Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Broken image problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153500-re-broken-image-problem.html)

Charlie 06-23-2003 12:09 AM

Re: Broken image problem

> > I keep getting broken images on a site when I do not not use a trailing
> > slash:
> > http://www.superiorpics.com
> > However, when I do use a trailing slash all of the images load up just

> fine:
> > http://www.superiorpics.com/
> > The site is using Apache and Linux if that is any help!
> > Any help would be appreciated :)

Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

Mark Parnell 06-23-2003 01:08 AM

Re: Broken image problem

Charlie wrote:
>>> I keep getting broken images on a site when I do not not use a
>>> trailing slash:
>>> http://www.superiorpics.com
>>> However, when I do use a trailing slash all of the images load up
>>> just fine: http://www.superiorpics.com/
>>> The site is using Apache and Linux if that is any help!
>>> Any help would be appreciated :)

> Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

Have you configured your server to send the correct mime types yet? No
point in us suggesting other solutions if you haven't tried what we
suggested the other day yet.

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

mitan 06-23-2003 01:12 AM

Re: Broken image problem

Hi!
Charlie <noemail@noemail.com> wrote...
>>> I keep getting broken images on a site when I do not not use a
>>> trailing slash:
>>> http://www.superiorpics.com
>>> However, when I do use a trailing slash all of the images load up
>>> just fine: http://www.superiorpics.com/
>>> The site is using Apache and Linux if that is any help!
>>> Any help would be appreciated :)

> Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

I truly dont know if this will answer your problem but take a look at this
link, specially to the paragraph "Final Slash in Pathnames":
http://webtips.dan.info/subdir.html

Hope this help,
Regards,

--
Pascal aka mitan

Mark Jones 06-23-2003 01:28 AM

Re: Broken image problem

"Charlie" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
> > > I keep getting broken images on a site when I do not not use a

trailing
> > > slash:
> > > http://www.superiorpics.com
> > > However, when I do use a trailing slash all of the images load up just

> > fine:
> > > http://www.superiorpics.com/
> > > The site is using Apache and Linux if that is any help!
> > > Any help would be appreciated :)

> Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

I went through the config files on my PC and I can't
see any setting that would cause Apache to do this.

brucie 06-23-2003 01:32 AM

Re: Broken image problem

In post <UyrJa.6667$Jq3.1122015@news02.tsnz.net>
Charlie said...

> Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

the problem doesn't exist if the correct mime is sent with the images.
(as was said several years ago in the thread)

--
brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 11:31:26 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Mark Jones 06-23-2003 01:38 AM

Re: Broken image problem

"brucie" <brucie@loser.brucies.com> wrote in message
> In post <UyrJa.6667$Jq3.1122015@news02.tsnz.net>
> Charlie said...
>
> > Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

> the problem doesn't exist if the correct mime is sent with the images.
> (as was said several years ago in the thread)

Why exactly would that cause it? I can see the images
if I go to index.html, but not if I got to the root directory
and the default file is served. Why would there be a
difference when the same html file is served in both cases?

brucie 06-23-2003 01:42 AM

Re: Broken image problem

In post <bd5lm2$rfb$1@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>
Mark Jones said...

>>> Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

>> the problem doesn't exist if the correct mime is sent with the images.
>> (as was said several years ago in the thread)

> Why exactly would that cause it?

dunno, its a new one on me but at least you know the fix for it.

--
brucie a. blackford. 23/June/2003 11:41:29 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

William Tasso 06-23-2003 07:01 AM

Re: Broken image problem

Charlie wrote:
>>> I keep getting broken images on a site

> Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

Had a similar problem recently with images not loading fo no apparent
reason. IIRC the problem did not appear to be browser related.

This by no means scientific: I had a quick look at the images in some image
editing program, couldn't see anything out of the ordinary and finally in a
fit of desperation saved the files. Problem went away. No idea what or
why. It just worked.

--
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

Wipkip 06-23-2003 07:02 AM

Re: Broken image problem

William Tasso wrote:

>> Has everyone run out of ideas for what might be causing this problem?

> Had a similar problem recently with images not loading fo no apparent
> reason. IIRC the problem did not appear to be browser related.
>
> This by no means scientific: I had a quick look at the images in
> some image editing program, couldn't see anything out of the ordinary
> and finally in a fit of desperation saved the files. Problem went
> away. No idea what or why. It just worked.

You mean you just had them all in image editing program & had never saved them. LOL Now that's the
best story yet.:D

--
Duende

Wipkip 06-23-2003 07:25 AM

Re: Broken image problem

William Tasso wrote:
>>> This by no means scientific: I had a quick look at the images in
>>> some image editing program, couldn't see anything out of the
>>> ordinary and finally in a fit of desperation saved the files.
>>> Problem went
>>> away. No idea what or why. It just worked.

>> You mean you just had them all in image editing program & had never
>> saved them. LOL Now that's the best story yet.:D

> LOL: Foolish boy.
>
> No, I never create stuff with image editors. I have a complete
> absence of both skills and talent for all things graphical. These
> images came with the site I was fixing up - I have no idea how they
> were created.
>
> As I said: Not scientific (I can't reproduce the problem) but it
> worked.

I use a little image viewer (Firehand Ember) & frequently images show up as all black until I open &
save them. than they are fine. As far as I can figure is that they are missing bits of data that is
fixed when resaved.

--
Duende