Velocity Reviews

-   -   robots.txt and search engines for frames website (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153689-robots-txt-and-search-engines-for-frames-website.html)

Daniel Vesma 06-30-2003 01:01 PM

robots.txt and search engines for frames website

Hi,

I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc. We want to get
the site listed on google (and ideally other search engines), so I was
wondering how best to construct the site to get it listed.

Should I use a robots.txt file to keep googlebot away from all pages
other than my index.html (the FRAMESET), and put a description of
the site in the <NOFRAMES></NOFRAMES> area?

How would you guys handle this? I've been out of the game for quite a
while, and search-engines seam to have changed. You have to pay to get
listed on some?

Ohhhhh, give me the days of IE4 and designing for 640x480!

DV

William Tasso 06-30-2003 03:51 PM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

Daniel Vesma wrote:
> Ohhhhh, give me the days of IE4 and designing for 640x480!

Without wishing to start a war <takes cover anyway> when ie4 was released
the 21" monitor on my workstation was set to a resolution somewhat different
to 640x800 and the O/S I was using then allowed windows to be resized
anyway.

--
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

brucie 06-30-2003 07:57 PM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

In post <bdpc50$fo6$1$830fa78d@news.demon.co.uk>
Daniel Vesma said...

> I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
> site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc.

that is not a reason to use frames. remove the frames.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzo...eb/frames.html
http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/frames/

--
brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 05:54:10 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Art Sackett 06-30-2003 08:44 PM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

Daniel Vesma <daniel@neilvesma.com> wrote:

Well howdy, Young Daniel! Long time no see. I hope all's well in your
world.

> I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
> site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc. We want to get
> the site listed on google (and ideally other search engines), so I was
> wondering how best to construct the site to get it listed.

Frames ain't it. ;-)

> How would you guys handle this?

This is one of those cases where I'd look to using a preprocessor such
as WML (if the content won't change often) or using SSI (if the content
will be changing often).

> I've been out of the game for quite a
> while, and search-engines seam to have changed. You have to pay to get
> listed on some?

It's certainly worth considering how much/little referral traffic each
can be expected to deliver before coughing up the cash. One can make a
good living on the referral traffic from Google and DMOZ, having never
spent a dime for a listing.

I have a client who shall remain nameless who spends far more money on
keeping their ranking at Overture than they'd have spent paying me to
keep them topped out at Google, and they'd have made far more sales as
a result. They're slowly coming to that realization... and it's only
been four years since we last updated their site. Wow.

> Ohhhhh, give me the days of IE4 and designing for 640x480!

No.

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication

Daniel Vesma 07-01-2003 07:30 AM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

>>I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
>>site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc.

> that is not a reason to use frames. remove the frames.

I know frames cause all sorts of hastle, and that they're not ideal for
getting your site listed. Indeed if designing from scratch, I wouldn't
use them at all. However, the client had a basic design in mind, and it
did require frames. The site is aimed at people who work in high-up jobs
in london advertising agencys. Those people will be using decent spec
machines.

Cheers,

DV

brucie 07-01-2003 07:39 AM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

In post <bdrd4g$k7h$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>
Daniel Vesma said...

>>>I'm developing a website for a photographic agent at the moment. The
>>>site using frames for navigation, thumbnails etc.

>> that is not a reason to use frames. remove the frames.

> I know frames cause all sorts of hastle, and that they're not ideal for
> getting your site listed.

they're not ideal for much of anything.

> Indeed if designing from scratch, I wouldn't
> use them at all. However, the client had a basic design in mind, and it
> did require frames.

i find that hard to believe

> The site is aimed at people who work in high-up jobs
> in london advertising agencys. Those people will be using decent spec
> machines.

"decent spec machines" has nothing to do with how crap they are. you
should be removing the frames not continuing the evilness.

--
brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 05:37:12 pm kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

brucie 07-01-2003 08:17 AM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

In post <bdrfoq$5ad$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>
Daniel Vesma said...

>>>Indeed if designing from scratch, I wouldn't
>>>use them at all. However, the client had a basic design in mind, and it
>>>did require frames.

>> i find that hard to believe

> He wanted a lot of large thumbnails in a band that could scroll, and to
> have a large image appear above them when one is clicked on. Sounds like
> frames to me.

sounds like CSS to me

--
brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 06:17:27 pm kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Daniel Vesma 07-01-2003 08:27 AM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

>>He wanted a lot of large thumbnails in a band that could scroll, and to
>>have a large image appear above them when one is clicked on. Sounds like
>>frames to me.

> sounds like CSS to me

Could that be achieved in CSS?

brucie 07-01-2003 08:36 AM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

In post <bdrgg2$ov2$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>
Daniel Vesma said...

>>>He wanted a lot of large thumbnails in a band that could scroll, and to
>>>have a large image appear above them when one is clicked on. Sounds like
>>>frames to me.

>> sounds like CSS to me

> Could that be achieved in CSS?

yep, i'm working on it now, gimme a while. i'm just finding some
suitable images.

--
brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 06:34:47 pm kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

brucie 07-01-2003 12:48 PM

Re: robots.txt and search engines for frames website

In post <bdrh46$106qm8$1@ID-117621.news.dfncis.de>
brucie said...

>>> sounds like CSS to me

>> Could that be achieved in CSS?

> yep, i'm working on it now, gimme a while. i'm just finding some
> suitable images.

http://usenet.alt-html.org/bugs/bugs.php

scroll doesn't appear until the browser width is around 770px. scroll
behavior is buggy with opera7 but still usable. seems ok with IE6 and
moz1.4.

--
brucie a. blackford. 01/July/2003 10:36:49 pm kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/