Velocity Reviews

-   -   XP Home forgotten how to use WPA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t153088-xp-home-forgotten-how-to-use-wpa.html)

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?= 04-23-2006 03:37 PM

XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

Hi, I am successfully running a wireless LAN on WPA-TKIP. Saw on GRC.COM
that a strong pre shared key was required so am trying to change mine to
something stronger.
When in Properties for wireless network connection WPA is no longer an
option in any of the dropdowns, only WEP or nothing, its like XP has
forgotten that is running WPA.
Tried to download WPA patch from Windows but system errors because its
already installed.
Can anyone post an idiots guide of how to re-configure WPA settings. All
the ones I have seen on Windows support pages appear to be for new
installations.

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow 04-23-2006 03:49 PM

Re: XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?=
<SteveCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi, I am successfully running a wireless LAN on WPA-TKIP. Saw
> on GRC.COM that a strong pre shared key was required so am
> trying to change mine to something stronger.
> When in Properties for wireless network connection WPA is no
> longer an option in any of the dropdowns, only WEP or nothing,
> its like XP has forgotten that is running WPA.
> Tried to download WPA patch from Windows but system errors
> because its already installed.
> Can anyone post an idiots guide of how to re-configure WPA
> settings. All the ones I have seen on Windows support pages
> appear to be for new installations.

Have you selected WPA-PSK in the Network Authentication drop-down?
Otherwise you'll only be offered WEP.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?= 04-23-2006 04:09 PM

Re: XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

Thanks Frazer, but that is the exact problem, WPA-PSK is not offered in the
network authentification dropdown, only 'open' and 'shared'.
Looking at some other posts it appears a driver update for the network
adaptor might help, will try that and advise.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?= 04-23-2006 06:17 PM

"Steve Campbell" wrote:
> Thanks Frazer, but that is the exact problem, WPA-PSK is not offered in the
> network authentification dropdown, only 'open' and 'shared'.
> Looking at some other posts it appears a driver update for the network
> adaptor might help, will try that and advise.

Yes, try this. The Windows GUI won't show WPA if it believes that
the adapter does not support it.

--PA

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?= 04-23-2006 06:25 PM

Re: XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

Problem is cant find the driver I need, have emailed Belkin asking for the
WPA driver for f5d7000 card, if anyone knows where that driver is available
please let me know, thanks.

Sooner Al [MVP] 04-23-2006 07:07 PM

Re: XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

From Belkin perhaps... There are apparently a number of versions so make
sure you use the correct one...

http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...2&lang=1&mode=
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...3&lang=1&mode=
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...4&lang=1&mode=
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...5&lang=1&mode=

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Jack 04-23-2006 08:41 PM

Re: XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

Hi

Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) is not a "magician", if the Drivers do not
indicate the proper highest level of security support, or they are "Yo-yo"
Drivers that deviate from Windows guide lines, WZC is at lost.

Some manufactures of Entry Level Wireless are very Good in providing full
support and easy implementation of the Wireless Drivers taking into
consideration that many users want to use WZC, other are Not, you might find
Drivers that are attached to the Brand's Wireless Utility and when trying to
use WZC it does Not work because parts of the original Utility might be in
memory or as an active service, and it clashes with WZC.

Since some kind of a frame of reference is needed to decide on what is
working and what Not. If there is trouble, I disable WZC and try to
configure and use the Wireless with the original installation of the Brand
software. If it does not work as it should then I would take it directly
with the devices tech support.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 04-24-2006 01:01 AM

Re: XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

In news:F0C74D9C-E4C5-4D2A-8351-F51AB4CD3A32@microsoft.com,
Steve Campbell <SteveCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Problem is cant find the driver I need, have emailed Belkin asking
> for the WPA driver for f5d7000 card, if anyone knows where that
> driver is available please let me know, thanks.
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
>> "Steve Campbell" wrote:
>>> Thanks Frazer, but that is the exact problem, WPA-PSK is not
>>> offered in the network authentification dropdown, only 'open' and
>>> 'shared'.
>>> Looking at some other posts it appears a driver update for the
>>> network adaptor might help, will try that and advise.

>> Yes, try this. The Windows GUI won't show WPA if it believes that
>> the adapter does not support it.
>>
>> --PA

In addition to Sooner Al's reply with the Belkin links, note that it's also
possible that the Belkin came with wireless client software that will allow
you to use WPA (even if Windows WZC doesn't). Have you checked to see? You'd
need to tell Windows that it isn't to manage the wireless connection if so.

Sooner Al [MVP] 04-24-2006 10:47 AM

Re: XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

Or the other way around. I have to use WZC with my Belkin F5D7010 card...:-)

Belkin specifically states not to use their card manager with that card and
XP...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQ2FtcGJlbGw=?= 04-24-2006 06:19 PM

Re: XP Home forgotten how to use WPA

Thanks to everyone for your posts:
I dont belive the f5d7000 natively supports WPA, you have to configure the
card to use Windows, see this article on WPA from Belkin:
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...20Addendum.pdf

So my issue appears to be that neither on my Belkin Utility or in Windows is
there the option to control the wireless card with Windows, which is weird as
I have been doing so successfully for about 12 months; only when I wanted to
change the PSK did the problem arise.

So maybe I need to remove the Windows WPA patch and re-install it, does that
sound reasonable? This might make Windows offer the option to control the
wirless network device?