Velocity Reviews

-   -   page with no .html (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153688-page-with-no-html.html)

olwen 06-30-2003 12:40 PM

page with no .html

Help

I Have just printed brochures, directing people to go to a page called
..../party, rather than .../party.html

How can I insert a .../party page, and get the page to redirect (invisibly
and immediately) to .../party.html

please help urgently, as the brochure is being released tomorrow!

Thank you

Dylan Parry 06-30-2003 01:20 PM

Re: page with no .html

olwen wrote:

> Help
>
> I Have just printed brochures, directing people to go to a page called
> .../party, rather than .../party.html
>
> How can I insert a .../party page, and get the page to redirect
> (invisibly and immediately) to .../party.html

If you use Apache as your server, and you can use .htaccess files, then
you can do the following:

1. Create a file called "htaccess.txt" in a proper text editor - not word
or anything like that.

2. Put the following three lines of text in the file:

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
ReWriteRule ^/([A-Z0-9a-z_]*) /$1.html [L]

3. Upload the file in ASCII and rename it to ".htaccess"

This should work as long as your server is Apache and you can use
..htaccess files - but be warned that it will affect every URL you use for
your site.

--
Dylan Parry - http://www.DylanParry.com

Not playing any music, but savouring the silence.

Chris Morris 06-30-2003 01:41 PM

Re: page with no .html

Dylan Parry <dylan@webpageworkshop.co.uk> writes:
> > I Have just printed brochures, directing people to go to a page called
> > .../party, rather than .../party.html

> If you use Apache as your server, and you can use .htaccess files, then
> you can do the following:
>
> 2. Put the following three lines of text in the file:
>
> Options +FollowSymLinks
> RewriteEngine On
> ReWriteRule ^/([A-Z0-9a-z_]*) /$1.html [L]

Won't that redirect http://www.example.com/foo/bar to
http://www.example.com/foo.html and http://www.example.com/ to
http://www.example.com/.html

I think "Options +MultiViews" in the .htaccess file should be
sufficient and more effective if it works, but otherwise, something
like:
RewriteRule ^/([A-Z0-9a-z_/-]+[^/\.])$ /$1.html [L]
might be safer.

Another alternative if .htaccess files don't work is to move .../party
to .../party/index.html and assume that the server is configured
reasonably normally and redirects .../party to .../party/ This method
is probably the simplest, but has the disadvantage that any existing
links and bookmarks to party.html won't work, which may be a bigger
problem than it solves.

--
Chris

Dylan Parry 06-30-2003 01:46 PM

Re: page with no .html

Chris Morris wrote:

>> Options +FollowSymLinks
>> RewriteEngine On
>> ReWriteRule ^/([A-Z0-9a-z_]*) /$1.html [L]

> Won't that redirect http://www.example.com/foo/bar to
> http://www.example.com/foo.html and http://www.example.com/ to
> http://www.example.com/.html

The first example certainly does screw it up, I think the second does too
:o) Silly me!

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete 06-30-2003 02:22 PM

Re: page with no .html

In article <3f003065_2@news1.vip.uk.com>, olwen@marketingpower.co.uk
says...
> Help
>
> I Have just printed brochures, directing people to go to a page called
> .../party, rather than .../party.html
>
> How can I insert a .../party page, and get the page to redirect (invisibly
> and immediately) to .../party.html
>
> please help urgently, as the brochure is being released tomorrow!

Could you create a directory called ../party and put a copy of
party.html called index.html into that directory?

P@tty Ayers 06-30-2003 06:00 PM

Re: page with no .html

> Could you create a directory called ../party and put a copy of
> party.html called index.html into that directory?

That's what I'd suggest. :-)

--
P@tty Ayers
http://www.WebDevBiz.com

Geoff Ball 06-30-2003 06:25 PM

Re: page with no .html

Dylan Parry wrote:

> Chris Morris wrote:

>>> ReWriteRule ^/([A-Z0-9a-z_]*) /$1.html [L]

>> Won't that redirect http://www.example.com/foo/bar to
>> http://www.example.com/foo.html and http://www.example.com/ to
>> http://www.example.com/.html

> The first example certainly does screw it up, I think the second does too
> :o) Silly me!

Why not just:

Redirect permanent /party /party.html

Regards,
Geoff

--
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Geoff_Ball
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Web_Core_References

brucie 07-18-2003 10:59 PM

Re: page with no .html

In post <3f185d95.11934881@news.global.net.uk>
Mike said...

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...212139,00.html

--
brucie a. blackford. 19/July/2003 08:58:17 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Wipkip 07-19-2003 12:39 AM

Re: page with no .html - Ping brucie

brucie wrote:

Where are your images at http://loser.brucies.com/

--
Duende
------------

brucie 07-19-2003 01:37 AM

Re: page with no .html - Ping brucie

In post <Uq0Sa.683$Z64.449@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>
Wipkip said...

> Where are your images at http://loser.brucies.com/

the http referer must be http://loser.brucies.com/for the images to
display. if you have a look at the http responses you'll see the
images return a 403 if its not.

--
brucie a. blackford. 19/July/2003 11:32:04 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/