Velocity Reviews

-   Microsoft Certification (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f24-microsoft-certification.html)
-   -   hard drive filling up (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153262-hard-drive-filling-up.html)

=?Utf-8?B?bXVkc3Vk?= 04-24-2006 06:57 PM

hard drive filling up

I think I have almost filled my C: by a couple of large "system restore's" I
did. Where can I find all the files this computer is saving in sys-restore
so I can delete them and start over (without going back to a full restore and
losing everything)? Thank you - Sam

Cerebrus 04-24-2006 07:37 PM

Re: hard drive filling up

Hi,

The System Restore settings can be accessed in the following way :

1. Right click the My Computer icon on the Desktop and click on
Properties.
2. Click on the System Restore tab.

Here you can turn of System Restore on all drives if you want. Clicking
on the Settings button for a particular drive will allow you
selectively disable Restore for that drive, and/or adjust the disk size
consumed.

This would be the recommended way of disabling System Restore. When you
do so, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you should
regain your disk space.

The files used for Restoration are stored at <Drive:>\System Volume
Information, which if I remember correctly, is a hidden or system
folder. But I would not recommend that you manually delete files from
there.

HTH,

Regards,

Cerebrus.

=?Utf-8?B?bXVkc3Vk?= 04-24-2006 09:34 PM

Re: hard drive filling up

Thank you so very, very, VERY much ! I just regained 40 gig thanks to you.
I REALLY appreciate the fix you willingly gave me. If you are anywhere
around Dallas/Ft.Worth I'll buy you a steak. Thanks very much again. Sam

Cerebrus 04-25-2006 02:35 AM

Re: hard drive filling up

He he, you're most welcome, Sam...

It is indeed surprising that 40 GB space was used up in this ! I
personally only turn on System Restore when I have some divine
intuition that my system is gonna crash ! ;-)

>> If you are anywhere around Dallas/Ft.Worth I'll buy you a steak.

Well, actually I'm quite far off in India, but if you come around here,
I'll buy you a Dosa...

Enjoy,

Regards,

Cerebrus.