Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mapping network drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153132-mapping-network-drive.html)

Windwatcher 04-24-2006 12:59 AM

Mapping network drive

I'm trying to get file/printer sharing setup on 2 computers. The newer one
shows up when I follow the Map Network Drive option on the tools menu, but
the older one doesn't. I've gone back to the Wireless network setup Wizard
and entered the name, etc., but it still doesn't show up in the workgroup.
Anybody know what the problem might be?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 04-24-2006 01:19 AM

Re: Mapping network drive

In news:Xs-dnTBx0K9Iv9HZnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@comcast.com,
Windwatcher <djpal1@comcast.net> typed:
> I'm trying to get file/printer sharing setup on 2 computers. The
> newer one shows up when I follow the Map Network Drive option on the
> tools menu, but the older one doesn't. I've gone back to the
> Wireless network setup Wizard and entered the name, etc., but it
> still doesn't show up in the workgroup. Anybody know what the problem
> might be?

The fact that it doesn't show up in your workgroup, doesn't have anything to
do with whether you can access it or map a drive to it.

What is your client OS? Can you post an ipconfig /all from each of the
computers?

Windwatcher 04-25-2006 02:50 AM

Re: Mapping network drive

Well thanks for replying, but I really don't understand the language. Do
you mean I am supposed to do run ad then enter ipconfig/all?Or is there
supposed to be a space in there? I hate to appear to be so dumb, but I
shouldn't be - I had ;my first computer in 1982 and have been managing more
or less ever since. But I do get annoyed with these answers that supposes
you have this specialized knowledge when you don't - after all, if you did,
you wouldn't be having these problems, right?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 04-25-2006 04:19 AM

Re: Mapping network drive

In news:2sydnXnVAbIXE9DZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@comcast.com,
Windwatcher <djpal1@comcast.net> typed:
> Well thanks for replying, but I really don't understand the language.
> Do you mean I am supposed to do run ad then enter ipconfig/all?Or is
> there supposed to be a space in there? I hate to appear to be so
> dumb, but I shouldn't be - I had ;my first computer in 1982 and have
> been managing more or less ever since. But I do get annoyed with
> these answers that supposes you have this specialized knowledge when
> you don't - after all, if you did, you wouldn't be having these
> problems, right?

Hi - please fix your newsreader so it doesn't snip out all the text to which
you're replying; it makes it nearly impossible for others to follow the
thread.

That said: nobody expects anyone to be an expert in here. When you don't
understand something, ask. Knowing how to get the ipconfig info I requested
isn't exactly specialized knowlege if you've done any sort of networking,
but there's no judgement inferred if you don't know it.

Go to start | run
Type
cmd
<enter>
Type
ipconfig /all >c:\blahblahblaht.txt
<enter>

and then post the contents of that file in here.

Socrates 04-25-2006 09:31 PM

Re: Mapping network drive

I've gone back to the Wireless network setup Wizard
and entered the name, etc., but it still doesn't show up in the workgroup.
Anybody know what the problem might be?

You haven't rebooted the computers. Correct?

www.amw1.com/faq

Eugene 05-09-2006 08:04 PM

Re: Mapping network drive

the basics-layer 1, layer 2, layer 3, etc...)

See if it is a Netbios issue or DNS issue.

1-PING by IPADDRESS
2-PING computer by name(uses DNS to try to resolve)
3-Use NET VIEW "name of computer" (uses Netbios to resolve)

Any errors, post replies!

No errors, try Start, Run and type in CMD.

@ command prompt, type in (example) NET USE Z:\\computername\foldername

Post results!

Eugene