Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Q. What's the 'most interesting thing' that can be done with plain html ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154431-re-q-whats-the-most-interesting-thing-that-can-be-done-with-plain-html.html)

spaghetti 08-09-2003 06:29 AM

Re: Q. What's the 'most interesting thing' that can be done with plain html ?

> Do you have examples of such pages both with AND without javascript ?

Oh look! Beautiful sites designed with HTML and CSS (styling for HTML). No
Javascript even. Take a look at
http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/

:)

e n | c k m a 08-09-2003 07:16 AM

Re: Q. What's the 'most interesting thing' that can be done with plain html ?

"spaghetti" <spaghetti@aspyre.net> wrote...

> Oh look! Beautiful sites designed with HTML and CSS (styling for HTML). No
> Javascript even. Take a look at
> http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/
>
> :)

I've got a question regarding that site...
Why are those topic headers (ie. "The road to enlightenment") background
images and not at least normal images or HTML headings? This can't be good
for accessibility, can it? With no alt/title text and all?

Or did I miss something somewhere saying that using background images as
headings were the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Nick.

Isofarro 08-09-2003 09:18 AM

e n | c k m a wrote:

> "spaghetti" <spaghetti@aspyre.net> wrote...
>>
>> Oh look! Beautiful sites designed with HTML and CSS (styling for HTML).
>> No Javascript even. Take a look at
>> http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/
>>
>> :)
>>

> I've got a question regarding that site...
> Why are those topic headers (ie. "The road to enlightenment") background
> images and not at least normal images or HTML headings?

It uses the Fahrner Image Replacement technique.

> This can't be good
> for accessibility, can it?

The original technique had some accessibility problems, but that has
recently been resolved. See
<http://www.isolani.co.uk/blog/access/AccessibleFahrnerImageReplacement>

> Or did I miss something somewhere saying that using background images as
> headings were the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Might have. Here's a source:
<http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2003-08.shtml>

--
Iso.
Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

e n | c k m a 08-09-2003 09:23 AM

Re: Q. What's the 'most interesting thing' that can be done with plain html ?

"Isofarro" <spamblock@spamdetector.co.uk> wrote...
> e n | c k m a wrote:
>
> > Or did I miss something somewhere saying that using background images as
> > headings were the greatest thing since sliced bread?

> Might have. Here's a source:
> <http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2003-08.shtml>

interesting! thanks for the links!
Nick.

Isofarro 08-09-2003 02:02 PM

Hmmm... Ian Lloyd over at accessify.com agrees with you there:
<http://www.accessify.com/archives/2003_08_03_news-archives.asp#106016107246297283>

Kris 08-09-2003 04:20 PM

Re: Q. What's the 'most interesting thing' that can be done with plain html ?

In article <Xns93D29771F331Bjkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

> > The original technique had some accessibility problems, but that has
> > recently been resolved.

> I didn't take a very close look, but I did not find a solution to the
> problem that when CSS is enabled and images are disabled, using background
> image and suppressing text display does not work well.

Will someone give Tom Gilder a medal then?
<http://blog.tom.me.uk/2003/08/07/gilder_image_transform_technique.php>

--
Kris
kristiaan@xs4all.netherlands (nl)

Jukka K. Korpela 08-09-2003 07:58 PM

Kris <kristiaan@xs4all.netherlands> wrote:

>> I didn't take a very close look, but I did not find a solution to the
>> problem that when CSS is enabled and images are disabled, using
>> background image and suppressing text display does not work well.

> Will someone give Tom Gilder a medal then?
> <http://blog.tom.me.uk/2003/08/07/gilder_image_transform_technique.php>

Maybe. I didn't see a demo there, and the markup sample lacks the crucial
class attribute, but the idea is apparently to use positioning so that an
element with empty content but a background image is laid over the text,
and it seems to work.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/