Velocity Reviews

-   -   Closing a frame in a frameset (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t154185-closing-a-frame-in-a-frameset.html)

James Hurrell 07-25-2003 04:03 PM

Closing a frame in a frameset

Hi All,

I have a three frame frameset (left, top and bottom - left runs the complete
length of the left hand side).

I'd like to do the following:
- include a link in the left frame that closes the left frame but keeps the
top and bottom frames in place
- include a link in the top frame that redisplays the left frame but keeps
the top and bottom frames in place

Does anyone know if this is possible and how I could go about implementing
it? Would it require a javascript? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any information gratefully received...

Many thanks,

James Hurrell
--
..

Isofarro 07-26-2003 08:23 PM

Re: Closing a frame in a frameset

Daniel Doman wrote:

> In a year or two, CSS layers will make more sense.

And what evidence can you claim to support this opinion?

--
Iso.
Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

Daniel Doman 07-27-2003 07:18 AM

Re: Closing a frame in a frameset

I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers if by
means other than getting new machines. Are you suggesting that CSS support
will always be bad?

Daniel Doman 07-27-2003 07:40 AM

Re: Closing a frame in a frameset

"hmmm... i'm not sure where z-index fits into your frames argument but
i'll take a guess.. i'm still having problems working with CSS so i'll
use any argument i can think of to muddy the waters and justify my use
of old outdated and poor practices. "

That somes kind of rude, and obviously does not refer to what I said.

Isofarro 07-27-2003 11:05 AM

Daniel Doman wrote:

> I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers if by
> means other than getting new machines.

Upgrade Internet Explorer 6 to what?

Isofarro 07-27-2003 11:06 AM

Daniel Doman wrote:

> BTW - I actually check user agent and generate whatever the browser
> supports in some cases.

Why am I not surprised this mediocre technique is _still_ in use?

EightNineThree 07-27-2003 12:10 PM

"Daniel Doman" <ddoman@panix.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure I follow. Over time, people will upgrade their browsers if by
> means other than getting new machines. Are you suggesting that CSS support
> will always be bad?

How do I quote correctly in Usenet? - Quoting and Answering

Karl Core

Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

EightNineThree 07-27-2003 12:10 PM

> OK - I'll bite: I don't see how Z-index has anything to do with this and I
> am happy to learn.
>
> As for browsers that don't support CSS properly or completely - well what
> should I do? Tell them to upgrade? If you want to use my site, come back
> with a better browser?
>
> I use CSS all over the place, but I found that there were too many

browsers
> that did not handle overflow:scroll properly or in some cases at all. It
> helps that Safari which did not support autoscroll at all has been fixed,
> but IE for OSX is still busted.
>
> Frames are a royal pain. No doubt. If you have a better idea I am all

ears.

EightNineThree 07-27-2003 12:10 PM

William Tasso 07-27-2003 03:02 PM

Isofarro wrote:
> Daniel Doman wrote:
>
>> BTW - I actually check user agent and generate whatever the browser
>> supports in some cases.

> Why am I not surprised this mediocre technique is _still_ in use?

mediocre ? are you feeling ok?

I was thinking 'hopeless' at best ;o)

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com