Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Image Protection (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153664-re-image-protection.html)

Garma 06-29-2003 04:40 AM

Re: Image Protection

> > I am currently looking for a way of protecting images on the web

In my opinion this is the best way to protect them, though it is not keeping
the images save. But this is the point: Since it it not possible to protect
them physical (read the other threads and responses) the best thing you can
do is letting the viewer know that this is your work. On the one side the
viewer is not annoyed by stupid scripts or plugins and on the other side you
are giving them some kind of responsibility, they know that they are acting
wrong if they steal your images. Since you didn't actually protect them it's
no fun stealing them and most people will accept that they are copyrighted.

For me, I have that special "gotcha" feeling when I get an image which is
"protected". A simple copyright line makes me skip over and look for other
images I could use.

I also suggest putting this line under the image, and in the image your sign
or name.

Erik

philsmithy 06-06-2005 07:38 PM

Re: Image Protection

this was brought to you by http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/

First download this image proection plugin, use it on your server i
you wish download from

http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/plugin.zip

Once you have downloaded and installed that plugin visit this page t
see how its done, to much to write down.

Remember if you do not have the plugin install you cant view the image
great way to stop people stealing your images

http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/protect.htm

Thank you

Philip Smit

--
philsmith
philsmithy's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=16

saz 06-06-2005 08:40 PM

Re: Image Protection

In article <philsmithy.1q8200@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au>,
philsmithy.1q8200@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au says...

> this was brought to you by http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/
>
> First download this image proection plugin, use it on your server if
> you wish download from
>
> http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/plugin.zip
>
> Once you have downloaded and installed that plugin visit this page to
> see how its done, to much to write down.
>
> Remember if you do not have the plugin install you cant view the images
> great way to stop people stealing your images
>
> http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/protect.htm
>
> Thank you
>
> Philip Smith
>

> --
> philsmithy
> philsmithy's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=167
> View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581569

I find it interesting that I was able to easily save images from their
site.

So much for that product.

David Dorward 06-06-2005 09:01 PM

Re: Image Protection

philsmithy wrote:

> First download this image proection plugin

Not available for my system. Great way to get customers that: force them to
install an obscure[1] plugin that only works on Windows.

If I could be bothered to boot up my Windows box and install it I expect I
could have the image copied in no time at all. However, I can't be
bothered, not to install it, and not to spend the time imaging the system
so I could be sure I've removed it again afterwards.

[1] i.e. untrusted

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Oli Filth 06-06-2005 10:25 PM

Re: Image Protection

philsmithy said the following on 06/06/2005 20:38:
> this was brought to you by http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/
>
> First download this image proection plugin, use it on your server if
> you wish download from
>
> http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/plugin.zip

Oh god, not another site offering this pointless HTML "encryption".
Anyone with half a brain and a bit of programming experience can get the
HTML out in about a minute.

Not to mention that your site becomes completely reliant on Javascript,
and some ****ing pointless plug-in. Great way to attract customers.

--
Oli

Steve Pugh 06-07-2005 08:46 AM

Re: Image Protection

philsmithy wrote:
> this was brought to you by http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/

And your connection to htmlblock.co.uk is? Do htmlblock.co.uk know that
you're spamming their products? And why are you responding to a two
year old thread?

> Remember if you do not have the plugin install you cant view the images
> great way to stop people stealing your images

No, it's a great way to stop people seeing your images at all. I'm not
going to install some plugin I've never heard of to view images on site
X, I'm going to go to site Y instead.

Steve