 08-16-2003 08:29 AM

"Steven" wrote in message to JT.

>> The browser stats for my 700 member club are:-
>> all versions of MSIE = 99% - other versions 1%
>>
>> OS stats are 98% all Windows versions
>> 1% Mac - 1% other versions

>That's rather high, but indeed, most stats give IE at least 90%. Just sites
>with a high-level technical/scientific content may get 20% and more for the
>alternatives.
>
>Would none of your club members convert to Mozilla (or Opera or ...) when
>given the Choice?

We are just your ordinary, average Joe Blogg and are perfectly happy with
IE.

>Almost no-one actually has chosen to use IE. Free Choice

is MS's major enemy, but as long as people are too daft to use their senses
MS is safe.

I do have Mozilla, but as a non tech, boring, average retired chap who
accepts to look at whatever the web site designer throws at me, be it
Frames, Tables, non CSS, or can't get past the first few lines of
Validation, so I still prefer IE which is so forgiving for the non tech,
don't know much Joe Blogg web site design chap who looks after our member's
web site. So I suppose that makes me and the rest of my club members daft.

Kris 08-16-2003 08:35 AM

Re: Why VALIGN is not working in IE6, but is in dreamweaver

In article <20030816011452.15759.00000095@mb-m12.aol.com>,
talctamatt@aol.com (Talc Ta Matt) wrote:

> > recommend Mozilla (or another browser which respects
> >standards). ]

> This is like recommending changing screen resolution to view the site, only
> worse.
>
> And anyone who doesn't build for MSIE is just asking for up to 95% of their
> online income to fly out the window.

Windows user <> Paying customer

--
Kris
kristiaan@xs4all.netherlands (nl)

Isofarro 08-18-2003 06:48 PM

Chris Morris wrote:

> Toby A Inkster <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> writes:
>> No, NN6 got called "crap" because it was slower than NN4 and crashed even
>> more often than its predecessor too. This is because it was based on beta
>> code (Mozilla 0.9.4, me thinks).

> That late? I think 6.0 was based on Mozilla 0.6, I

Milestone 18 IIRC.

--
Iso.
Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

Kris 08-19-2003 08:36 AM

Re: Why VALIGN is not working in IE6, but is in dreamweaver

In article <bhn12s.1tk.1@webbosom.online.de>,
Michael Weber <webster@kaffeeschluerfer.com> wrote:

> Hi Kris,
>
> [Sun, 17 Aug 2003 01:00:53 +0200/Kris]

> > > I know. So a mac-user becomes an MS-like-User: One choice less.
> > >

> > Actually, the range of browsers has only increased. To name a few:
> > Camino, Safari, Firebird, the OmniWeb browser.

> Since safari is part of OS X, there is no difference between IE &
> Win anymore...use it or not.

That is not true. It may be included with every new version of Mac OS X
as the default browser, but that is not much of a difference then with
the earlier situation in which IE/Mac was included, is it?

Safari is not part of the OS. Rendering libraries are part of the OS,
made public by Apple for developers to use in their own apps. The
OmniWeb browser for instance, uses these libraries and is by this
instantly up to standards again, compared to previous versions.

> Camino still is beta

And in my experience more stable than a lot of finished products that
are around.

> and Firebird is a "technology preview" with no
> guarantee of stability. Both based on the same mozilla-thing.

Rendering engine has little to do with how a browser works for a user.
It are things like performance, management of favorites, security
features, stability and speed that make it attractive.

> ICab
> is good but cant CSS2 yet, and Omniweb is based on safari

No. It uses the same rendering libraries. It is still a totally
different browser.

> and still
> in Beta2. Sure, a really big choice.

I don't see why not.

Kris 08-19-2003 08:41 AM

Re: Why VALIGN is not working in IE6, but is in dreamweaver

In article <bhoi1t.190.1@webbosom.online.de>,
Michael Weber <webster@kaffeeschluerfer.com> wrote:

> > > Since safari is part of OS X, there is no difference between IE &
> > > Win anymore...use it or not.

> > What? In what way is Safari part of OS X? Yes, it only runs on OS X
> > (currently), but it's not an OS component in the same way as IE for
> > Windows.

> It's the default browser of OS X. Safari uses Rendevouz, just like
> IE on PC uses some Win-Sys. I cant see a real difference.

What does Rendezvous have to do with it? Sure it uses RV to detect other
devices in a network who have their personal websharing up, but in no
way is that essential. You can just connect to those pages manually,
without RV.