Velocity Reviews

-   -   Copyright (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154388-copyright.html)

Nico Schuyt 08-07-2003 05:04 PM

Copyright

Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
website?
Regards, Nico

Sid Ismail 08-07-2003 05:48 PM

Re: Copyright

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:04:34 +0200, "Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt@hotmail.com>
wrote:

: Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
: website?

Where did you find the pictures? Was there a copyright?

Sid

Nico Schuyt 08-07-2003 07:59 PM

Re: Copyright

Sid Ismail wrote:
> Nico Schuyt" wrote:

>> Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo)
>> on a website?

> Where did you find the pictures? Was there a copyright?

If the owner of the site doesn't state the copyright explicitly, it means I
can use the picture?
Nico

nice.guy.nige 08-07-2003 08:09 PM

Re: Copyright

While the city slept, Nico Schuyt <nschuyt@hotmail.com> feverishly
typed:

> Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo)
> on a website?

IANAL, but as far as I understand it copyright exists until 75 years after
the death of the artist.

I repeat. IANAL. There may be issues involved with the pictures you have.
You may better off asking this in a more legal-oriented group.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. nigel@nigenetDOG.org.uk. Take the dog out!
"How strange the change from major to minor..."

Nico Schuyt 08-07-2003 08:43 PM

Re: Copyright

Nico Schuyt wrote:
> Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo)
> on a website?

OK, thanks all for replying.
I think it's solved with the 'little risk' mentioned by François :-)
Regards, Nico

John W. 08-07-2003 09:59 PM

Re: Copyright

"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt@hotmail.com>:

>Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
>website?

You have an original?
If not you use a copy made by someone?

Doei.

John OO
--

<http://webcel.nl/>
<http://www.webcel.nl/bayshop/shop/bayshop.html>

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once"
- John Archibald Wheeler -

Andy Dingley 08-07-2003 10:11 PM

Re: Copyright

wrote:

>Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
>website?

Content is irrelevant. Who _created_ the picture ?

Stealing web images is more easily detected now than it used to be.
There's a good chance of getting caught doing it.

Richard 08-07-2003 11:43 PM

Re: Copyright

Nico Schuyt wrote:>>

> Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
> website?
> Regards, Nico

It's public domain and there is no copyright.
Regardless of the fact that a book publisher may claim they havc a
copyright, it is not on that painting, or any artwork from before 1900 or
so.
The only thing they can copyright is their own original work.

Richard 08-07-2003 11:48 PM

Re: Copyright

Nico Schuyt wrote:>>

> Sid Ismail wrote:
>> Nico Schuyt" wrote:

>>> Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo)
>>> on a website?

>> Where did you find the pictures? Was there a copyright?

> If the owner of the site doesn't state the copyright explicitly, it means
> I can use the picture?
> Nico

Not necessarily. If it's not in the public domain and they actually do have
a copyright on the artwork, then you could be walking on thin ice. The
copyright office will know if the artwork is public domain or not. Most well
known artist's works are public domain.
They just can't say they have a copyright and hope you don't steal the
image.
Many web site owners are under the wrong impression that what ever they put
on their site is copyright protected. It is not.

Toby A Inkster 08-08-2003 06:53 AM

Re: Copyright

Nico Schuyt wrote:

> Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
> website?

Do you mean pictures *of* ancient artists, or pictures *by* ancient
artists?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | mailto:tobyink@goddamn.co.uk | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:tai@jabber.linux.it