Velocity Reviews

-   -   Website charging (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153944-website-charging.html)

Blindsya 07-11-2003 12:35 PM

Website charging

I know I know, this has little to with HTML issues and I'm deeply sorry for
posting this on here. I live in the south west area of england and was
wondering how much I should charge for making a website for a small company
aas I don't even know where to start on pricing. The site consists of 10
pages of tables and text and another page which includes a form that posts
to an email address. Any help would be much appriciated.

Leif K-Brooks 07-11-2003 12:35 PM

Re: Website charging

Blindsya wrote:

> I know I know, this has little to with HTML issues and I'm deeply sorry for
> posting this on here. I live in the south west area of england and was
> wondering how much I should charge for making a website for a small company
> aas I don't even know where to start on pricing. The site consists of 10
> pages of tables and text and another page which includes a form that posts
> to an email address. Any help would be much appriciated.

1) Are those tables used for layouts? If so, you should be paying them.
2) Form posting to an email address? If I understood right, you're just
setting the action to "mailto:email@address.com"? If so, pay them some
more.

Blindsya 07-11-2003 12:48 PM

Re: Website charging

> Blindsya wrote:
>
> > I know I know, this has little to with HTML issues and I'm deeply sorry

for
> > posting this on here. I live in the south west area of england and was
> > wondering how much I should charge for making a website for a small

company
> > aas I don't even know where to start on pricing. The site consists of

10
> > pages of tables and text and another page which includes a form that

posts
> > to an email address. Any help would be much appriciated.

> 1) Are those tables used for layouts? If so, you should be paying them.
> 2) Form posting to an email address? If I understood right, you're just
> setting the action to "mailto:email@address.com"? If so, pay them some
> more.

No, I shall be using CSS positioning for layouts and what other way do you
suggest than using a simple mailto: in a form?

Hywel Jenkins 07-11-2003 12:54 PM

Re: Website charging

In article <bembj0$i6n$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, anom@anom.com says...
> > Blindsya wrote:
> >
> > > I know I know, this has little to with HTML issues and I'm deeply sorry

> for
> > > posting this on here. I live in the south west area of england and was
> > > wondering how much I should charge for making a website for a small

> company
> > > aas I don't even know where to start on pricing. The site consists of

> 10
> > > pages of tables and text and another page which includes a form that

> posts
> > > to an email address. Any help would be much appriciated.

> > 1) Are those tables used for layouts? If so, you should be paying them.
> > 2) Form posting to an email address? If I understood right, you're just
> > setting the action to "mailto:email@address.com"? If so, pay them some
> > more.
> >

> No, I shall be using CSS positioning for layouts and what other way do you
> suggest than using a simple mailto: in a form?

A proper form-handler. mailto: DOES NOT work.

To your original question, how much is your time worth? How much
experience do you have? Are you doing the design work, too? Do you
have office overheads to pay? Do you have a portfolio? Where is it?

--
Hywel Never knowingly understood
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

Matthias Gutfeldt 07-11-2003 12:57 PM

Re: Website charging

Blindsya wrote:
> I know I know, this has little to with HTML issues and I'm deeply sorry for
> posting this on here. I live in the south west area of england and was
> wondering how much I should charge for making a website for a small company
> aas I don't even know where to start on pricing. The site consists of 10
> pages of tables and text and another page which includes a form that posts
> to an email address. Any help would be much appriciated.

As a rule of thumb, charge whatever makes you feel good. There's no
point in working for peanuts, and there's no point in charging so much
that nobody hires you.

Or "shop around" and check out what similar webdesigners in your
country/area charge for similar work.

Matthias

Michel 07-11-2003 02:09 PM

Re: Website charging

mailto DOES work, but like ****.
use a php mailer script to post your form to.
That can be setup in minutes, and if you can't do it, I would be able to
help you out in a flash, no problem.

Michel

PS: 10 basic pages..... I'd say, be happy with 250 and do a really good job
on them

Richard 07-11-2003 04:49 PM

Re: Website charging

> I know I know, this has little to with HTML issues and I'm deeply sorry

for
> posting this on here. I live in the south west area of england and was
> wondering how much I should charge for making a website for a small

company
> aas I don't even know where to start on pricing. The site consists of 10
> pages of tables and text and another page which includes a form that posts
> to an email address. Any help would be much appriciated.

5 pounds a page if there's not much in the way of graphics, 10 pounds a page
if they want to add a ton of ads on it.
Charge more depending on how intense and time consuming it is to you.
If they want it that bad, they'll pay.

Hywel Jenkins 07-11-2003 06:39 PM

Re: Website charging

In article <bemgf3$puc$1@news.cistron.nl>, webmaster@handleiding-online-
nospam-aub.nl says...
> "Blindsya" <anom@anom.com> wrote in message

> sorry
> > for

> was

> > company

> > 10

> > posts
> > > 1) Are those tables used for layouts? If so, you should be paying them.
> > > 2) Form posting to an email address? If I understood right, you're just
> > > setting the action to "mailto:email@address.com"? If so, pay them some
> > > more.
> > >

> > No, I shall be using CSS positioning for layouts and what other way do you
> > suggest than using a simple mailto: in a form?
> >

> mailto DOES work, but like ****.

No, no, no, no. Never take advice from someone who top-posts.

> use a php mailer script to post your form to.

Except taht bit of advice.

Nicolai P. Zwar 07-11-2003 06:53 PM

Re: Website charging

Blindsya wrote:
> I know I know, this has little to with HTML issues and I'm deeply sorry for
> posting this on here. I live in the south west area of england and was
> wondering how much I should charge for making a website for a small company
> aas I don't even know where to start on pricing. The site consists of 10
> pages of tables and text and another page which includes a form that posts
> to an email address. Any help would be much appriciated.

No flat out answer is possible. How much work are you investing and how
much is your time and ultimately your effort worth?
A suit designed by Giorgio Armani costs more than one designed by John
Doe. Also, what is it that you are doing? Just the HTML code? Or will
you design the layout of the page(s), too? And the graphics as well?

--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com

Blindsya 07-11-2003 09:02 PM

Re: Website charging

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message news:bempup0ne0@enews3.newsguy.com...

> "Blindsya" <anom@anom.com> wrote in message
> > I know I know, this has little to with HTML issues and I'm deeply sorry

> for
> > posting this on here. I live in the south west area of england and was
> > wondering how much I should charge for making a website for a small

> company
> > aas I don't even know where to start on pricing. The site consists of

10
> > pages of tables and text and another page which includes a form that

posts
> > to an email address. Any help would be much appriciated.
> >

> 5 pounds a page if there's not much in the way of graphics, 10 pounds a

page
> if they want to add a ton of ads on it.
> Charge more depending on how intense and time consuming it is to you.
> If they want it that bad, they'll pay.

There was some site on the internet that was wanting 450 for 3 simple
pages! That I thought was just an incredible rip off as their own site was
pretty dire!