Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Server-Side Technologies confusion (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153523-re-server-side-technologies-confusion.html)

Web Developer 06-23-2003 12:46 PM

Re: Server-Side Technologies confusion

> "Web Developer" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm confused with all the server-side technologies that are
> > available for providing dynamic content.

> Have you considered reading some tutorialish material, or would you
> prefer getting the usual Usenet dose of added confusion? In the former
> case, you might start from the good old (though CGI oriented)
> http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/text/http-tut.html

I prefer Usenet dose of added confusion.

> > I gather so far is that cgi and servlets are programs that are
> > executed on the server-side to generate web pages.

> Not correct. But with sufficient amount of resemblance to facts to make
> you confused. To begin with, CGI is not a program but an interface, and
> CGI programs (CGI scripts) need not generate any Web pages, though they
> often do at leisure time (i.e., their prime function is often something
> completely different, but they might - and normally should - throw at
> least a short response page at a browser).

and what is the prime fucntion that cgi programs do?

> > Note, cgi is
> > obselete and has security programs and thus servlets are now used.
> > Am i right?

> No, you are not. Again with sufficient amount of resemblance to facts
> to make you confused. All server side technologies have security
> problems (sic), just as all software has (or, as we realists tend to
> emphasize, everything has).

what is sic?

well im sure cgi tends to have more security problems than others. Also,
there seems to be a push towards servlets and other technologies... for
whatever reason im not sure of. One could be the support for complex types?

> > asp, jsp, and php, and server-side scripting languages? Am i right
> > again?

> You do not present any statement (proposition) to which "right" or
> "wrong" could be attributed, just an enumeration of expressions.

what are you on about?

> > Is there anything im missing?

> Yes.

really?

---

Art Sackett 06-23-2003 01:28 PM

Re: Server-Side Technologies confusion

Web Developer <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

> well im sure cgi tends to have more security problems than others.

If you are sure of this, you are very much mistaken.

> Also,
> there seems to be a push towards servlets and other technologies... for
> whatever reason im not sure of.

micro$oft versus $un. $$$

> One could be the support for complex types?

Complex types? Types of what? Data types? How does the interface affect
the "types" supported by the underlying programming language?

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication

William Tasso 06-23-2003 01:54 PM

Web Developer wrote:
>> "Web Developer" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm confused with all the server-side technologies that are
>>> available for providing dynamic content.

>> Have you considered reading some tutorialish material, or would you
>> prefer getting the usual Usenet dose of added confusion?

> I prefer Usenet dose of added confusion.

Apparently so. A little googling would have found ...

>> All server side technologies have security
>> problems (sic), just as all software has (or, as we realists tend to
>> emphasize, everything has).

> what is sic?

.... this

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sic&r=67

<q>sic - Thus; so. Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one
containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its
original form or written intentionally.</q
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com