Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Avoiding double spacing before a blockquote (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154368-re-avoiding-double-spacing-before-a-blockquote.html)

Adrienne 08-06-2003 11:44 PM

Re: Avoiding double spacing before a blockquote

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Fred Camper"
<frednospamcamper@mindspringdontspam.com> writing in

> I'm trying to do a title followed by an indented list, but I don't want
> numbers or bullets, so I'm trying to use blockquote. But it always
> results in a double spacing before the blockquoted text; I don't want a
> spacing, just the list starting on the very next line. I've been
> reading about css but can't find a formatting method that will do this.
> Is there any way? It doesn't have to be with blockquote. I just want it
> to look like Title
> Item One
> Item Two
> etc.
> But I don't want to use the code for spaces because some of the items
> will be much longer than a single line in at some screen resolutions,
> and there will be no way to preserve the indents.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Here you go:

<h1 style="margin-bottom:0em">Title</h1>
<ul style="list-style-type:none; margin-top:0em">
<li>Item One</li>
<li>Item Two</li>
</ul>

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Fred Camper 08-07-2003 03:48 AM

Re: Avoiding double spacing before a blockquote

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I'm pretty much a novice at this. I tried to get
your commands to work by doing "style" commands in the head so that it would
apply to everything I designated but that didn't work. Your commands do what
I wanted if applied to each text list, though the title comes out in a very
large font, but I managed to fix that by adding font-size:12pt to the h1
style command. But the "title" is also bodlface, and adding
font-style:normal doesn't work; is there any way I can get the title to
appear in "normal" font (or italics?)

Thanks again.

Adrienne 08-07-2003 05:09 AM

> Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I'm pretty much a novice at this. I tried
> to get your commands to work by doing "style" commands in the head so
> that it would apply to everything I designated but that didn't work.
> Your commands do what I wanted if applied to each text list, though the
> title comes out in a very large font, but I managed to fix that by
> adding font-size:12pt to the h1 style command. But the "title" is also
> bodlface, and adding font-style:normal doesn't work; is there any way I
> can get the title to appear in "normal" font (or italics?)
>
> Thanks again.

You're looking for font-weight:normal . In addition, use em or percentages
for font-size.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Fred Camper 08-07-2003 07:11 AM

Yesssss!

> You're looking for font-weight:normal . In addition, use em or
percentages
> for font-size.

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to answer me. That really worked. And
I spent some hours learning the basics of CSS before posting here, which I'm
sure will prove useful later, but which didn't tell me how to do this. I
figured out to add a margin-bottom:0em to the ul style so that the line
under the list won't have a break either, and now it looks exactly as I
wanted.

You may not want to take time to answer this, but if you are willing: is it
OK to use the normal html font size commands and <i> etc. tags within these
blocks defined by <ul style=>? I've done so and it seems to work in both
Netscape and IE.

I've got no knowledge of html or CSS that would be useful to you, but if
you're interested in information on obscure avant-garde/"experimental" films
and some older Hollywood and foreign films, look at
http://www.fredcamper.com/

Fred

Sid Ismail 08-07-2003 10:10 AM

Re: Avoiding double spacing before a blockquote

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:48:27 -0500, "Fred Camper"
<frednospamcamper@mindspringdontspam.com> wrote:

: Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I'm pretty much a novice at this. I tried to get
: your commands to work by doing "style" commands in the head so that it would
: apply to everything I designated but that didn't work. Your commands do what
: I wanted if applied to each text list, though the title comes out in a very
: large font, but I managed to fix that by adding font-size:12pt to the h1
: style command. But the "title" is also bodlface, and adding
: font-style:normal doesn't work; is there any way I can get the title to
: appear in "normal" font (or italics?)
:
: Thanks again.
:

It's all explained here:
http://www.westciv.com/style_master/...s_on_tutorial/

Sid

Fred Camper 08-07-2003 04:47 PM

Re: Yesssss!

I take the point that the CSS font style command would be easier, and I can
see using it in the future (just having learned some minimal CSS), but is
there anything wrong with using the html font size and Italics tags in terms
of how the page displays? As I've said, it looks fine in both Netscape (7)
and IE (6).

Thanks in advance.

Fred Camper

Fred Camper 08-07-2003 04:48 PM

"Sid Ismail" <elsid@nospam.com> wrote in message > It's all explained here:
> http://www.westciv.com/style_master/...s_on_tutorial/

Thanks; that looks like a very useful tutorial compared to some others I
found.

Fred

Adrienne 08-07-2003 05:07 PM

Re: Yesssss!

> I take the point that the CSS font style command would be easier, and I
> can see using it in the future (just having learned some minimal CSS),
> but is there anything wrong with using the html font size and Italics
> tags in terms of how the page displays? As I've said, it looks fine in
> both Netscape (7) and IE (6).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Fred Camper

The font element is depreciated, and you should be using <em> instead of
looks okay in a browser, but whether the markup is logical. For example:
"I <em>really</em> mean it." You are putting emphasis on "really", and
"Get in here <strong>now</strong>!", conveys a strong emphasis on "now".

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Fred Camper 08-07-2003 05:46 PM

Well....

Taking your advice, I've made this

h2 {
font-size: 80%;
margin-bottom:0em;
margin-top:0em;
font-weight:normal}

To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want. Problem is,
when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break. Maybe I'm not
searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break the line at
this tag" command; is there one?

Also, are you recommending em and strong for pages using CSS, or for all
HTML pages?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 08-07-2003 06:02 PM

Re: Well....

Fred Camper pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
> Taking your advice, I've made this
>
> h2 {
> font-size: 80%;
> margin-bottom:0em;
> margin-top:0em;
> font-weight:normal}

h2 should be about 140% or so, not less than the default normal size.

> To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want.

...then use a style like this:

..smaller {
font-size: 90% }

and place the text in a paragraph:

> Problem is,
> when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break. Maybe I'm not
> searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break the line at
> this tag" command; is there one?

<h2> (h1-h6) is a heading, and should break the line. Non-breaking text
would be in a paragraph.

> Also, are you recommending em and strong for pages using CSS, or for all
> HTML pages?

All pages.

--
-bts